Top 10 Russian hockey players all-time(link)

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
1. Viacheslav Fetisov - played from 1977 through 1998. He was the heart and soul of the great Soviet Union teams of the 1980s. He is a 6 time World Champion and 2 time Olympic champion. Fetisov was the driving force among players to gain freedom to play outside of Russia and specifically in the National Hockey League. As result he came to North America in 1989. Though his best days were behind him, he established himself as one of the steadiest defenders in the NHL for nearly a decade. He earned 2 Stanley Cups as a player. He is one of only two Russian players in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

2. Vladislav Tretiak - played from 1968 through 1984, all in Russia. The acrobatic goalie became a legend in both the Soviet Union and in Canada with his stunning "debut" in the 1972 Summit Series. He would go on to be Canada's number 1 nemesis over the years. Tretiak is a 10 time World Champion, 3 time Olympic champion and 1 time Canada Cup champion. He is the only modern-era non-NHL player in the Hockey Hall of Fame, and one of only two Russian players so honored.

3. Valery Kharlamov - played from 1967 through 1981. His career was cut short due a fatal car accident. Kharlamov dazzled audiences with is puck handling and skating skills. When he "debuted" before Canadian audiences in the 1972 Summit Series, he left fans with their jaws dropped. This 8 time World Champion and 2 time Olympic champion was described by one hockey expert as a combination of Mike Bossy and Pavel Bure.

4. Anatoly Firsov - played from 1958 through 1974. One of the Russians' earliest stars, he dominated with his puck skills as the Russians took over the international scene in the 1960s. An 8 time World Champion and three time Olympic champion, Firsov boycotted the 1972 Summit Series to show support for ousted national team coach Anatoli Tarasov. It has been said that Russians' loss of Firsov was the equivalent of Canada's inability to dress Bobby Hull.

5. Alexander Maltsev - Played from 1967 through 1983. An 8 time World Champion and 2 time Olympic champion and 1 time Canada Cup champion, Maltsev was the ultimate team player despite having individual skills that precious few others have ever possessed. A joy to watch.

6. Sergei Fedorov - played 1986 through present. Fedorov is the highest ranking "NHL Russian" - in other words he played the vast majority of his career in the NHL, not in international competition. This three time Stanley Cup champion became the first and only NHLer to be named as the league's MVP and best defensive player in the same year. In many ways he is a classic Russian centerman which prevents him from truly dominating the NHL offensively like he is capable of. Although highly respected, in many ways very underrated.

7. Valery Vasiliev - played 1967 through 1982. A 9 time World Champion and 2 time Olympic champion and 1 time Canada Cup champion, Vasiliev was the greatest defenseman in Russian hockey history prior to Fetisov. Very similar in style, perhaps Vasiliev would get the nod over Fetisov had Vasiliev had a broader North American audience like Fetisov benefited from.

8 Vsevolod Bobrov - Played from 1946 through 1957, later coached the Soviet national team including in the 1972 Summit Series. Bobrov, who was also a football (soccer) star, was the earliest Russian hockey hero. He more than any other player dominated the infancy years of Russian hockey. He is the original Russian Rocket as in his time he was compared to Canada's most prolific scorer - Rocket Richard. Bobrov was part of 2 World Championships and 1 Olympic gold.

9. Sergei Makarov - played from 1976 through 1998. Makarov was the explosive winger on the feared KLM Line with Igor Larionov and Vladimir Krutov with the Russian national teams throughout the 1980s. Makarov was part of 2 Olympic, 7 World and 1 Canada Cup championships. Makarov later joined the National Hockey League and subsequently was named as the NHL rookie of the year in 1990. He went on to score 134 goals and 384 points despite being in the twilight of his career.

10. Pavel Bure - played from 1986 to present. Nicknamed The Russian Rocket because of his incredible speed, Bure could be the most electrifying player of his era - regardless if he's Russian, Canadian or any other nationality. He has that rare ability to get people out of their seats simply by picking up the puck. When he's on his game he is an absolute joy to watch, but he is increasingly enigmatic. He is one of only 8 players in NHL history to score 60 or more goals twice.

http://www.1972summitseries.com/toptenrussians.html

Do you guys agree?

Reks

Oct 23, 2006
A good one. However mine would be:

1.Tretiak
2.Kharlamov
3.Fetisov
4.Firsov
5.Bobrov
6.Makarov
7.Maltsev
8.Vasiliev
9.Mikhailov
10.Krutov

Last edited:

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
A good one. However mine would be:

1.Tretiak
2.Kharlamov
3.Fetisov
4.Firsov
5.Bobrov
6.Makarov
7.Maltsev
8.Vasiliev
9.Mikhailov
10.Krutov

GREAT LIST.

I agree with you completely on 1-9, but I'm not crazy about Krutov at #10.

I'd probably go with either Bure, Fedorov or Larionov.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Here's my personal top 10:

1. Tretiak.....Top 5 goaltender of all time. Period.
2. Kharlamov....His skills were Light Years ahead of his time, by any standards.
3. Fetisov....Arguably the best D-Man of his time (post-Orr).
4. Firsov....A player with a physical style, who also had great skills. One of the hardest shooters in the history of hockey.
5. Makarov....A VERY underrated player. A lot of people forget that he played in the NHL also, and played VERY well. One of the best forwards of his time, and he played in the same time as Lemieux, Gretzky and Messier. He could very well be the most talented Russian player of all time (he was bigger then Kharlamov and faster then Firsov).
6. Vasiliev....Another VERY underrated player, who was also a great one. He was an EXCELLENT all-around D-man.
7. Bobrov....The first Russian superstar. Perhaps, he's too low on my list, as he was a great player in his own right. A 2-sport athlete who was also one of the best Russian soccer players of all time.
8. Maltsev....Another one who seems to be kinda low on this list. Throughout his career he's been overshadowed by other great Russian players, but he too had GREAT ability.
9. Mikhailov....He wasn't as flashy as some other Russian forwards, but he could very well be the most accomplished of them. All-time Soviet scoring leader, his physical style of play reminded many of NHL players more so then other Russian forwards of his time.
10. Larionov....This one accomplished almost everything there is to accomplish in hockey. World Championships: Check. Olympic Gold: Check. Long and productive NHL career: Check. Stanley Cups: Check.

#10 was a tough decision, as I think a case could be made for Fedorov, Bure and Krutov.

I hope someday Ovechkin, Malkin and other young Russians could be mentioned on this list.

Reactions: BMann

member 30781

I think Starshinov should have made the top ten easily. He was amazing.:handclap:

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Just before the Russia-Canada series started, my Dad and I sat at the kitchen table and talked about it. We both agreed the Russians had no goaltending (that was the published report, honest) and that the Canadian team would dominate with superior size and strength. I remember we both agreed Frank Mahovlich would be the best player because he had that size and booming shot.

I also remember in the middle of G1, my Dad saying something like "Mahovlich isn't even the best LWer" and we laughed. Kharlamov was tremendous, although we weren't laughing much by the time they hit Vancouver.

The other thing I remember is a MacLean's magazine cartoon. It was of Foster Hewitt announcing a CAN-RUS game and trying to pronounce Cournoyer's name. He said "And it's Courn..Corney....Cornwhy...anyway Tsygankov just scored."

Major kick in the junk for us Canadians. ;)

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Just before the Russia-Canada series started, my Dad and I sat at the kitchen table and talked about it. We both agreed the Russians had no goaltending (that was the published report, honest) and that the Canadian team would dominate with superior size and strength. I remember we both agreed Frank Mahovlich would be the best player because he had that size and booming shot.

I also remember in the middle of G1, my Dad saying something like "Mahovlich isn't even the best LWer" and we laughed. Kharlamov was tremendous, although we weren't laughing much by the time they hit Vancouver.

The other thing I remember is a MacLean's magazine cartoon. It was of Foster Hewitt announcing a CAN-RUS game and trying to pronounce Cournoyer's name. He said "And it's Courn..Corney....Cornwhy...anyway Tsygankov just scored."

Major kick in the junk for us Canadians. ;)

Yeap, Canadians sent 2 scouts to see Tretiak in action. They ended up seeing only one of his games, in which he gave up 8 goals. They came back saying that he was AWFUL.

The Russians failed to tell them, that a night prior to that game Tretiak was out drinking and partying after his wedding.

BTW, when we (Russians) are out drinking and partying, it takes us a week or so to get us back on our feet.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
BTW, Lowetide, I'm VERY envious of you. By seeing those Summit Series games, you might have witnessed some of the best hockey games in the history of the sport.

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Yeap, Canadians sent 2 scouts to see Tretiak in action. They ended up seeing only one of his games, in which he gave up 8 goals. They came back saying that he was AWFUL.

The Russians failed to tell them, that a night prior to that game Tretiak was out drinking and partying after his wedding.

BTW, when we (Russians) are out drinking and partying, it takes us a week or so to get us back on our feet.
I heard Tretiak say in an interview that he was getting married the next day and he was very nervous that's why he gave up 8 goals...Anyway, just a detail.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I heard Tretiak say in an interview that he was getting married the next day and he was very nervous that's why he gave up 8 goals...Anyway, just a detail.

This is the official story:

The scouts made a huge mistake by only watching the one game. As it turned out Tretiak had spent much of the previous night partying as he was getting married the following day. As a result he played horribly before Team Canada's watchful eyes in the stands.

http://www.1972summitseries.com/tretiak.html

playoffhero

Feb 21, 2007
Buffa-what
Dose Moginly work his way into any of these discussions? I didn't have the chance to see some of these other players play so I wouldn't know if he was one of the best ever or not.

dima1978

Feb 21, 2007
I think Larionov must be there. Plus, have to devide D and F. At least, make it TOP 25. Then add to D list Kasparaitis, Kostantinov. F list, add Bykov: a very good leader.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
kk i didnt watch hockey in the seventys but from like 1995 to now heres mine
ovechkin
datsyuk
malkin
mogilny
fedorov
bure
kovalchuk
nabakov
zubov
markov

someday semin will be there
sry for bad spelling if there is

member 30781

kk i didnt watch hockey in the seventys but from like 1995 to now heres mine
ovechkin
datsyuk
malkin
mogilny
fedorov
bure
kovalchuk
nabakov
zubov
markov

someday semin will be there
sry for bad spelling if there is

That is completely wrong. Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk, and Malkin should not even be on the list. It is more like this:

Bure
Fedorov
Larionov- still at the top of his game
Fetisov- same with Larionov
Mogilny
Konstantinov
Kozlov
Zubov
Gonchar
Yashin- yes Yashin, regardless of how he left to go to Russia.

KingsFan323

Apr 23, 2007
top 5 all time

1. Kharlamov- Most dominant offensive player in hockey, arguably. Looked like he was a man playing with boys. The Maradona of Hockey is the best desription.
2. Tretiak- Greatest goalie of all time.
3. Maltsev- Great hockey player. The definition of a talented playmaker. Put up big numbers and played on a dominant Soviet team.
4. Fetisov- Greatest Russian defenseman of all time. Though he's not the best ever, he stood out with his great defensive awareness and ability to stop the opposing teams best.
5. Mikhailov- Great hockey player who lead the CCCP to many championships. Underrated because his style wasn't flashy but he played great hockey and scored many goals.

Top 5 in the NHL era (1990 to present)

1. Pavel Bure- He was just too talented. If he didn't have to retire so early and hadn't had so many injuries he will most likely end up #2 in the goal scoring list for sure. Bure was the most dangerous hockey player in his prime.
2. Sergei Fedorov- My favorite growing up, he was on another level when he was with Detroit. Dominant stats and very talented both offensively and defensively.
3. Alexander Ovechkin- He will break records and the sky is the limit for this guy. Imagine what he will be 5 years from now, he's only 23. Ten years from now he could be #1 on this list and top 5 in the all time list.
4. Igor Larionov- Was a great playmaker throughout his career and was one of the best ever in his prime. Understood the game like no other on the ice.
5a. Alexander Mogilny- Well I had to put two #5s because I dont know which one to put. Mogilny was great before he started getting injuries and was always a threat on the ice. Scored many points, would have been one of the best ever if hadnt had so many injuries.
5b. Alexei Kovalev- Well he's still putting up great numbers, a top 5 RW in the league though he is 35. Talented and knows how to make noise when he's on the ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chr1s97

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
1. Kharlamov- Most dominant offensive player in hockey, arguably. Looked like he was a man playing with boys. The Maradona of Hockey is the best desription.
2. Tretiak- Greatest goalie of all time.
3. Maltsev- Great hockey player. The definition of a talented playmaker. Put up big numbers and played on a dominant Soviet team.
4. Fetisov- Greatest Russian defenseman of all time. Though he's not the best ever, he stood out with his great defensive awareness and ability to stop the opposing teams best.
5. Mikhailov- Great hockey player who lead the CCCP to many championships. Underrated because his style wasn't flashy but he played great hockey and scored many goals.

I agree with this list. Kharlamov is the one and only. Magnificient player.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
That is completely wrong. Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk, and Malkin should not even be on the list. It is more like this:

Bure
Fedorov
Larionov- still at the top of his game
Fetisov- same with Larionov
Mogilny
Konstantinov
Kozlov
Zubov
Gonchar
Yashin- yes Yashin, regardless of how he left to go to Russia.

vfgk

Last edited:

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I can't believe you guys resurrected this thread. I made this thread as my first post.

Anyway, all of this is very subjective.

I still stand by my list.

member 30781

ok first of all gonchar cant play defense for **** and why cant ovechkin kovalchuk datsyuk and malkin be in the list clearly there ovechkin won the scoring title and got the most goals last season malkin was second in the scoring title datsyuk was forth and he won the award for sportsmanship and defensive forward and kovalchuk was second in goals on a **** **** **** team

He has only been in the league for 3 years. Even though he has had one of the biggest impacts in the NHL, we need to give him more time before he is considered with the elite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad