Top 10 Goalie Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Who is your list of top 10 goalie prospects? I always hear about guys like Lehtonen, Ouellet, etc., but ow do you rank these guys relatively? Also, what are their respective chances of making the NHL soon, or at least taking on a significant role?

I can't say I know as much as I'd like in this area, and am looking for some informed opinions.

Thanks guys!

thestonedkoala

Not really a top 10 because I like all these goalies but:

1. Kari Lehtonen
2. Josh Harding
3. Maxime Oullette
4. Maxime Daigneault
5. David Leneveu
6. Ray Emery
7. Cam Ward
8. Jason Bacashihua
9. Jeff Deslauriers
10. Ilya Bryzgalov

Some other goalies to watch for:
Evengi Konstantinov (I don't know how's he doing for TB)
Oliver Michaud (Ditto)
Michael Leighton (Is he a Prospect?)
Pascal Leclaire
Stefan Liv
Tobias Stephen
Ari Ahonen
Barry Brust
Brent Krahn

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:

1. Kari Lehtonen
2. Josh Harding
3. Maxime Oullette
4. Maxime Daigneault
5. David Leneveu
6. Ray Emery
7. Cam Ward
8. Jason Bacashihua
9. Jeff Deslauriers
10. Ilya Bryzgalov

Oliver Michaud (Ditto)
Pascal Leclaire
Stefan Liv
Tobias Stephen
Ari Ahonen
Barry Brust
Brent Krahn

Wow, I'm surprised to see Leclaire outside of the top 10 after all the hype. Thanks. I look forward to others' thoughts.

Anfernic

Feb 19, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:

1. Kari Lehtonen
2. Josh Harding
3. Maxime Oullette
4. Maxime Daigneault
5. David Leneveu
6. Ray Emery
7. Cam Ward
8. Jason Bacashihua
9. Jeff Deslauriers
10. Ilya Bryzgalov

Oliver Michaud (Ditto)
Pascal Leclaire
Stefan Liv
Tobias Stephen
Ari Ahonen
Barry Brust
Brent Krahn

Barulin is also real good

CFABoy

Mar 27, 2003
Richmond, BC
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:

1. Kari Lehtonen
2. Josh Harding
3. Maxime Oullette
4. Maxime Daigneault
5. David Leneveu
6. Ray Emery
7. Cam Ward
8. Jason Bacashihua
9. Jeff Deslauriers
10. Ilya Bryzgalov

Oliver Michaud (Ditto)
Pascal Leclaire
Stefan Liv
Tobias Stephen
Ari Ahonen
Barry Brust
Brent Krahn

Hannu Toivanen will be around no. 6-8 in that list. He's putting up solid numbers in the AHL as a 19 year old and is a potential all-star.

leafaholix*

In no particular order...

Top 10
Marc-Andre Fleury
Maxime Oullet
Ray Emery
Mikael Tellqvist
Ilja Bryzgalov
Pascal Leclaire
Hannu Toivonen
Ryan Miller
Josh Harding
Kari Lehtonen

H.M.
Konstantin Barulin
Henrik Lundqvist
Ari Ahonen

Not sure if I missed anyone.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
tenative list... i know im forgetting at least 1 good one...

1. MA Fleury (if he counts)
2. Kari Lehtonen
3. Maxime Oullette
4. Ryan Miller
5. Cam Ward
6. Ari Ahonen
7. Mike Ayers
8. Ray Emery
9. Jason Bacashihua
10. Michael Leighton

The blackhawks are friggen loaded at goal. we probably have at least 4 of the top 25 goalie prospects.

Last edited:

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
go pierre hedin said:
In no particular order...

Top 10
Marc-Andre Fleury
Maxime Oullet
Ray Emery
Mikael Tellqvist
Ilja Bryzgalov
Pascal Leclaire
Hannu Toivonen
Ryan Miller
Josh Harding
Kari Lehtonen

H.M.
Konstantin Barulin
Henrik Lundqvist
Ari Ahonen

Not sure if I missed anyone.

Of these guys, who do you foresee being able to make an impact soon? We all know Raycroft is young, but how long can he hold off Toivonen, for example?

leafaholix*

Jobu said:
Of these guys, who do you foresee being able to make an impact soon? We all know Raycroft is young, but how long can he hold off Toivonen, for example?
I'm no expert, but I don't see Raycroft having to hold off Toivonen. Hannu's really young and will probably spend atleast a couple years in the AHL.

I'd say as of right now, Raycroft is Boston's goalie of the future.

Right now, anyone of Tellqvist, Fleury, Miller or Oullet would probably make an impact sooner because of their situation.

Tellqvist would be in the NHL as Belfour's backup if it weren't for Trevor Kidd. He's played at a high level over the last few years... in Sweden and now in North America. He dominated the Swedish Elite League at a young age and has had a solid career in North America. He's currently in St. John's, starting for the Maple Leafs AHL affiliate.

Marc-Andre Fleury has obviously made an impact, but with that defense (in Pittsburgh) it would probably be wiser to send him to the QMJHL.

Miller is Buffalo's goalie of the future, not sure what they're trying to do but I've heard from various media sources that Martin Biron is on the trading block. A move like that would allow Miller to get more time in the NHL.

And Oullet is one of the top goalies in the AHL, he's the goalie of the future for the Capitals, Kolzig's getting older and the organization is probably looking to build young by moving Jaromir Jagr and possibly Sergei Gonchar. They will also have a lottery pick at this pace.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Is there any chance that any of these prospects being discussed here could step in in a major way for next year? I guess Tellqvist if Bekfour retired or Ouellet if Kolzig gets traded, but who else? Roloson is well over 30 and Fernandez is 29, but Harding is pretty damn young as far as I know. Will there be a changing of the guard anywhere in the near future?

easton122

May 14, 2003
USA
Visit site
I don't see Belfour retiring at the end of this year. I give him at least 1 more season after this one and another is still a posibility but this is just my opinion. Tellqvist is gonna backup Belfour a bit this year depending on what happens to Kidd. I don't see Kidd next year so Tellqvist could see a good amount of games next season.

Harding is very young so I don't see him making an impact at the NHL any time soon. If he continues to make noise he will get a contract and see a few games due to injuries. Roloson is 34 now and he could still have a good 2-4 seasons left IMO. Fernandez could be traded for some depth though.

If Washington continues to stay at the bottom of the standings Kolzig getting trading goes up. Ouellet is a very good goalie and could step in very soon I think.

dragonwyck

It's nice to see a couple people mention Barulin, but he doesn't get nearly enough respect.

Frolov

Nov 24, 2003
1) Kari Lehtonen
2) David LeNeveu - Pacific division fans know this guy very well. He dominated the prospect tournament

BruinFan42

Jun 16, 2003
Visit site
The scary part is trying to convince people that Raycroft isn't our top goalie prospect, Toivonen is probably going to spend the entire year in the AHL unless things get worse with Potvin, and he'll stay in the AHL during the work-stoppage. When the NHL resumes, it's likely that Toivonen will come up to the NHL and be Raycroft's backup for 2004 season, and then will probably split with Raycroft in 2005 before becoming the #1 by the time he's 22....

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Frolov said:
1) Kari Lehtonen
2) David LeNeveu - Pacific division fans know this guy very well. He dominated the prospect tournament

I don't know much about LeNeveu. Assuming Burke gets traded and the Bierk/Boucher situation works itself out, any chance we see LeNeveu next year?

leafaholix*

easton122 said:
I don't see Belfour retiring at the end of this year. I give him at least 1 more season after this one and another is still a posibility but this is just my opinion. Tellqvist is gonna backup Belfour a bit this year depending on what happens to Kidd. I don't see Kidd next year so Tellqvist could see a good amount of games next season.
If there happens to be a strike in '04/'05, Belfour will probably not be back. He's going to be 39 once the playoffs start and I really don't see the Leafs hanging onto a 40 year old goaltender once the strike is over.

Mikael Tellqvist is ready to step into the starting position for Toronto right now, and he'd be a respectable goaltender. Mikael's no 20 year old kid, he's around 24 and has had plenty of success at every level (Sweden, International, AHL).

Ed's still one of the top goalies in the world at age 38, but the Leafs are going to probably lose a handful of the older guys after this season.

Gary Roberts
Joe Nieuwendyk
Tom Fitzgerald
Bryan Marchment
Mikael Renberg
Trevor Kidd
Robert Reichel

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Looks like Pascal LeClaire is down on many lists. I think this guy could be one of the best prospects for goalies IMO, he is having a great year this year in the AHL and I know what this guy is capable of, IMO he is top 5 on this list.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Jobu said:
I don't know much about LeNeveu. Assuming Burke gets traded and the Bierk/Boucher situation works itself out, any chance we see LeNeveu next year?

Very little chance of that happening. Right now, he is behind Burke, Boucher, Bierk and Pelletier. He had a killer year last year at Cornell, but he is struggling along with the entire team in Springfield. I would guess he'll play this and most of next season as a Falcon, possibly getting an inury call up next season. Then he will be worked in as a back up. The major point I want to make is that he is going to a very good goalie, but he will put up great numbers because he is the perfect goalie for Benoit Allaire to mold, based on his playing style.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
moosefan said:
Looks like Pascal LeClaire is down on many lists. I think this guy could be one of the best prospects for goalies IMO, he is having a great year this year in the AHL and I know what this guy is capable of, IMO he is top 5 on this list.

Let Pascal be underrated. We have Nash and Zherdev to take the spotlight anyways.

thestonedkoala

The situation in Minnesota is pretty clogged with goalies:

Dwayne Roloson is going to be our starter. He hs shown time and again he can hold his own, even though his W-L look bad. He'll be here for another couple of seasons.

Manny Fernandez is going to walk this year. He wants to be number 1 and he won't be behind Roloson. He'll be traded or he'll walk.

Johan Holmqvist will move into the backup spot.

Kyle Kettles AHLer for now but doing good.

Josh Harding could be moving into the AHL next year.

Barry Brust to the ECHL, Cloutier stays.

Miroslav Kopriva is doing well too.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Sir Ozzie X said:
Let Pascal be underrated. We have Nash and Zherdev to take the spotlight anyways.

There was a sense of shock following the 2001 draft because from what I heard, Blackburn seemed like the logical choice over Pascal. He has somewhat fallen off the radar since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad