Top 15 D prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Incredible how Whitney is still underrated after his stellar play for both the WB Pens and Pitt Pens.

Sticky*

clay said:
1) Dion Phaneuf
2) Cam Barker
3) Ryan Suter
4) Jack Johnson
5) Niklas Kronwall
6) Fedor Tyutin
7) Braydon Coburn
8) Brent Seabrook
9) Andrej Meszaros
10) Anton Babchuk
11) Shawn Belle
12) Shea Weber
13) Ryan Whitney
14) Luc Bourdon
15) Carlo Coliaccavo

Staal is alot better than Coliacovo and Shawn Belle.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Looking at it from a Calder-eligable point of view, Whitney is 2nd after Phaneuf.

And people need to realize Whitney is not merely an offensive defenseman. This guy will win a Norris one day.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
jmelm said:
And people need to realize Whitney is not merely an offensive defenseman. This guy will win a Norris one day.
Good lord, you're really out of control when it comes to the Pens.

For all the hype Dion Phaneuf has garnered over the past two years, and for all the hype he is getting now for how well he is playing I still haven't said he will ever win a Norris, those things are just way to hard to predict.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
rydlar said:
According to HF:

1. Phaneuf
2. Suter
3. Barker
4. Coburn
5. Johnson
6. Tyutin
7. Kronwall
8. Babchuk
9. Seabrook
10. Meszaros
11. Weber
12. Belle

Any guesses on 13-15? That's as far as one can pull off their Top 50 list. I'd throw Matt Greene in there (7.0B - same as Belle) for the Oilers as potentially being in 13-15.

Also Ryan Whitney (don't know how he wasn't in there).

I'd take a BUNCH of people over Belle, also.

Staal, Whitney, etc etc.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
MrMastodonFarm said:
Good lord, you're really out of control when it comes to the Pens.

For all the hype Dion Phaneuf has garnered over the past two years, and for all the hype he is getting now for how well he is playing I still haven't said he will ever win a Norris, those things are just way to hard to predict.

I'm not at all out of control when it comes to the Pens. I will be the first to say that I believe some of their highly regarded prospects are over-rated.

But I believe, though you might disagree, that Whitney is at the same level as Phaneuf and Pitkanen and, thus, one of the top few young defensemen in the league. He has stepped in as a rookie and been sensational and the Pens #1 defenseman.

There's obviously a little hyperbole in my statement: I don't have a crystal ball and can't predict the future, but watching him play he looks like a future Norris winner. That's what I think and I'm sorry if that bothers you.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
jmelm said:
Looking at it from a Calder-eligable point of view, Whitney is 2nd after Phaneuf.

I would have to disagree Brent Seabrook would be in second place. Whitney has barely played any games. I don't see him getting any votes at this time.

NCSENSFAN

Sep 2, 2005
Sorry guys but the only person that I would take over Andrej Meszaros would be Phaneuf. Meszaros is a stud playing right now. when the A-train went down for two games this kid steped in and got top 4 mins, and they are using him on the PP. You can call me a Sens homer all you want but this kid is the real deal and only 19/20.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
jmelm said:
Why, because half his points came in one game? Unreal.

You go on and on.. and on about people ignoring Whitney, but then ignore all other players because your guy is doing well (nice goal on Thibault btw). Please don't ignore the play of Mezaros, Seabrook, Suter etc.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Keith Ballard playing over 20 minutes on a top 2 pairing and doing everything pretty well and only one very small mention. John Davidson saying he should be a longshot consideration for the US Olympic team. Has to be in the top 15.

espo*

NCSENSFAN said:
Sorry guys but the only person that I would take over Andrej Meszaros would be Phaneuf. Meszaros is a stud playing right now. when the A-train went down for two games this kid steped in and got top 4 mins, and they are using him on the PP. You can call me a Sens homer all you want but this kid is the real deal and only 19/20.
I don't think i'd easily take him number two after Dion but i agree he's looked real good for the Sens this year every game i've watched him play.He brings a nice game that kid.

Good pick at the table by the sens in that draft.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Jon Prescription said:
I'd take a BUNCH of people over Belle, also.

Staal, Whitney, etc etc.
Belle doesn't get enough credit around here. He's a big and strong defenceman, and an absolutely wonderous skater. He's likely the fastest skating blue-line prospect. He showed at the WJC just how good he can be when he's playing smart. (He should have been a tourney all-star, IMO). I think Belle could be a top-pairing defenceman.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
God Bless Canada said:
Belle doesn't get enough credit around here. He's a big and strong defenceman, and an absolutely wonderous skater. He's likely the fastest skating blue-line prospect. He showed at the WJC just how good he can be when he's playing smart. (He should have been a tourney all-star, IMO). I think Belle could be a top-pairing defenceman.
Shawn Belle - Iowa Stars AHL - 11gp, 0g, 0a, 0pts

c'mon buddy, are you serious?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
God Bless Canada said:

Doubt it. He's a poor man's Bret Hedican. He can skate like the wind and has nice size but has a two-cent brain and virtually zero offensive upside.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
God Bless Canada said:

Belle makes Tom Poti look effective.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rabid Ranger said:
Doubt it. He's a poor man's Bret Hedican. He can skate like the wind and has nice size but has a two-cent brain and virtually zero offensive upside.

RR -- you give Belle WAYYY too much credit.

One of the most overrated prospects in a long time, IMO.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Out of curiousity where would you place Taylor Chorney??? Top 30??? Top 40??? Top 50???

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
My list...

1. Phaneuf
2. Suter
3. Johnson
4. Kronwall
5. Meszaros
6. Tyutin
7. Barker
8. Seabrook
9. Coburn
10. Whitney
11. Bourdon
12. Weber
13. Thelen
14. Smid
15. Staal

Its hard to compare with some guys being 18 vs. early 20's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad