Top 10 NHL Rookies...

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
Any list without Kopitar second needs deserves a healthy amount of critisism. Kopitar has carried the worst, least talented team all year while being the best all around rookie. Malkin has got him beat offensively but Kopitar is counted on in every situation. Statstny has gotten the benefit of quality line mates and superior supporting cast.

Roman Tanner

Aug 5, 2005
Mgmt. Excuseville
Any list without Kopitar second needs deserves a healthy amount of critisism. Kopitar has carried the worst, least talented team all year while being the best all around rookie. Malkin has got him beat offensively but Kopitar is counted on in every situation. Statstny has gotten the benefit of quality line mates and superior supporting cast.

Spoken like someone who doesn't watch Paul Stastny play.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
1. Evgeni Malkin (C-PIT)
2. Paul Stastny (C-COL)
3. Anze Kopitar (C-LAK)
4. Wojtek Wolski (LW-COL)
5. Jordan Staal (C-PIT)
6. Matt Carle (D-SJS)
7. Dustin Penner (C-ANA)
8. Travis Zajac (C-NJD)
9. Ryane Clowe (RW-SJS)
10. Alexander Radulov (RW-NSH)

Nice list, though i'd switch Wolski and Staal. But this comes closest to what I had in mind.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Evgeni Malkin
Jordan Staal
Paul Stastny
Anze Kopitar
Wojtek Wolski
ME Vlasic
Dustin Penner
Travis Zajac
Alex Radulov
Ryan Clowe

This is how i think the list should look like if voters werent going to vote solely on offensive production........however being that thats exactly what they will do Staal will fall to 4th and Kopitar and Statsny will more then likley move up past him.

Dextrous*

Evgeni Malkin
Jordan Staal
Paul Stastny
Anze Kopitar
Wojtek Wolski
ME Vlasic
Dustin Penner
Travis Zajac
Alex Radulov
Ryan Clowe

This is how i think the list should look like if voters werent going to vote solely on offensive production........however being that thats exactly what they will do Staal will fall to 4th and Kopitar and Statsny will more then likley move up past him.

Agreed Staal brings more intangibles than anyone except Malkin. To be honest of late i am starting to think Staal will be more important than Malkin to a pens Cup winning team. PK PP defense Staal brings it all at an elite level. 6 shorties as a rookie... when did that last happen?

Dextrous*

Whoops i meant except Kopitar for the intangibles** I cant edit.

#1rezniy

Nov 3, 2006
Agreed Staal brings more intangibles than anyone except Malkin. To be honest of late i am starting to think Staal will be more important than Malkin to a pens Cup winning team. PK PP defense Staal brings it all at an elite level. 6 shorties as a rookie... when did that last happen?
I got a feelin Malkin will be the one dealt when the time comes.

albathegreat*

Malkin
Kopitar
Stastny
Staal
Wolski

I cant decide on the rest, I wont past judgment on players Ive seen only a few times.

Igor55

Nov 11, 2005
Shea Weber isnt considered a rookie this year? Dont see him on any lists, I guess not....

turnbuckle*

Rank your Top 10 rookies...those in the race for the Calder Trophy this season.

Here's mine:

Malkin
Stastny
Kopitar
Penner
Staal
Vlasic
Wolski
Radulov
Zajac
Carle

With names like Zajac, Wolski, Vlasic, Stastny, etc., one would assume the majority of those players were European, when in fact only three are European raised. A couple first and second generation North Americans mind you.

Randall Graves*

1.Malkin

2.Kopitar
3.Stastny

4.Staal
5.Wolski
6.Vlasic

7.Penner
8.Carle
9.Zajac
10.Clowe
Why is Penner in the 4th tier? 30 goals won't be enough to even get him in the third? Heck he'd have 30 goals right now had he been playing with Getzlaf most of the season.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Says the Penguins fan. Staal is great but he is not better than Kopitar. His defensive play is but not his overall offensive game. Kopitar is also good defensively but he is not as good as Staal.

Not sure the need to say says the Pens fan but in any case I agree.......Staal is far better defensively.....and I would say is on par if not even a bit above in Goal scoring........but he is quite a ways behind in the playmaking and passing categories for now.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
As of right now Zajac's worth isn't measured in points, Parise and Langenbrunner take care of that. Zajac is probably the 3rd best forward defensivly on that list behind Stastny and Staal.

Randall Graves*

Not sure the need to say says the Pens fan but in any case I agree.......Staal is far better defensively.....and I would say is on par if not even a bit above in Goal scoring........but he is quite a ways behind in the playmaking and passing categories for now.
Kopitar is better than Staal, l how anyone can say Staal is having a better year when Kopitar has 20 more points than he does and DOES NOT have the benefit of having superstars to play with, the Kings only have two other guys who you could even consider good offensive players up front.

I hate the Kings but it seems to me like not enough people have watched him play more than a couple games. Staal is a good goal scorer who is good defensively, Kopitar can score goals, make tons of plays with the puck, and is atleast average defensively.

If Kopitar had an Ovechkin, or Malkin, Or Crosby he would probably be a PPG player.

Sinistrophobia

Dec 3, 2006
1. Evgeni Malkin (C-PIT)
2. Paul Stastny (C-COL)
3. Anze Kopitar (C-LAK)
4. Wojtek Wolski (LW-COL)
5. Jordan Staal (C-PIT)
6. Matt Carle (D-SJS)
7. Dustin Penner (C-ANA)
8. Travis Zajac (C-NJD)
9. Ryane Clowe (RW-SJS)
10. Alexander Radulov (RW-NSH)
:biglaugh: :biglaugh:
1. Evgeni Malkin
2. Paul Stastny
3. Anze Kopitar
4. Dustin Penner
5. Wojtek Wolski
6. Jordan Staal
7. Matthew Carle
8. Joe Pavelski
9. Ryane Clowe
10. Travis Zajac
:dunno: I don't know what to make of this.
Nice list, though i'd switch Wolski and Staal. But this comes closest to what I had in mind.
:biglaugh: You think of Carle(one of the most overrated young defensemen in the league) and Vlasic is...MIA.
Evgeni Malkin
Jordan Staal
Paul Stastny
Anze Kopitar
Wojtek Wolski
ME Vlasic
Dustin Penner
Travis Zajac
Alex Radulov
Ryan Clowe

:thumbu: :clap:

I really agree with Clowe on the list..not solely for his offensive production(inflated, BTW), but the fact that he is one of the few Sharks that use their size to their advantage. It makes him a prime cantidate for any spot on a team. He can be a tough, gritty top 6 winger with decent skills and hands or he can be a great bottom 6 winger that can fight well and play a great cycling game down low in the opponents zone, something the Sharks can lack at times. He's really a great fit anywhere.

I'm not a big fan of having Pavelski here. He has good offensive skills, but when he's forced to play a game with less of an offensive impact(a role he very well could be forced into soon with the Sharks), he lacks the defensive ability to be successful as a third line center. He's still a good player, though.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Staal is not second this year, I would put him third behind Kopitar. Long term is different than this year and though what Staal is doing is amazing part of what is amazing is that he is doing it at eighteen and one of the youngest players ever to lace them up in the NHL. Long term I do not think that Staal takes a back seat to Kopitar but that depends on his taking anticipated spurts in growth, both physically and in his hockey skills. Similar to what Crosby did as far as growing between 18 and 19. For this year Kopitar is ahead.

For those putting Kopitar ahead of Malkin. :biglaugh:

Malkin is currently 15th in the entire NHL in scoring. That is not the be all and end all, but Malkin albeit with lapses the irk me at times, shows that he is the complete package night in and night out. Kopitar has not even cracked the top 50 in scoring.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/byposition?pos=C,RW,LW

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Staal is not second this year, I would put him third behind Kopitar. Long term is different than this year and though what Staal is doing is amazing part of what is amazing is that he is doing it at eighteen and one of the youngest players ever to lace them up in the NHL. Long term I do not think that Staal takes a back seat to Kopitar but that depends on his taking anticipated spurts in growth, both physically and in his hockey skills. Similar to what Crosby did as far as growing between 18 and 19. For this year Kopitar is ahead.

For those putting Kopitar ahead of Malkin. :biglaugh:

Malkin is currently 15th in the entire NHL in scoring. That is not the be all and end all, but Malkin albeit with lapses the irk me at times, shows that he is the complete package night in and night out. Kopitar has not even cracked the top 50 in scoring.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/byposition?pos=C,RW,LW
I think its laughable to put Staal ahead of Stastny, and I think Jordan is the best defensive rookie in the NHL this season.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Kopitar is better than Staal, l how anyone can say Staal is having a better year when Kopitar has 20 more points than he does and DOES NOT have the benefit of having superstars to play with, the Kings only have two other guys who you could even consider good offensive players up front.

I hate the Kings but it seems to me like not enough people have watched him play more than a couple games. Staal is a good goal scorer who is good defensively, Kopitar can score goals, make tons of plays with the puck, and is atleast average defensively.

If Kopitar had an Ovechkin, or Malkin, Or Crosby he would probably be a PPG player.

If Staal had Cammalleri and Frolov as linemates, he'd have a lot more assists. I hope you aren't under the mistaken impression that Staal has played all year with Malkin or Crosby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad