Top 10 NHL Rookies...

Randall Graves*

That's not quite true.

I did an anlysis of Staal's goals. While it's true that Malkin has the most assists (11), that's still less than half of Staal's 26 goals. The part that isn't true is about Crosby who has only assisted on 3 of Staal's goals. With very few exceptions, the only time Crosby and Staal are on the ice together is during PP's and I've already established that Staal doesn't log a ton of PP time.

Here's the breakdown in descending order:

Malkin 11
Ouellet 8
Recchi 4
Crosby 3
Ekman 2
Gonchar 2
Whitney 2
Christensen 2
Malone 1
Moore 1
Nasreddine 1
Melichar 1
Scuderi 1

In addition, 4 of Staal's goals are unassisted.
11 of his last 15 goals have been assisted by Crosby, Malkin, or both.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
this from not looking at any of the other rankings.

1. evgeni malkin
2. anze kopitar
3. paul stastny
4. jordan staal
5. wojtek wolski
6. joe pavelski
7. travis zajac
8. marc-edouard vlasic
9. matt carle
10. alexander radulov

hm: ladislav smid, mike smith, ryan clowe, phil kessel, guilliame latendresse, mark giordano, alexandre picard, and off course ole kristian tollefsen and patrick thoresen. lol.

i forgot penner. make him #11.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
1- Evgeni Malkin
2- Anze Kopitar
3- Jordan Staal
4- Paul Stastny
5- Wojtek Wolski
6-Travis Zajac
7-Dustin Penner
8- Joe Pavelski
9- ME Vlasic
10-Matt Carle

HM- Halak (once he leads the Habs to the playoffs ;) )

phtrem

Aug 16, 2002
Everywhere you aren't!
Visit site
So far, with 23 voters, here the stats (first place = 10 pts, 2nd place= 9 points...)

Player #votes points
1 Malkin 23 228
2 Kopitar 23 199
3 Stastny 23 178
4 Staal 23 165
5 Wolski 23 122
6 Vlasic 19 103
7 Penner 20 87
8 Zajac 22 60
9 Carle 20 48
10 Radulov 19 42
11 Pavelski 8 20
12 Clowe 5 8
13 Smid 1 3
14 White 1 2

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I guess I'm the only one who's more impressed with Staal and Kopitar's overall play this year ahead of Malkin?

No. Longer term Kopitar and Staal will be better than Malkin + Stastny. Staal appears to have the best all-round game and Kopitar has the size and skills to be unstoppable. The other two may consistently put up (slightly) higher points, but that's not best way to judge a player's worth. I'm Oilers fan BTW.

Right now, Malkin wins ROY.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
No. Longer term Kopitar and Staal will be better than Malkin + Stastny. Staal appears to have the best all-round game and Kopitar has the size and skills to be unstoppable. The other two may consistently put up (slightly) higher points, but that's not best way to judge a player's worth. I'm Oilers fan BTW.

You seem to be vastly underestimating Malkin's overall game. Right now it's not up to the level that we expected from his play in Russia and in various tournaments, primarily because he's played a lot of wing and he needs to gain weight, but he has a big frame and has a lot of defensive ability to go with his amazing slap shot and passing efficiency. Long term I see no reason Malkin won't be the best of the bunch.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
So far, with 23 voters, here the stats (first place = 10 pts, 2nd place= 9 points...)

Player #votes points
1 Malkin 23 228
2 Kopitar 23 199
3 Stastny 23 178
4 Staal 23 165
5 Wolski 23 122
6 Vlasic 19 103
7 Penner 20 87
8 Zajac 22 60
9 Carle 20 48
10 Radulov 19 42
11 Pavelski 8 20
12 Clowe 5 8
13 Smid 1 3
14 White 1 2

To me this looks close enough to be right. Ahh, the wisdom of crowds.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site

Kings fan here. There is a chance that Kopitar may eventually become a better overall player than Malkin, but it's not likely. It is somewhat a shame that Malkin has Crosby on his team because I am convinced that even if Malkin was on say Philadelphia this season, he'd probably still be outscoring both Kopitar and Stastny. It only takes a handful of games in which you watch what Malkin is capable of doing along the boards, on rushes, without the puck, etc to appreciate how special a talent he is.

I expect the Calder race to be Malkin, Kopitar, Stastny, then Staal, and I expect that order to be maintained for the next several years.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Staal just scored his NHL rookie record 7th shorthanded goal, his 27th of the season. Anyone who thinks he's on a third tier of rookies this year doesn't watch him very often.

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
Staal just scored his NHL rookie record 7th shorthanded goal, his 27th of the season. Anyone who thinks he's on a third tier of rookies this year doesn't watch him very often.

And Stastny is on SIXTEEN (16) games point streak. The longest in the NHL this season, second only to Teemu Selanne for rookie point streak.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And Stastny is on SIXTEEN (16) games point streak. The longest in the NHL this season, second only to Teemu Selanne for rookie point streak.

When second becomes first, feel free to gloat. 'Til then, recognize a record and a league-leading stat.

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
When second becomes first, feel free to gloat. 'Til then, recognize a record and a league-leading stat.

I did say it was a SEASON record this year, FROM THE WHOLE NHL.

Great for Staal to get the record. Hopedfully Penguins will stay in Pittsburgh next year. After all, the same fans who suffered trough 5+ years of drought should get something, right? :sarcasm:

Roman Tanner

Aug 5, 2005
Mgmt. Excuseville

I recognize that......but.......single digit assists....Quite the playmaker there.

I watch the Pens a lot. I think he's a fantastic young player with tremendous upside. He'll probably be better then Stastny and Kopitar when it's all said and done. But the Calder isn't given out on potential.

It's given out on 1st year performance.

And I'm more impressed with what Kopitar and Stastny have shown.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I recognize that......but.......single digit assists....Quite the playmaker there.

I watch the Pens a lot. I think he's a fantastic young player with tremendous upside. He'll probably be better then Stastny and Kopitar when it's all said and done. But the Calder isn't given out on potential.

That's the only thing he isn't already stellar at, and the only area in which Staal does not have an advantage over Stastny. It has nothing at all to do with potential; Staal is an impact player right now.

Regardless, neither deserves to be relegated to a third tier of rookie rankings. It is rather curious though that Stastny becomes the overwhelming favorite for the Calder runner-up right after he takes over the 2nd spot in rookie scoring. Nothing against Paul or his game, but there seem to be alot of stathounds out there.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

I agree with this. And usually it is a pure points thing whenn not going to a goalie or defenseman. Staal does not really take a backseat to anyone other than Malkin in talent or play THIS year. There is a whole group of about equal players that few could have a problem with your making number two.

Long term though there are not any players I would take out of that rookie group but Malkin and Staal. Malkin because of the world class skills, Staal because he is only 18 damn years old (and a young 18) and the sky is the limit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad