Top 10 players in the NHL

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
The NHL channel has this as their top 10.

1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Karlsson
4. Kane
5. Malkin
6. Burns
7. Price
8. Matthews
9. Kucherov
10. Holtby

It’s my opinion that goalies should never be compared to forwards & defensemen. So sticking with skaters I have:

1. Crosby
2. McDavid
3. Kane
4. Tavares
5. Malkin
6. Karlsson
7. Tarasenko
8. Backstrom
9. Marchand
10. Seguin

Reactions: KirkOut

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
The NHL channel has this as their top 10.

1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Karlsson
4. Kane
5. Malkin
6. Burns
7. Price
8. Matthews
9. Kucherov
10. Holtby

It’s my opinion that goalies should never be compared to forwards & defensemen. So sticking with skaters I have:

1. Crosby
2. McDavid
3. Kane
4. Tavares
5. Malkin
6. Karlsson
7. Tarasenko
8. Backstrom
9. Marchand
10. Seguin

I'd swap out Taveres and Benn for Kucherov and Holtby and then switch Burns for Hedman but that is otherwise probably my list

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Yea screw the 40 goal, 85 point guy who is also one of the best defensive forwards around.

Prior to this past year, his career high was 61 points. Maybe he took another step and became elite, but at 29 that's rare. Its possible it was just an anomaly. Yet he is getting rated higher than Benn as an example, who had a down year at 69 points, but had seasons of 89, 87, and 79 the three prior years. Being a year younger, Benn has 517 career points to Marchand's 374. He must play a hell of a defensive game to have that catapult him past Benn given their relative stats. I didn't watch a ton of Bruins this past year, but I think he is ok defensively and looks good because he plays with Bergeron. But maybe I am wrong there. More likely, the rankers suffer from recency bias and are awed by his great past season than by his superb defense.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Prior to this past year, his career high was 61 points. Maybe he took another step and became elite, but at 29 that's rare. Its possible it was just an anomaly. Yet he is getting rated higher than Benn as an example, who had a down year at 69 points, but had seasons of 89, 87, and 79 the three prior years. Being a year younger, Benn has 517 career points to Marchand's 374. He must play a hell of a defensive game to have that catapult him past Benn given their relative stats. I didn't watch a ton of Bruins this past year, but I think he is ok defensively and looks good because he plays with Bergeron. But maybe I am wrong there. More likely, the rankers suffer from recency bias and are awed by his great past season than by his superb defense.
I myself never said Marchand > Benn or anything. But over the last two seasons he has 76 goals and 146 points and a P/GP of 0.93. That's pretty unreal. He's a very good defensive forward, him and Bergeron are both ridiculous.

But it's not as uncommon for a player to break out at an older age. In recent times, you have Wheeler, Pavelski, Burns, and now Marchand.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Marchand has become as gifted offensively as Benn. I'd rank Marchand > Benn because he's harder to play against. People throw around the word puck hound to describe tenacity with players. Marchand is puck rottweiler. I don't think there's a harder player to play against in the NHL than Marchand that doesn't have the puck. He reminds me a lot of Gilmour actually especially the dirtiness aspect.

It's all subjective when you're doing a ranking. The NHL channel goofed putting McDavid over Crosby imo.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Tarasenko was the only Blues player in the top 50. I thought at least Pietrangelo would be on there.

Yep... The list is horribly skewed towards last years performance overall and somehow the guy playing 25 Min+ a night with 48 points doesn't make the top 50. But Byfuglien, Werenski, any forward under 25 that has scored 60 points...these guys are clearly top 50 material

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I would post my top 10, but I would have to include P. Kane and I couldn't bring myself to type that.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
McDavid
Crosby
Doughty
Malkin
Kane
Backstrom
Kucherov
Tarasenko
Marchand
Tavares