Top 10 Player-Seasons since the Lockout?

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
1. Malkin 2012
2. Price 2015
3. Ovechkin 2008
4. Thornton 05/06
5. Kane (15/16)

Number one should be the lost season for Sidney Crosby in 2010/2011. He would have set modern day records that year if Dave Steckel decided not to bind side him

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
If you also include international performance, Toews 09/10 season rivals that of Malkin 11/12.

Toews' RS and playoffs were not close to Malkin's and his OG while impressive, wasn't an historic type of performance.

Crosby last year would be a better choice using this criteria.

NewUser293223

Registered Abuser
Oct 21, 2017
Ivory tower
I'm probably gonna catch some flak for this, but I always found what Sid and Ovie were doing in 05/06 more interesting, entertaining and even somewhat greater than the whole Jagr/Thornton thing. Jagr was having his comeback year, which was a nice throwback to late nineties, Thornton turned scary white right after joining the Sharks, but the race that kept me on my toes was Sid/Alex.

First reason being, 5 games before the end of the reg season, Jagr looked a surely winner of the scoring race. He hit a cold streak and ended up losing at least 2 trophies in the last couple of games. It can't be that great if it ends like this, right? Thornton was more like it, but in the end, he just managed to beat out a slumping thirty-four-year old. And it had a two-on-one feel to it.

On the other hand, Ovi and Sid went toe-to-toe that whole year. Crosby was accused of being a spoiled whining brat by Alfie and Forsberg, and I think Ovi was ahead in everyone's book after that crazy goal, but Sid managed to pick it up. He was learning and learning fast, and in the end, he almost won me over. Not only they were trading them for the Calder. It was an obvious beginning of new era and new rivalry. They at least deserve an HM for playing so well during the rookie year. You might even argue it was the only time they both were on top of their game at once.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I'm probably gonna catch some flak for this...

Nope, no flak from me on that call. Such a subject somewhat subjective & thats cool too, whatever turns your crank and ya, those two personalities, players, nothing vanilla about that rivalry so it had that extra dimension to it that was entertaining. Its just too bad McPhee in all his years down there in Washington wasnt able to build a more serious challenger, found some serious talent to compliment Ovi.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Allow me to ahead and disagree with every word of your post.

Toews was 35th in scoring vs. Malkin's Art Ross, 36 playoff points > 29 points. Toews played with Kane and was not playing his team's shutdown role. Not sure what is so disagreeable about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad