Top 10 Swedish prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rez

Oct 5, 2005
Just wondering who the top 10 or so Swedish prospects are right now? As a North American, I really don't hear much about the current prospects outside of Bergfors.

Thanks.

EDIT: Also, wanted to add a bit of a sidebar. I know Nik Backstrom hasn't been drafted yet, but how good is he expected to be?

Last edited:

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Among drafted prospects, I'd say something like this:
1. Henrik Lundqvist (NY Rangers) (although I guess, pretty much graduated by now)
2. Nicklas Bergfors (New Jersey)
3. Alexander Steen (Toronto) (pretty much graduated)
4. Robert Nilsson (NY Islanders)
5. Carl Söderberg (St. Louis)
6. Loui Eriksson (Dallas)
7. Nicklas Grossman (Dallas)
8. Johan Fransson (Dallas)
9. Johan Ryno (Detroit)
10. Jonas Nordquist (Chicago)

Nicklas Bäckström would have been #2 behind Lundqvist had he been drafted. Mikael Backlund (born 1989) would have been #1 or #2 if he had been drafted.

Rez

Oct 5, 2005
Thanks for your insights, Predatore.

I noticed you didn't include Johannes Salmonsson on your list. I recall him being a pretty big stud about a year ago, but I checked his latest stats and they don't seem very impressive. What happened to him?

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
nomoment said:
Thanks for your insights, Predatore.

I noticed you didn't include Johannes Salmonsson on your list. I recall him being a pretty big stud about a year ago, but I checked his latest stats and they don't seem very impressive. What happened to him?

he has been struggling with his game in North America and having some problems adjusting to the game, I have heard. Ironically, he had a monster performance tonight scoring a goal and three assist. I could have easily had Salmonsson (who had a great WJC tournament a few weeks ago) No. 10, so consider him being about there in my (personal) ranking.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Joakim Lindstrom just signed a pro contract with the Jackets, he could be making his NHL debut any game now. What do you see his NHL future as?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Predatore said:
Among drafted prospects, I'd say something like this:
1. Henrik Lundqvist (NY Rangers) (although I guess, pretty much graduated by now)
2. Nicklas Bergfors (New Jersey)
3. Alexander Steen (Toronto) (pretty much graduated)
4. Robert Nilsson (NY Islanders)
5. Carl Söderberg (St. Louis)
6. Loui Eriksson (Dallas)
7. Nicklas Grossman (Dallas)
8. Johan Fransson (Dallas)
9. Johan Ryno (Detroit)
10. Jonas Nordquist (Chicago)

Nicklas Bäckström would have been #2 behind Lundqvist had he been drafted. Mikael Backlund (born 1989) would have been #1 or #2 if he had been drafted.
No Umicevic? Is that because you don't consider him Swedish or because you just don't think he's top 10?

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Joakim Lindström ... should be around the top 10-15 or so, IMO. I hope to see him pan out as a second or third liner that chips in offensively.

Dragan Umicevic... I was hoping for a breakout season, but he has been pretty mediocre IMO (just like the whole team). I question his desire. Which is why I do not have him in the top 10.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Predatore said:
Dragan Umicevic... I was hoping for a breakout season, but he has been pretty mediocre IMO (just like the whole team). I question his desire. Which is why I do not have him in the top 10.

Ok, fair enough. It looked to me (by just his stats, though) that he was coming along nicely. It looks like he's doing as well as last year, but on a bad team with no Jokinen.

A Good Flying Bird*

Two of my favorite Swede prospects aren't on this list.

Niklas Hjalmarsson and Frederik Pettersson.

Can anyone tell me how they're doing this season?

Rez

Oct 5, 2005
Predatore: What kind of NHL player does Carl Soderberg figure to be? A 2nd liner?

SUPERMAN

Feb 29, 2004
Loui Eriksson lead the Swedish prospects in goal 15 + assist 14 = 29 points, he has been one of the stars more than 10 games, ha has been nominated to the player of the month in AHL oct 2005 and jan 2006.

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
TinCanCommunications said:
Two of my favorite Swede prospects aren't on this list.

Don't know about Pettersson but Hjalmarsson has been injured the whole season, he is expected to be back in 3-4 weeks I think I read. He has a contract with HV71 until 2007.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
SUPERMAN said:
Loui Eriksson lead the Swedish prospects in goal 15 + assist 14 = 29 points, he has been one of the stars more than 10 games, ha has been nominated to the player of the month in AHL oct 2005 and jan 2006.

I believe he got another 2 points yesterday...started slow but i think hes starting to come around.

One player I thought i would see his name here is Oduya... perhaps someone who knows more about him can say where theyd put him on this list.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
HOCKEY_GURU said:
I would have thouhght many others have surpassed Fransson by now..seems to me hes been quite an under achiever.

He has not had a great season, that is correct. Upside is still great though, although he is definitely not a safe pick/bet to make it. I hope to see him get an offensive breakthrough in the SEL next season.

TinCanCommunications said:

Not seen Pettersson this season, but I have been hearing he has been offensively rather dominant with the Calgary Flames. I guess he could be putting up some serious numbers next year. Niklas Hjalmarsson was great before he got injured, which was like after 5 games... IMO a lock on next year's WJC team.

Richard_Zednik said:
You guys dont know Christopher Heino yet, but i have seen him and hes quick. Should play a good role in the NHL some day. Ive talked to him in person, real nice guy too

Heino is a very good prospect, but he is in a tough spot. The back-up on a good SEL team with a very capable starting goaltender that is not going anywhere. I hope the Habs sign him and let him play in the AHL.

Captain Conservative said:
Hey Predatore, could you tell me how washingtons swedish prospects are doing?

Defenseman Johnny Oduya is heading to the NHL. He has told Frölunda's management that he wants to play in the NA next season. Oduya has had a strong season and played convincingly in the SEL as well as on the national team. Should have a good shot at becoming a regular NHL defenseman IMO. If he cannot translate his offensive game on the other side of the pond, he should do just as fine as a stay-at-home defenseman.

nomoment said:
Predatore: What kind of NHL player does Carl Soderberg figure to be? A 2nd liner?

Second liner sounds about right. Some nights, however, you start to wonder if his ceiling could be greater than that even. Söderberg can be very dominant at times. Will be playing either SEL or AHL next season, I think. SEL if his team gets promoted from the second tier league, AHL if they fail.

HOCKEY_GURU said:
One player I thought i would see his name here is Oduya... perhaps someone who knows more about him can say where theyd put him on this list.

About No. 15 or so, I think.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Oduya seems like a 3rd pairing projection to me. Maybe better if his offense comes along. I was hoping to get some response from Predatore on one other Cap prospect and one former Caps son. What can you tell me about Oscar Hedman. Does he have the size and grit to play in the NHL at 6'0? Also, can you give me the skinny on Bengt Gustafsson's son. Bengt was one of the best stickhandlers I have ever seen and a great Cap!

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Backstrom questions

Can you tell me if he translates well to the NHL? The Caps will draft 3-5 and I know Caps scout Ross Mahoney was scouting Backstrom recently. Is he a great skater? Power player? How would he do on a line with Ovechkin and Zubrus? Thanks! Also, would he be difficult to sign? The Caps are looking for someone to compete in camp, imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->