Top 100 for 2008 NHL draft

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I have seen they play for Frölunda next year and they will drafted 2009. I'm surprised from the danish juniors.

Who are the best german prospect in 2008?

Jerome Flaake and Soren Sturm. Simon Fischaber is promising too.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
The Danish have a lot good prospects the last years. (Kirill Starkov, Lars Eller)

What about the Swedish, Czechs, Finns and Russians?

SWE-Johan Motin, Andre Petersson, Mattias Tedenby, Anton Gustafsson, Anton Blomkvist.
CZE-Vladimir Roth, Tomas Knotek, Tomas Kubalik, Jacub Cania.
FIN-Pekka Jormakka.
RUS-Kirill Petrov, Nikita Filatov, Vyatcheslav Voynov, Sergey Ostapchuk, Andrei Loktionov.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I know. But Mark Mieritz or Sebastian Svendsen are better than Eller was when he was 15. They should be drafted even higher...

They are 2009 eligible, so do not expect them to be picked higher than Eller.
Svendsen is very small, I don't think he will be in 1st round. Meirietz has a good chance, but remember 2007-is considered as a weak draft, 2009 is considered as potentially one of the strongest if not the absolutely strongest draft in history. Meirietz may be a great talent, but there are so many great players that it's hard to predict in which round he will be selected.

Meischder

Apr 22, 2007
SWE-Johan Motin, Andre Petersson, Mattias Tedenby, Anton Gustafsson, Anton Blomkvist.
CZE-Vladimir Roth, Tomas Knotek, Tomas Kubalik, Jacub Cania.
FIN-Pekka Jormakka.
RUS-Kirill Petrov, Nikita Filatov, Vyatcheslav Voynov, Sergey Ostapchuk, Andrei Loktionov.

Thanks Garl!

A good year for Swedishs and Russians! Which european players have the chance to come under the top then in the draft?

Tobias

Oct 15, 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark
They are 2009 eligible, so do not expect them to be picked higher than Eller.
Svendsen is very small, I don't think he will be in 1st round. Meirietz has a good chance, but remember 2007-is considered as a weak draft, 2009 is considered as potentially one of the strongest if not the absolutely strongest draft in history. Meirietz may be a great talent, but there are so many great players that it's hard to predict in which round he will be selected.

Okay i didn't know that 09 is going to be a strong draft. But still, he should become better than Eller.

But seriously, look out for Svendsen anyway. He has had a solid boost the last year or so...

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Nice list, Schmidt reminds me of Bourdon. Physical, can skate, and has some good offensive gifts from the backend.

I hope it doesn't happen, but one of Schenn/Teubert is giving me Tyson Dowzak vibes...

I have yet to see Teubert live, but I've seen enough video of him to not be overly impressed. Definately a solid, solid player, but not in the same class as some of the other top D prospects in '08

Not going to be Schenn. He was better in his 16 yo year two seasons ago than Dowzak is now. Schenn is already light years ahead of Dowzak despite being a year and a half younger. Should be an easy first round pick, and could even be a possible top 5 if he can improve his quickness a little. Hits like a truck, already shows signs of physical dominance down low, intelligent in his own zone, smart with the puck although it isn't his strength, relied on in all situations and is already a leader on his team at 17, and his offensive upside seems to be a little better than initially thought. His mobility definitely needs work as is the case with most young guys his size, but he has a nice stride and is very strong on his skates. With a little more agility/footspeed and improved ability to make that turn, he should be capable of becoming a high end bruising defensive defenseman that is competent in the offensive zone and with the puck. Not a guy who will carry it out like an Ellerby, but he certainly can make a good quick smart outlet pass.

Luke Schenn impressed me so much this year that I had to double check and make sure he was still only 17. I thought he was far and away the best player for the Rockets every single time I saw them, he simply looked like one of their overagers at times, making the smart play virtually every time he touched the puck. Marring any injuries, I think he's the best defenseman eligible from the 'dub in '08 bar none, possibly the best player from the West period. Whoever drafts him is going to get a top-notch prospect, and he probably won't be the top defenseman picked in the draft.

kevinmac32

May 31, 2008
Sydney Novascotia
Is there anyone out there who can shed some light on what the top 100 prospects for the 2008 NHL draft might look like? i could probably make a list of notables from the QMJHL, but not the other CHL leagues or Europe.

Here is a list of who I think fit into the top 100 from the QMJHL

Kelsey Tessier
Chris Doyle
Yann Sauve
Kevin Poulin
Joel Champagne
Allan Clow
Jordan Southorn
Mark Barberio
Dannick Paquette
Maxime Sauve
Patrice Cormier
Phillipe Cornet
Alexandre Neron
Jordan Caron
Pascal Amyot
Luke Adam
Shaun Mortin boutin
Samuel Morneau
Philip Devos

I am sure I am missing 3 or 4 but I think I have most of them. By the way, that list is in no particular order. Look forward to seeing what anyone might come up with for the top 100 overall

2 Eagles Joey Haddad and Mathieu Brodeur are expected to go from 1-3 round range

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Well 1 year later and both Sebastian Svendsen and Mark Mieritz are still looking very, very good. Svendsen absolutely needs to add 2 inches or so to be considered in the top half of the 1st round, unfortunately, while Mieritz could also afford to do the same, but I think he's a bit taller. Both excellent though and its players like this that make me really look forward to '09.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
2 Eagles Joey Haddad and Mathieu Brodeur are expected to go from 1-3 round range

Not much stock is put into the combine, except to find out a bit of what type of person each kid is, as far as personality and resiliency, but IMO Brodeur won't touch the top 2 or 3 rounds, with the performance he had (at least accordingly) at the Combine.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Adam seemed to have a better season, any information on him?

My pick to be a Pat Bergeron from this draft. He's big, skilled, physical, can skate, defensively responsible, works the wall, plays a variety of roles...just one of those guys that no one wants to put their bottom on the line for because he doesn't have that one standalone trait(s).

I would take him late first, but (as I'm seeing in doing my mock) I may be a little biased in that projection.

eightyseven

Mar 4, 2008
I think the big 5 for the U.S. will be

Hayes
Wahl
McRae
Wilson
Jenks

I think all 5 will be top 15 picks as of right now, plus you can always add additionally a highschooler or 2, a USHL guy, two USNTD players, and a college guy or 2 for the first round, since that seems to be the norm as of late. obviously ballparking that big time, but that seems to be the way things have gone down as of the past few years. we still have a year to figure out who will fill those spots, but I wouldnt count out Bourque, Youso, and Comrie to rise for next season. IMO.

No way all them are top 15 picks except for Wilson. Wahl had an impressive playoffs so he's going to go definitely higher than 64th (where he is rated) but I still think he's going in the 2nd round.

EDIT: I just realized some of these posts are from 1 year ago. No wonder.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
holy blast from the past!
interesting to see how much some rankings have changed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad