Top 10 in scoring now and at the end of the season

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
I am honestly struggling to understand what your point here is?

He has more goals this year thus far, that doesn't erase every year of his career since his 16 year old junior season.

This shooting goal/assist ratio isn't concrete, it's going to change throughout the year.

It isn't concerning he only has 7 assists this season. He has 12 goals...

My point is, it's not a given that if his goal scoring "regresses" to his historical median that his assists will go up in turn. I'm wondering where he usually sits for assists after ~15-20 games.

Just because a guy puts up way more assists than goals doesn't mean he isn't a goal scorer (Gaudreau). It's not one or the other.

Well that's just like, your opinion man. IMO (as I noted above), "goal scorers" are guys who primarily score goals. Seems pretty simple to me.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So I guess in light of that, is it concerning that he only has 7 assists on the season? He might just be finding his scoring touch, but if his shooting percentage does level out to a historical median, would he start passing more?

Like I said, he's shooting more this year. On pace for 240 shots, which is about 90 more than usual for him. He's always had a relatively high shooting % (obviously not the 25% high that he's currently shooting at). Over the last 5 seasons (this one included) he has the 3rd highest sh% among forwards, but shots per game are down around 130th. This year, he's at 41st in terms of shots per game. If the trend continues, he should break 30 goals even if/when his sh% regresses to career norms.

Wrt his assists totals, I think they're a touch lower than his level of play would merit, but not much. He's pacing around the same as last year, which was a bit of a down year for him (likely due to some injuries imo). I expect him to finish with around 35-40 assists.

If there's anything that's concerning, imo, it's been the complete lack of PP production, but he's still creating chances, so I'm sure it will come.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
My point is, it's not a given that if his goal scoring "regresses" to his historical median that his assists will go up in turn. I'm wondering where he usually sits for assists after ~15-20 games.

Well that's just like, your opinion man. IMO (as I noted above), "goal scorers" are guys who primarily score goals. Seems pretty simple to me.
Was Gretzky a goal scorer?

Using your definition, the answer would be no. So in turn, they way you're going about defining it is wrong.

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
Was Gretzky a goal scorer?

Using your definition, the answer would be no. So in turn, they way you're going about defining it is wrong.

Kind of, but Gretzky had a really mutable career. Early on he was definitely a goal scorer, while not a majority of his points, it was close enough to 1:1 (probably 1:1.25 more often) to be considered one. In the 90s though, he was 100% a playmaker IMO, with nearly 70% of all of his points from assists.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Kind of, but Gretzky had a really mutable career. Early on he was definitely a goal scorer, while not a majority of his points, it was close enough to 1:1 (probably 1:1.25 more often) to be considered one. In the 90s though, he was 100% a playmaker IMO, with nearly 70% of all of his points from assists.
Ok, so by your definition this season:

Stamkos ISN'T a goal scorer, on pace for 36 goals and 104 assists

but

Marleau IS a goal scorer on pace for 35 goals and 22 assists

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
Ok, so by your definition this season:

Stamkos ISN'T a goal scorer, on pace for 36 goals and 104 assists

but

Marleau IS a goal scorer on pace for 35 goals and 22 assists

So I'm basing this off of ratios/majority of points. Are you just basing it off of pure goals scored? Whats the minimum cutoff to be considered a goal scorer then?

Seems like a weird derail.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
So I'm basing this off of ratios/majority of points. Are you just basing it off of pure goals scored? Whats the minimum cutoff to be considered a goal scorer then?

Seems like a weird derail.
Well yes, I would consider a guy with 36 goals a better goal scorer than a guy with 35 goals, assists are irrelevant to a being a goalscorer.

If you score goals, you're a goal scorer.

armyjoe

Nov 15, 2010
Now that approximately 20 % of the season has been played top 10 in scoring looks like this:

1. Stamkos
2. Kucherov
3. Gaudreau
4. Schwartz
5. Wheeler
6. Voracek
7. Giroux
8. Tarasenko
9. Kopitar
10. Kessel

Who`s going out, who`s going in?
I have atleast Crosby, Mcdavid and Malkin (it is time for him to be healthy again) in. Schwartz, Wheeler and Kessel out. Atleast one out of Giroux/Voracek/Kopitar will be out also, maybe replaced by karlsson.

Top 10 in ppg looks like this:
Stamkos
Kucherov
Karlsson
Wheeler
Gaudreau
Voracek
Huberdeau
Scheifele
Kopitar
Giroux

Now that we have reached 40 % mark the top 10 looks like this:
Kucherov
Stamkos
Tavares
Mcdavid
Bailey
Voracek
Kopitar
Gaudreau
Schenn
Kessel

Absence of (healthy) Crosby this late in the season is odd. Bailey is this years surpriser for sure.

Top 10 in ppg:
Kucherov, Stamkos, Voracek, Bailey, Mcdavid, Tavares, MacKinnon, Gaudreau, Schwartz and Kopitar.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Now that we have reached 40 % mark the top 10 looks like this:
Kucherov
Stamkos
Tavares
Mcdavid
Bailey
Voracek
Kopitar
Gaudreau
Schenn
Kessel

Absence of (healthy) Crosby this late in the season is odd. Bailey is this years surpriser for sure.

Top 10 in ppg:
Kucherov, Stamkos, Voracek, Bailey, Mcdavid, Tavares, MacKinnon, Gaudreau, Schwartz and Kopitar.

You are leaving out Marchand in your ppg leaders. 27 points in 22 games, he should be around 90 points if he doesn't miss any more games. I just looked at the top 100 in scoring and Marchand's name jumped out at me as I was looking at points and games played.

armyjoe

Nov 15, 2010
You are leaving out Marchand in your ppg leaders. 27 points in 22 games, he should be around 90 points if he doesn't miss any more games. I just looked at the top 100 in scoring and Marchand's name jumped out at me as I was looking at points and games played.
You are right. Should have mentioned that. I just thougt there was big percentage difference in played games so I left him out. At the end of the season those ~10 missed game sisnt that much though.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Not one of you has a list based on anything beyond your personal bias'....proven by fact no one has Marchy on it for being there by end. He was in Hart contention last season. Has 12 points in 8 games since return from missing 6 games. He's an elite level scoring machine that is rarely stopped and none of you can put aside your personal hate for his past shenanigans to even consider he IS going to be back right in the top 5, never mind top 10 way before end of season. It's funny actually.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

armyjoe

Nov 15, 2010
Not one of you has a list based on anything beyond your personal bias'....proven by fact no one has Marchy on it for being there by end. He was in Hart contention last season. Has 12 points in 8 games since return from missing 6 games. He's an elite level scoring machine that is rarely stopped and none of you can put aside your personal hate for his past shenanigans to even consider he IS going to be back right in the top 5, never mind top 10 way before end of season. It's funny actually.
Add another 9 to make top 10 and have a chance to win bragging rights.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Marchand is pacing to finish right about 10th. I don’t think there’s any crazy bias involved to think he might end up as 11th.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
And to add to all this, he has the fourth best ppg in the league at 1.23. Not only that, but he's been flat out dominant in pretty much every game he played. The fact that no one has mentioned him in this thread, just goes to show that folks can't really see much beyond their nose.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Marchand is pacing to finish right about 10th. I don’t think there’s any crazy bias involved to think he might end up as 11th.
Do you think that all those who are at way over ppg will maintain that for the whole season?
Bunch of folks who have never even been close to that (Marchand instead was over ppg last year already)... Last season 8 players at/or above ppg, this season there's 29... I think that there will be more ppg scorers this season, but 3.5 times compared to last season? Hmmmm... Also, no one else of these ppg+ players will miss time either, only Marchand? Food for thought.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Do you think that all those who are at way over ppg will maintain that for the whole season? Bunch of folks who have never even been close to that (Marchand instead was over ppg last year already)... Last season 8 players at/or above ppg, this season there's 29... I think that there will be more ppg scorers this season, but 3.5 times compared to last season? Hmmmm... Also, no one else of these ppg+ players will miss time either, only Marchand? Food for thought.

Marchand is also one of those guys. His pace is .17 ppg better than his career best year right now. And even with that, he’s still only on pace for 91. If his pace were to fall to a, still excellent, 1.1ppg, he ends up at about 81 points and likely not in the top ten this year.

Will other players miss time? Definitely. All of them? I doubt it. So Marchand is going to need to be about 3rd best in the nhl the rest of the season to be there. He could do it, but his margin for error is razor thin.

armyjoe

Nov 15, 2010
Now that approximately 60 % of the season has been played top 10 looks like this:
Kucherov
MacKinnon
Stamkos
Kessel
Giroux
Tavares
Voracek
Gaudreau
Crosby
Bailey
So it took this long for Crosby to get in.

Top 10 in ppg:
Marchand
Kucherov
MacKinnon
Getzlaf
Stamkos
Bailey
Giroux
Voracek
Gaudreau
Kessel

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I think Gaudreau will be top 15 not top 10 when checking tightens up so will his scoring , As far as Draisaitl who showed last season his big body produced better in the 2nd half of the season and is currently a ppg with a pp producing horribly and will improve will put him back in the top 10. If you see I have no small players in top 10 this season . Huberdeau is a big body who has Barkov to cover him on defence side will have 80+ point season if he stays healthy also take matthews in draftkings due for multiple point game tonight

Gaudreau was much better in the second half last year. Seems like your premise is flawed.

His entire career he's been better in the second half.

Seems you're letting your bias blind you.

What bias are you for real ? 2 seasons ago in the gaudreau thread early in the season I predicted he would end up with 81 pts just shy of a ppg he had 79 and missed 2 games lol exact trajectory . I have called his career a hell of a lot closer than you have so just give it up with bias bs. I said he would finish in top 15 according to you this is bias lmao this site at times.
QHgHQTX.gif

Oh my look at my Oiler Bias Once again I called Gaudreau projection right again

zlL4q13.png

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

He was still in the top 10 prior to his father having a heart attack. He hasn't played since. Were you anticipating that?

Pretty impressive considering his centerman was borderline useless for months due to several injuries and he's had a rotating door of RWs.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
He was still in the top 10 prior to his father having a heart attack. He hasn't played since. Were you anticipating that?

Pretty impressive considering his centerman was borderline useless for months due to several injuries and he's had a rotating door of RWs.
he has missed one game lol his ppg is 16th seems like your premise is flawed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->