Top 10 Swedish prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
While we're on the topic, what is your take on Lars Jonsson? He has posted career highs in scoring but do you feel he has improved as a prospect over the first half of this season? How has his defensive play been? Is he a legitimate NHL prospect at this point?
The reason I ask is that the Bruins have a decision to make this off-season. It's been said that if they do not sign him by June 1st, they will receive the 37th pick in the 2006 draft as compensation so they have to decide which is more valuable.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Dragan Umicevic... I was hoping for a breakout season, but he has been pretty mediocre IMO (just like the whole team). I question his desire. Which is why I do not have him in the top 10.[/QUOTE]

Statistically Dragan seems to be having a better season, 20 points now in 39 games (last year 19 in 47), also keep in mind last year he played with Jokinen, I know more was probbaly expected of him this year..but all in all considering his team and his age..is his production so bad?

phillypensfan

Aug 3, 2005
Anyone know anything about David Lidstrom? Was kinda curious about what kind of player he is and even maybe if he is related to Nick Lidstrom of the Wings.

leafaholix*

phillypensfan said:
Anyone know anything about David Lidstrom? Was kinda curious about what kind of player he is and even maybe if he is related to Nick Lidstrom of the Wings.
no, he's not.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
borro said:
I was hoping to get some response from Predatore on one other Cap prospect and one former Caps son. What can you tell me about Oscar Hedman. Does he have the size and grit to play in the NHL at 6'0? Also, can you give me the skinny on Bengt Gustafsson's son. Bengt was one of the best stickhandlers I have ever seen and a great Cap!

Oscar Hedman is coming along nicely. He has plenty of muscles and weight to go with that rather short body, so size will not be an issue. However, I would have like to see him develop a more physical game. Rarely do I see him make those big hits, unfortunately. His hockey sense is still great and he has some good offensive potential. I'd say he could become a No. 4-6 defenseman in the future. Most prospect fans here in Sweden talk about his young brother. 15-year old national team player named Victor Hedman. He is already 6'4 and clearly the best defenseman in his age group.

Patric Blomdahl is having an okay season as a fourth liner / role player in Linköping (SEL). He sure can hit and work hard, but that is a bout it. I do not see him make it to the big show, but then again, he could break out and become a Tomas Holmström type of player. Not likely, though.

Andreas Valdix is struggling big time in the Swedish second tier league. I do not know what is up (or should I put it, down) with his scoring, but he has been mediocre this season. I guess he needs to regain his confidence, because he has got som decent offensive skills. Looks like a long-shot at this point.

I have not seen that much of Anton Gustafsson, but he is a decent prospect. I would not say he is among the top prospects born 1990, but he is good enough to play on the Swedish national team. People that have seen Anton play more than me, say he is a clone of his father... with the exact same two-way game and skating.

borro said:
Can you tell me if he translates well to the NHL? The Caps will draft 3-5 and I know Caps scout Ross Mahoney was scouting Backstrom recently. Is he a great skater? Power player? How would he do on a line with Ovechkin and Zubrus? Thanks! Also, would he be difficult to sign? The Caps are looking for someone to compete in camp, imho.

Not a great skater IMO, but a good one. He stickhandles so smoothly through traffic, that it looks as he is faster than he actually is. Not a bad skater by any means, but I see some room for improvement. Without a doubt, Bäckström is the best power play prospect I have seen in some years. Reminds a lot about Peter Forsberg when he is on the PP and has the exact same role. Very often does he also use flip passes successfully. Since he such a good playmaker, I'd say he do very well with a guy like Ovechkin. Bäckström is a pretty decent scorer too, although a natural playmaker IMO. I know that the Minnesota Wild and St. Louis Blues have been scouting him closely this and last week. He would not be easy to sign though (despite being fairly NHL ready). Bäckström has said he wants another year in the SEL before moving.

BronxBruin said:
While we're on the topic, what is your take on Lars Jonsson? He has posted career highs in scoring but do you feel he has improved as a prospect over the first half of this season? How has his defensive play been? Is he a legitimate NHL prospect at this point?

Jonsson's offense/scoring has improved (finally) and he appears to be more solid defensively as well. However, he is playing on the top team in the league and does not face as many tough situations as in the past. I still think Jonsson plays somewhat risky and tries to overwork situations. I'd say it is a 50/50 shot he will make it as an NHL defenseman. I do not see him more than a No. 3-6 defenseman, possibly playing on the second PP unit.

HOCKEY_GURU said:
but all in all considering his team and his age..is his production so bad?

To be honest, I have not looked too much on Dragan's production. Although one of my favourite players, I think he is inconsistent and does not bring it every night. Also, he really stunk it up badly when playing for team Sweden internationally before Christmas. It was very obvious that level of play was much too high for him, as he lacked both the intensity and endurance to play international hockey.

phillypensfan said:
Anyone know anything about David Lidstrom?

Lidström is a very mobile two-way defenseman with good hockey sense and a decent passing game. Ranks as a top 8-10 defenseman in his age group, but I do not see him being drafted because of his smallish stature.

Last edited:

Waveburner

Sep 22, 2002
Where would Alexander Edler rank on your list? Having a solid first season in the WHL, albeit with a powerhouse Kelowna team. Also what are your thoughts on Nicklas Danielsson? Any NHL potential there?

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
I have some more prospects for you Predatore! What kind of potential and chance of fullfilling that do see in these prospects:

Marcus Jonasén
Daniel Fernholm
Jonas Ahnelöv
Viktor Ståhlberg
Jonas Johansson
Fredrik Sjöström
Andreas Holmqvist
Patrik Hersley

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
CuSa_1 said:
How about Kahnberg?

A flashy offensive player with great technical skills and a good scoring touch. Personally, I think he is too soft and mediocre defensively while not being special enough offensively to have an impact in the NHL. A poor man's Kristian Huselius. I hope I am wrong though, since he is a very entertaining player to watch that often scores spectacular goals.

Waveburner said:
Where would Alexander Edler rank on your list? Having a solid first season in the WHL, albeit with a powerhouse Kelowna team. Also what are your thoughts on Nicklas Danielsson? Any NHL potential there?

I'd say around 20 or so. He was the 6-7th defenseman on the Swedish WJC team which included several undrafted guys. From the reports I received, he was mediocre. However, he seems to be performing well in the WHL and if he polishes his defensive and physical game, I can definitely see him having an impact in the NHL.

Nicklas Danielsson is doing very well this season. Not in the SEL though, but in the Swedish second tier league. I see him signing with a SEL team next season, but as of now there is little pointing towards him becoming a NHLer. A longshot.

B Boarding said:
IWhat kind of potential and chance of fullfilling that do see in these prospects:

Marcus Jonasén
Daniel Fernholm
Jonas Ahnelöv
Viktor Ståhlberg
Jonas Johansson
Fredrik Sjöström
Andreas Holmqvist
Patrik Hersley

Jonasén: career minor leaguer, appreciated SEL player
Fernholm: No. 5-6 defenseman in the NHL
Ahnelöv: No. 4-6 defenseman in the NHL
Ståhlberg: Career minor leaguer
Johansson: Career minor leaguer, I expect him back in Sweden soon.
Sjöström: Pretty much what he is now. I hope he will be able to translate his offensive game/skills/scoring to the NHL, but I would not be surprised if he ends up being a hardworking and skating role player.
Holmqvist: Career minor leaguer
Hersley: No. 4-6 defenseman in the NHL.

With the exception of Sjöström, none of the above are sure to make it to the NHL IMO. Personally, I am a big fan of Hersley and I like the offense + physical game... that he brings to each game.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
HOCKEY_GURU said:
I would have thouhght many others have surpassed Fransson by now..seems to me hes been quite an under achiever.

Fransson seems to have hit a wall, quit frankly. He isn't even skating as well as he used too. A big problem for him have been the fact that his team have been under allot of pressure and not commited to develop him. He is a offensive D who likes to take the puck up ice, though every single time he have made a misstake he have been benched up untill this year. It seems like that have really taken a toll on his condfidence. Kind of simular situation as Christian Bäckman was in, Bäckman was practically not even a regular in the SEL before he moved to the NHL at the age of 20.

Fransson still have a ton of potential. I still think he was a steal in the 2nd round for Dallas. Even last year with all the NHLers in the SEL he had some amazing games. If he can translate his game to the NHL he will become a really good player down the line. He isn't the type of guy who have allot of flashy skills but can't get it together. He is already a great D but he must cut down on the misstakes, a misstake is as costly in the SEL as it is in the NHL. Besides that he must of course as all young D's gain experience ect but that will come with time.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
Hagos may not be atop 10 guy but is doing okay in the ahl. Still has achance as alower line checker I think.

Has Lundqvist's skating improved enough for Dallas to sign him? Kinda suprised they did not last season. Next Year, Edmonton will not supply players to Iowa I believe and Fransson should be signed and with few centers Lundqvist could although Rob Hisey who is playing well in Finland and who has been to stars camps could as well.

For those of you interested Mattias Tjarnqvist while not putting up points is playing pretty well. What works against him is his two way deal while others have to go through waivers if sent down. He has outplayed Perrot though and has been pretty nasty line with Ott and Barnes. Had acouple of assists recently and had a goal called back.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Predatore said:
A flashy offensive player with great technical skills and a good scoring touch. Personally, I think he is too soft and mediocre defensively while not being special enough offensively to have an impact in the NHL. A poor man's Kristian Huselius. I hope I am wrong though, since he is a very entertaining player to watch that often scores spectacular goals.

I agree, I also have a hard time to see Kahnberg successfull in the NHL, but as you say, I hope he prove me wrong. He hasn't showed his great game in any WCH yet, he is often on the roster but seem to diseappear when the competition gets thougher. He has amazing stickhandling skills though, and a good frame, and if he can improve his stamina he'll be a threat in the NHL. Hopefully some of the nasty guys in NA can teach him how to play pysichal.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Predatore said:
To be honest, I have not looked too much on Dragan's production. Although one of my favourite players, I think he is inconsistent and does not bring it every night. Also, he really stunk it up badly when playing for team Sweden internationally before Christmas. It was very obvious that level of play was much too high for him, as he lacked both the intensity and endurance to play international hockey.

Hmm, I think your're overracting on Dragans performance in Rosno Cup. Yes, he is inconsistent, lacks speed and is easy to knock of the puck, but I think he showed some great offensive creativeness while playing for Sweden. He must work up his stamina and hopefully become a better skater to be an everyday threat. I really want Dragan to succed, but he is far away from the NHL right now IMO. Hopefully he'll play in the AHL next season...

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
While this is going how about Stralman. What type of potential does he have, also what style does he play? Does he have any type of mean streak/physical dimension to his play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->