Top 10 NHL Rookies...

Randall Graves*

I would say:

Tier I:
Malkin

Tier II:
Stastny (Wow, didn't know he had 65 points. Impressive. He's also a +6, while Malkin and Kopitar are both in the minus. He's very close to being a Tier I right now.)
Kopitar
Staal (It's hard putting Staal here as he only has 36 points, but his defense and shorthanded play is staggering. +15 tops all rookies. I'd say he's riding the cusp of Tier II and Tier III)

Tier III:
Vlasic (If he starts putting up more points I'd put him in Tier II, averaging nearly 22 minutes a game at 19 years old, and is a plus 5 on the Sharks, who barely ever score 5 on 5, is saying something)
Clowe (Yes, Clowe. Having done the math, had Clowe played the entire season he would have around 50 points while averaging less minutes on ice than Staal, Wolski, Malkin, Stastny, Pavelski and Zajac. Only Radulov plays less. If he played around 17 mins a game there's no telling what he could produce. Scary, I know, considering every Hockey video game has him rated as a 60 something. He'd also have around 93 PIM's)
Wolski

Tier IV:
Pavelski (Doing the math, he would have around 44 points in 68 games had he played them all. Plays pretty much the same amount of minutes Zajac does)
Radulov (Averaging about the same amount of PPG as Penner while playing less minutes and having a much better +/- at +11, second best among rookies)
Carle

It may come off as homerish what with 4 Sharks on there (though they're all in the lower Tiers), but looking at the stats and from what I've seen from watching, this is what I come up with.
Let's see, 2 or 3 weeks into the season Sharks fans were projecting Matt Carle scoring 70 points and winning the Calder, the paces don't mean a whole lot playing half the season, how many points did Clowe get as a result of playing with Thornton?

Pure Rock Fury*

how many points did Clowe get as a result of playing with Thornton?

He got all his points by going to the net and getting his hands dirty. Last time I checked, all points count the same regardless of who you're on the ice with.

Randall Graves*

He got all his points by going to the net and getting his hands dirty. Last time I checked, all points count the same regardless of who you're on the ice with.
Ok so his point totals aren't inflated at all because of Thornton.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
When you're talking about this season only, I think Marc-Eduoard Vlasic is easily the best rookie so far. Kopitar got hurt, Malkin's been in a slide, and other than Vlasic, nobody has been consistently good at what they do for the whole year. Naturally, he won't win anything because being a defensive defenseman doesn't show up in the stats and being quality rookie forwards putting up a good amount of points for a season will cast doubt on Vlasic's play among the whole of who talks about this stuff.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
When you're talking about this season only, I think Marc-Eduoard Vlasic is easily the best rookie so far. Kopitar got hurt, Malkin's been in a slide, and other than Vlasic, nobody has been consistently good at what they do for the whole year. Naturally, he won't win anything because being a defensive defenseman doesn't show up in the stats and being quality rookie forwards putting up a good amount of points for a season will cast doubt on Vlasic's play among the whole of who talks about this stuff.

I didn't take too much time to place 3rd in the original list for a reason and others as well.:) (post #16) Not that anyone is not deserving.
Quiet surprised by his success this early on.

Randall Graves*

Easily? ridiculous assertion there IMO.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004

Its impressive what Vlasic has done this year but to say hes easily the best rookie out there is a little homerish. Kopitars been hurt for 3 games. It appears Malkin is coming out of a 5 game slide , Stastny is on an absolute tear and has been for over a month. Defensemen rarely win the Calder and stay at home dmen well theres only one that I can recall and thats Barret Jackman. While that rookie class was good this one by far blows that one out of the water.

Sinistrophobia

Dec 3, 2006
Ok so his point totals aren't inflated at all because of Thornton.

Inflated? What are you talking about?

Clowe played his way up to the top line. He earned his points and having Thornton on his line doesn't suddenly make him someone just along for the ride.

He is still producing at a steady pace while playing on the 4th line. I'd say that says a little something about his skill level. IMO, he protects the puck along the boards better than Thornton and plays an extremely physical game. He has a great set of hands for someone of his style and uses them efficiently and creatively.

He may not have put up those points playing on the 3rd line all year, but the fact that he EARNED his spot that positioned him to put up the points that he got should easily bump him into the top 10.

torrencemd

Jun 27, 2006
Malkin and Statsny is too close to call. Its who will end up with more points... Plus the fact that the pens will more than likely make the playoffs and the Avs wont may play a part.... Just look at last yr, Crosby had what like 2 less points that AO? And AO wins it...IMO whoever wins the points race is pretty much assured the Calder.

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach
Kopitar is a minus because he's on the 2nd-worst team in the league. Only 3 players on the Kings are on the plus side. No offense, but if you weren't aware of Stastny's points and you're focusing on plus/minus so much, I'd suggest that you're not familiar enough with the prospects (outside of their stats) to rank them appropriately. Stastny is playing great, but there's no way that I'd put him in the same tier as Malkin.

I would. In fact, I think tiers one and two could easily be combined. Malkin, Stastny, and Kopitar have similar point totals, Staal would have a lot more points given the ice time the other three are receiving, and are all defensively responsible.

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
When second becomes first, feel free to gloat. 'Til then, recognize a record and a league-leading stat.

Please recognize the record and a league leading stat... Paul just passed Teemu Selanne as new point streak by rookie in NHL.
18 games. :handclap:

jtechkidbruin

Nov 8, 2006
phil kessel

is not among the list but i think he has huge upside. He is probably right now one of the fastest,pure skaters in the league. He needs to get stronger but he started out slowly because bruins wanted him to concerntrate on the defensive side. He then as everybody knows had cancer. He has come back really strong and is playing on the first line and is like plus 7-8 in his 10 games and looks real good. He has a ton of shots on net but has been snake biten during the year as his total goals should be around 20. oh yea, in shootouts as a rookie he is our last shooter and has single-handed closed out three shootouts -not bad for a rookie. Lewis who was in detroit for 20 years says his skating reminds him of young federov. he's will explode next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad