Top 10 Team Canada Goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
What are the most important goals scored by Canada? These can be any international tournament. World Juniors, Canada Cups, World Championships or the Olympics.

1. Paul Henderson 1972 Game 8 of the Summit Series. A great play by Esposito to get the puck to the net. Henderson did the rest even though he missed his first chance. The amazing thing was there was only 34 seconds left in the game.

2. Mario's goal in the 1987 Canada Cup Game 3. Similar to the Henderson but this time there was only 1:30 left to go in the game. 3on1 and a great shot my Mario.

3. Paul Henderson Game 7 of the Summit Series. With over three seconds left Henderson dekes passed the Soviet defenceman and goes top corner. It was a amazing goal and without it his goal in game 8 would have been meaningless.

4. Mario's goal in game two of the 1987 Canada Cup. It was double overtime. Both teams were going end to end and both goalies were playing great. Similar to the Henderson goal in that without it Mario's goal in game three wouldn't have happened.

5. Canada Cup 1976 Game 2. Canada won the first game 5-0 against the Czechs. The second game was closer. Bill Barber scored a late third period goal to send it into overtime. Darryl Sittler got a break down the left hand side, he faked the shot and put it passed the Czech goalie.

6. Mike Bossy 1984 Canada Cup, the semi final game against the Soviets. The Soviets has beaten the Canadians bad in the 1981 Canada Cup 8-1. Canada was looking for revenge. This team started off slow. It was 2-2 I believe in overtime. Paul Coffey makes a great defensive play to break up a two on one and he takes it into the Soviet's zone and Bossy tips Coffey's shot. Canada beats Sweden in the final to win the Canada Cup.

7. Peter Mahovlich Game 2 of the Summit Series. Canada was leading 2-1 and they were killing a penatly. Mahovlich takes the puck up the ice he faked the shot went around the Soviet defenceman and he made an incredible move on Tretiak.

8. Vincent Lecavailer 2004 World Cup Semi Final. Canada was outplayed in this game. After getting one goal leads the Czechs would come right back and score. The game went into overtime and after a great save by Luongo, Vincent gets the puck in front of the net and goes top corner.

9. John Slaney 1991 World Juniors. Canada had to beat a Russian team that had Moginly Fedorov and Bure. If they tied the game the Russians would get gold. It was 2-2 and in the third period Slaney gets the puck at the point and blasts it passed the Russian goaltender.

10. Anson Carter 2003 World Championship. Canada was trailing 2-0 early to Sweden. Canada quickly tied it by goals by Horcoff and I forget the other player( I think it was Morrow). The game went into overtime and Anson Carter went around the net and wrapped the puck in the net.

monkey_00*

Nice list..........Brings back alot of memories...........I saw #2 and #4 Live here in Hamilton at the Copps Coliseum.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
canucksfan said:
What are the most important goals scored by Canada? These can be any international tournament. World Juniors, Canada Cups, World Championships or the Olympics.

1. Paul Henderson 1972 Game 8 of the Summit Series. A great play by Esposito to get the puck to the net. Henderson did the rest even though he missed his first chance. The amazing thing was there was only 34 seconds left in the game.

2. Mario's goal in the 1987 Canada Cup Game 3. Similar to the Henderson but this time there was only 1:30 left to go in the game. 3on1 and a great shot my Mario.

3. Paul Henderson Game 7 of the Summit Series. With over three seconds left Henderson dekes passed the Soviet defenceman and goes top corner. It was a amazing goal and without it his goal in game 8 would have been meaningless.

4. Mario's goal in game two of the 1987 Canada Cup. It was double overtime. Both teams were going end to end and both goalies were playing great. Similar to the Henderson goal in that without it Mario's goal in game three wouldn't have happened.

5. Canada Cup 1976 Game 2. Canada won the first game 5-0 against the Czechs. The second game was closer. Bill Barber scored a late third period goal to send it into overtime. Darryl Sittler got a break down the left hand side, he faked the shot and put it passed the Czech goalie.

6. Mike Bossy 1984 Canada Cup, the semi final game against the Soviets. The Soviets has beaten the Canadians bad in the 1981 Canada Cup 8-1. Canada was looking for revenge. This team started off slow. It was 2-2 I believe in overtime. Paul Coffey makes a great defensive play to break up a two on one and he takes it into the Soviet's zone and Bossy tips Coffey's shot. Canada beats Sweden in the final to win the Canada Cup.

7. Peter Mahovlich Game 2 of the Summit Series. Canada was leading 2-1 and they were killing a penatly. Mahovlich takes the puck up the ice he faked the shot went around the Soviet defenceman and he made an incredible move on Tretiak.

8. Vincent Lecavailer 2004 World Cup Semi Final. Canada was outplayed in this game. After getting one goal leads the Czechs would come right back and score. The game went into overtime and after a great save by Luongo, Vincent gets the puck in front of the net and goes top corner.

9. John Slaney 1991 World Juniors. Canada had to beat a Russian team that had Moginly Fedorov and Bure. If they tied the game the Russians would get gold. It was 2-2 and in the third period Slaney gets the puck at the point and blasts it passed the Russian goaltender.

10. Anson Carter 2003 World Championship. Canada was trailing 2-0 early to Sweden. Canada quickly tied it by goals by Horcoff and I forget the other player( I think it was Morrow). The game went into overtime and Anson Carter went around the net and wrapped the puck in the net.

Pretty good list. I think that Lecavalier goal though is just listed as it happened recently. I'm not sure if you remember, but Theoren Fleury scored a goal against Sweden under similar circumstances. It was in overtime of the semi finals of the World Cup in 1996, I think, and it was one of the most exciting games ever, except it isn't really part of Canadian hockey lore. I say in 10-20 years, that Lecavalier goal really won't be remembered, much like the Fleury goal isn't remembered 9 years after it happened.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Tricolore#20 said:
Pretty good list. I think that Lecavalier goal though is just listed as it happened recently. I'm not sure if you remember, but Theoren Fleury scored a goal against Sweden under similar circumstances. It was in overtime of the semi finals of the World Cup in 1996, I think, and it was one of the most exciting games ever, except it isn't really part of Canadian hockey lore. I say in 10-20 years, that Lecavalier goal really won't be remembered, much like the Fleury goal isn't remembered 9 years after it happened.
I do remember that goal. The reason why I put the Lecavailer goal ahead of Fleury's was because of the fact that Canada won the Cup in 2004 and didn't in 1996.

The 1996 game against Sweden was an excellent game.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
although the winning goal wasn't particularly special (deflection, wasn't it?), i think something from the 2002 Olympics should be mentioned, just because of how much it meant to the country

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
arrbez said:
although the winning goal wasn't particularly special (deflection, wasn't it?), i think something from the 2002 Olympics should be mentioned, just because of how much it meant to the country
The game winning goal was scored by Sakic. It went off an American defenceman's stick. I dont think it's the most memorable goal in that game. The first goal by Kariya and the last goal by Sakic were more memorable.

I was thinking about putting in Sakic's goal but the game was out of reach and his goal for sure sealed the game. The 2002 Olympics was one of Canada's greatest hockey moments but there isn't one goal that really stands out.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
The 1984 Coffey play (with a bit of credit to Bossy, but I think it was on its way in anyway ;) will live in my heart as the most exciting goal I ever saw. That's when I really, really cared about hockey and I can't imagine another play taking its place..

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I think the Kariya goal should be on this list. It was truly a magnificent play by Mario, faking the shot, and Kariya basically had an open net. An amazing play that opened the scoring in the biggest game for Canada since 1972.

Thank you for including the Slaney goal to beat the Soviets in 1991. That's the greatest WJC game I've ever seen. So much emotion, so much talent, so much on the line, goes to show a tournament doesn't need a gold medal game for the title to be legitimate. It was also the last truly epic game between Canada and the U.S.S.R. I always go out of my way to watch this game.

Even though I dispise the shootout, I think Robitaille's goal to beat the Finns in the 1994 WC gold medal game merits a spot, too. It ended 33 years of WC drought for Canada.

Fleury's goal at the 1996 World Cup against Sweden was nice, I'd rank it ahead of Lecavalier's, but I think that goal is glamourized because it happened in one of the best games in World/Canada Cup history. I'd rank Kariya and Robitaille's goals ahead of Fleury's, or Lecavalier's, for that matter.

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
I remember how exciting that game against Sweden was.. I've waited forever for some channel to replay it some time.. It is so forgotten by everyone and I need to appreciate it again for just how good it was.

Feb 24, 2004
Certainly Joe Sakic's goal in the gold medal against the States. Just the raw emotion from Gretzky and Bob Cole, as well as the players mobbing each other, it's definitely the defining goal of this generation for Canadian hockey. I think we'll all remember Bob Cole's call of that baby.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
leafs4thecup said:
Certainly Joe Sakic's goal in the gold medal against the States. Just the raw emotion from Gretzky and Bob Cole, as well as the players mobbing each other, it's definitely the defining goal of this generation for Canadian hockey. I think we'll all remember Bob Cole's call of that baby.

I think I remember Iginla's third period goal most of all, the one that made it 4-2. I remember him blasting the shot and the puck just ripping through Richter's glove and trickling to the goal line... you could hear everyone in the room catch their breath and then explode. And if you watch the clips of Gretzky's reaction, you can easily see the weight of 31 million Canadians getting off his shoulders. That goal clinched it, we knew we were gonna win after that. By the time Sakic scored at the end, the party was already underway...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->