Top 10 Playoff Goalies of all Time #7 (Post-Expansion)

Who is the 7th bestplayoff goalie of all time? (Post-Expansion)

• John Vanbeisbrouck

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Curtis Joseph

• Olaf Kolzig

• Ron Hextall

• Tony Esposito

• Mike Vernon

• Patrick Lalime

• Mike Liut

• Felix Potvin

• Nikolai Khabibulin

• Ryan Miller

• Total voters

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
OK, I don't want to be "that guy" but...

Tim Thomas
Playoff seasons where he started at least one game: 4
Playoff seasons where he made it past the 2nd round: 1
W/L Record: 29-21
Stanley Cups: 1
Conn Smythe: 1

The thread is not who had the best one-year run (where Thomas' 2011 could be top-10) but who was the best playoff goalie post-expansion.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Yeah his resume up to the 75 cup was absolutely phenomenal that's for sure. His 74 smythe in particular when he took down Boston is probably tier 2 as far as all time goaltending performances are concerned.

I took a quick look at the 2010s for goalies that played at least 40+ games and Lundqvist had a .926 in 100 games, tied for 2nd only to Craig Anderson's .929 in 46. I'd say it's comparable to Parent's run due to the volume of games it spanned over. Lundqvist may not have peaked as high as Parent in the playoffs but he was more consistent and has a much bigger body of work. I get part of that was out of Parent's control but it's hard to ignore just how consistent Lundqvist was.
Agreed. I'm really impressed by Lundqvist's consistency year after year. I think he gets underrated as playoff performer because he never won a Cup - but he was excellent in the postseason, and had dismal goal support throughout most of his career.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I know the original poster is getting hammered by the 'what about' crowd, but....

Hellebuyck will have 4 nominations and 2 vezina wins after this season.

Only 5 goalies have done this since the vezina winner was changed to voting (in 1981). Belfour, Roy, Brodeur, Hasek, Hellebuyck.

How many Stanley Cups and Conn Smythes does he have? Same amount at Lundqvist.
you fail to mention how many more top 6 Vezina finishes Lundqvist has:

Hank: 1,2,3,3,3,4,5,6,6,6
Helle: 1,(1),2,3,4

and from 2011-14 Hank had a .930 SV% over 76GP in the playoffs.... which is absolutely insane!

Hellebuyck has 40 career playoff games with a .916 SV%

even if Hellebuyck stays consistent for 5 more years and gets several top 6 Vezina, hes gotta prove more in the playoffs to compare to Hank.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think the 2010s might be my favorite period for goaltending in the playoffs. Sure wish my team's goalies had chosen to partake.

I think Lundqvist played in the playoffs so often so for long that people tend to forget that many of those Rangers teams were fairly mediocre.
He is a very good option but my gut leans towards Parent and then Base..the guy from TB but went with Bernie.

All that being said I feel much more confident ranking position players than goalies.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Thomas had an incredible peak but I value sustained success more in the goalie position. Also not voting for any active goalies.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Thomas only has 51GP..... even with the amazing 2011 run, I cant put him ahead of: Vasi, Quick, Lundqvist.... maybe even Rask, Price, Holtby

I mean Lundqvist has played in 79 MORE games.... I dont see any argument other than the one Conn SMythe

Last edited:

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Thomas only has 51GP..... even with the amazing 2011 run, I cant put him ahead of: Vasi, Quick, Lundqvist.... maybe even Rask, Price, Holtby

I mean Lundqvist has played in 120 MORE games.... I dont see any argument other than the one Conn SMythe

You make a good point. And It's almost enough to convince me. But Thomas in 2011 was the best goaltending performance I've ever seen. The numbers look crazy, and he looked better on the ice than the numbers.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
You make a good point. And It's almost enough to convince me. But Thomas in 2011 was the best goaltending performance I've ever seen. The numbers look crazy, and he looked better on the ice than the numbers.
The best single season performances i have witnessed were from guys who ultimately lost - halak and giguere.

The Bruins havent missed a beat replacing Thomas, literally every goalie that plays for them has “near league best” stats. Tbis strongly devalues Thomas’ performance in my eyes; something about their system measn every goalie looks awesome there.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Barrasso vs. Lundqvist (playoffs):

Lundqvist 61-67 2.30/.922 0 Cups
Barrasso 61-54 3.01/.902 2 Cups

I don't have the capability to era-adjust the GAA/Save Percentage numbers, but these guys seem pretty close. It's hard to see how Lundqvist (and Thomas) are so far ahead of Barrasso this round.

My Best-Carey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad