Top 100 for 2008 NHL draft

gotothenet

May 15, 2007
Is there anyone out there who can shed some light on what the top 100 prospects for the 2008 NHL draft might look like? i could probably make a list of notables from the QMJHL, but not the other CHL leagues or Europe.

Here is a list of who I think fit into the top 100 from the QMJHL

Kelsey Tessier
Chris Doyle
Yann Sauve
Kevin Poulin
Joel Champagne
Allan Clow
Jordan Southorn
Mark Barberio
Dannick Paquette
Maxime Sauve
Patrice Cormier
Phillipe Cornet
Alexandre Neron
Jordan Caron
Pascal Amyot
Luke Adam
Shaun Mortin boutin
Samuel Morneau
Philip Devos

I am sure I am missing 3 or 4 but I think I have most of them. By the way, that list is in no particular order. Look forward to seeing what anyone might come up with for the top 100 overall

gotothenet

May 15, 2007
Oops. thanks for the correction. Any users please feel free to add any legitimate players that I may have missed.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Luke Adam?? Seriously? i really cannot see him being a top prospect for an nhl draft. I watched him play all year, and even though hes younger, mario kempe is ranked in the 50's for this years draft, and adam isnt even close to being as good as kempe. Maybe if he could skate he would have a good future, but if not i dont see it...

Duff88

May 7, 2002
This early, it's pretty useless and pretty much impossible to do a well educated and intelligent top 100. Things are going to change and players are just starting to show what they're able to do. It's alright to talk about the big names, maybe the top 30 even if most of them are pretty much going to fall off the face of the earth by draft day, but going down the list is just useless.

Canadienjet

Dec 7, 2006
Adam had an avrage rookie season really came on in the second half another guy to look for the 08 draft is Taylor Mcdougall best faceoff man on the team.

gotothenet

May 15, 2007
Hey...we are not drafting tomorrow, but its not too early to make a preliminary list. You can be sure the scouting services out there will have a list of 100-200 for 08 as soon as this years NHL draft is complete, but I think its a great exercise to see how accurate we can be looking forward.

I did consider Taylor Macdougall for my list....was kinda iffy as to whether he should be on it. Could have gone either way. theres no right or wrong here folks, but lets try to assemble a list. I am not a scout....thats why i am asking those of you out there who are, how this list would shape up.

:)

Canadienjet

Dec 7, 2006
mine from the q
1:Yann Sauve
2:Kevin Poulin
3:Patrice cormier
4:antione Tardif
5:Mark Barberio
6:Phillipe cornet
7:Kelsey tessier
8:Chris Doyle
9:Maxime sauve
10:shawn morin boutin

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
I'll take a stab at the Minnesota High Schools. There are seven skaters ranked in the top 100 and two goalies ranked in the top 10 of the CSB 2007 Final Rankings. There'll be less than that for 2008, but here are some good candidates (in no particular order)...

D - Joe Gleason - Edina (UND)
F - Jake Youso - International Falls (UMN)
F - Jake Johnson - Duluth Denfield
F - Adam Mueller - Roseville (MSUM)
F - Cory Thorson - Robbinsdale Armstrong
D - Drew Olson - Brainerd
F - John O'Neill - Anoka
F - Jared Festler - Little Falls (SCSU)
F - Nick Larson - St. Thomas Academy
F - Keegan Flaherty - Duluth East
F - Tyler Landman - Roseau
F - Mike Fink - Hopkins (UND)
D - Aaron Ness - Roseau (UMN)

Ness might be the most skilled of this bunch, but size will keep him out of the first round. The same goes for Gleason and Festler. Youso could be the highest one drafted. There's lots of skill here, but not much size.

G - Aaron Crandell - St. Thomas Academy
G - Brady Hjelle - International Falls (UMD)
G - Joe Phillippi - Hill Murray
G - Mike Lee - Roseau

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
Luke Adam?? Seriously? i really cannot see him being a top prospect for an nhl draft. I watched him play all year, and even though hes younger, mario kempe is ranked in the 50's for this years draft, and adam isnt even close to being as good as kempe. Maybe if he could skate he would have a good future, but if not i dont see it...

The first law of prospect evaluation is you don't hold a weak 16-year-old season against them when they're playing against 19 and 20 year olds. Look at Allard - he was crap last year and this year has played himself into a potential late round pick.

bulgaria

Mar 13, 2006
photo-forum.net
1Nikita Filatov

VINMONTY

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
Other players to consider (most prep school - but don't think any will fall in the top 100):
Adam Comrie - Omaha (USHL) **maybe 2nd round**
Alex Velischek - NJ Devils (Midget) - don't know where playing next year ??
David Boehm - Cedar Rapids (USHL)
David Gerths - Culver Acad
David Warsofsky - Cushing Acad. **next yr. NTDP**
Derrick Pallis - Nobles
Ian Graves - Nobles
Jake Williams - NMH
Jimmy Hayes - NTDP ***Top 5***
Lee Moffie - Avon
Mark Goggon - Choate
Matt White - Cushing
Patrick Mullane - Avon
Paul Dimitruk - Exeter
Ryan Bourque - Cushing **next yr. NTDP**
Ryan Grimshaw - NTDP
Tyler Pistone - Nanaimo (BCHL)
Zach Bogosian - Petes (OHL)
Zach Martin - Hotchkiss

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think the big 5 for the U.S. will be

Hayes
Wahl
McRae
Wilson
Jenks

I think all 5 will be top 15 picks as of right now, plus you can always add additionally a highschooler or 2, a USHL guy, two USNTD players, and a college guy or 2 for the first round, since that seems to be the norm as of late. obviously ballparking that big time, but that seems to be the way things have gone down as of the past few years. we still have a year to figure out who will fill those spots, but I wouldnt count out Bourque, Youso, and Comrie to rise for next season. IMO.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Other players to consider (most prep school - but don't think any will fall in the top 100):
Adam Comrie - Omaha (USHL) **maybe 2nd round**
Alex Velischek - NJ Devils (Midget) - don't know where playing next year ??
David Boehm - Cedar Rapids (USHL)
David Gerths - Culver Acad
David Warsofsky - Cushing Acad. **next yr. NTDP**
Derrick Pallis - Nobles
Ian Graves - Nobles
Jake Williams - NMH
Jimmy Hayes - NTDP ***Top 5***
Lee Moffie - Avon
Mark Goggon - Choate
Matt White - Cushing
Patrick Mullane - Avon
Paul Dimitruk - Exeter
Ryan Bourque - Cushing **next yr. NTDP**
Ryan Grimshaw - NTDP
Tyler Pistone - Nanaimo (BCHL)
Zach Bogosian - Petes (OHL)
Zach Martin - Hotchkiss

velischek is a late 1990, hes 2009 eligible. hes playing nj colonials aaa midget major and for delbarton school. the colonials are supposedly a stcked midget team this year, and should have no problem making it to nationals, if all the players they have stay on the team. im pretty sure he plans to finish his junior year of high school next year, then head off to the ushl.

matt white is eligible this year. he probably would be drafted alot higher, and we'd be talking about him alot more had he opted to go to the ushl.

ryan bourque is a 1991, and he wont be a 1st rounder in 2009. 2nd to 6th, too early to tell.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia

Hayes
Wahl
McRae
Wilson
Jenks

I think all 5 will be top 15 picks as of right now, plus you can always add additionally a highschooler or 2, a USHL guy, two USNTD players, and a college guy or 2 for the first round, since that seems to be the norm as of late. obviously ballparking that big time, but that seems to be the way things have gone down as of the past few years. we still have a year to figure out who will fill those spots, but I wouldnt count out Bourque, Youso, and Comrie to rise for next season. IMO.

i think mcrae will have a big year, dont know if he'll end up in teh top 15 though. i think zach bogosian will be there though. i heard sam lofquist had a good year on defense with the ntdp. i think guys like saponari and czarnik could move with the coaching change and more offensive freedom. also mike cichy could also be thrown in the mix, but its unkown now where he'll end up.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
allard had a better rookie season than adam imo. but what im saying is that just because allard broke out the next year you think adam will. even though he is still young, how can you rank him as one of the top prospects for the nhl draft after those numbers.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA

Hayes
Wahl
McRae
Wilson
Jenks

Colin Wilson was the pivot on the top line for the NTDP with James van Riemsdyk and Jordan Schroeder during the IIHF U-18 WC. He tied with JvR for the tournament lead in scoring and finished 1pt behind JvR w/ 74pts on the season. He seems to be developing into a top 15 pick for the '08 draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad