Top 10 goalie prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Thomas Greiss needs to be on any list for top 10.

Keeping in mind that he plays in a men's pro league in Germany as a 19 year old, consider this:

1.99 GAA (2nd in the league)
0.941 sv% (leads league)
1 shutout (the most shutouts any goalie has is 3)

Since I can't read a lot of German, and don't understand all teh abbreviations, I can't tell you what his record is though.

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
Can the authors of the two lists that have Carey Price listed as their top prospect answer me this: How can you have him ranked higher than FIVE AND THREE WJC Starting goalies, two of which were the top goalies in the last two championships

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
The irony. Lundqvist was hardly on anyones rankings a couple of years ago. Because "experts" here claimed his stats meant nothing as he wasn´t tested on NA-rinks.

Now suddenly he is the best of them all and just had his second shutout:amazed:

leafaholix*

my list:

1. tuukka rask
2. carey price
3. justin pogge
4. ondrej pavelec
5. josh harding
6. alvaro montoya
7. marek schwarz
8. devan dubnyk
9. jeff frazee
10. tomas popperle

hifk88

Nov 2, 2005
Helsinki
1.Tuukka Rask
2.Alvaro Montoya
3.Carey Price
4.Justin Pogge
5.Corey Schneider
6.Marek Schwarz
7.Jeff Frazee
8.Ondrej Pavelec
9.Thomas Greiss
10.Karri Rämö

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Levitate said:
i hope you're considering lundqvist a NHLer...

I am. He's started consistently since the beginning of the season, unlike the others.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Raging Bull said:
Tuukka Rask >>>>> Carey Price at this point in time.

Agree. This from a passionate Leafs and Habs hater. So I'm neutral ;) . Rask looks amazing. I watched the whole Fin/Swe game and couldnt beleive it!

OilerOlli*

superroyain10 said:
Little love for Thomas Greiss, or any of SJ's goaltending prospects.

He plays in Germany, so I think the most users here dont even know him.
But the chances are great that they will know him in a few years!

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Kryoptix said:
:propeller
all hail pogge and rask !!
price is bust !

No one said that, but goaltenders are hard to judge where to draft. Before the 05' WJC's, Rask was the number one goalie in the draft by far and was supposed to go top 10. He had a pretty crappy tournament and his stock dropped while Prices stock raised.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Tthe truth of it is that like Raging Bull said, goalies are tougher to rate, however since the draft one of the goalies has gone on to win the top goalie at the WJC, while the other one lost the job to a guy who didn't even go to the Summer Selection Camp.

Goalie rankings are really about who has the hot hand at the moment, and like it or not, there's two Leafs prospects sitting above Carey Price on the rankings list if you're being objective, not because Price has performed poorly, but because Pogge and Rask have simply been amazing as of late, and have boosted their rankings, while Carey Price has been doing well at the CHL level-and that simply is not enough to put him ahead of goalies who played incredibly well on the International stage.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
GregStack said:
Tthe truth of it is that like Raging Bull said, goalies are tougher to rate, however since the draft one of the goalies has gone on to win the top goalie at the WJC, while the other one lost the job to a guy who didn't even go to the Summer Selection Camp.

Goalie rankings are really about who has the hot hand at the moment, and like it or not, there's two Leafs prospects sitting above Carey Price on the rankings list if you're being objective, not because Price has performed poorly, but because Pogge and Rask have simply been amazing as of late, and have boosted their rankings, while Carey Price has been doing well at the CHL level-and that simply is not enough to put him ahead of goalies who played incredibly well on the International stage.
Price is also one year younger ..
whatever nobody know who will end up better anyway..

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Kryoptix said:
True and is an important fact when rating him compared to Pogge but he is the same age as Rask. For me Price is still the better prospect compared to Pogge but right now he is behind Rask.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Kryoptix said:

One year younger means nothing.

I agree, next year it could all change. But as of now, Pogge has shown he's better, and Rask has proven that as well. Later it may all change.

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
The Nemesis said:
Thomas Greiss needs to be on any list for top 10.

Keeping in mind that he plays in a men's pro league in Germany as a 19 year old, consider this:

1.99 GAA (2nd in the league)
0.941 sv% (leads league)
1 shutout (the most shutouts any goalie has is 3)

Since I can't read a lot of German, and don't understand all teh abbreviations, I can't tell you what his record is though.
Usually in Germany we do not really put that much importance to somebody's record. The official league website doesn't even list them, neither does the official team website.

Maybe I can find a page which lists them.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
1) Tuukka Rask
2) Al Montoya
3) Justin Pogge
4) Marek Schwarz
5) Corey Schneider
6) Carey Price
7) Julien Ellis
8) Devan Dubnyk
9) Ondrej Pavelec
10) Jeff Frazee

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
clay said:
1) Tuukka Rask
2) Al Montoya
3) Justin Pogge
4) Marek Schwarz
5) Corey Schneider
6) Carey Price
7) Julien Ellis
8) Devan Dubnyk
9) Ondrej Pavelec
10) Jeff Frazee

Good list. The only change is Price replacing Schneider. :)

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
One decent tournament doesn't tell you much . Many hero goalies of the Junior championship turn out to be mediorce or little good at all. Also little faults at the Junior level get exploited big time by the pros. In the end much of goaltending is mental and that is really tough to gauge at this point.

Guys who I think have good pro upside include

1. Pogge
2. Price
3. Schnieder
4. Montoya
5. Schwartz (real boom or bust prospect)

Others are real shots in the dark. Some virtually untested. Rask IMO will have to change his style to survive with the pros. Ellis and Dubnyk have significant flaws in their games. Ellis can get beat high and Dubnyk has poor rebound control and mis-times butterfly.

pickell

Feb 18, 2005
Mogo said:
Rask is over rated

I was in Vancouver and the Kid is a great goalie. Very calm and cool.
He will be an NHL goalie. Not as big as some Fin goalies but very good at reading the play.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
1. Tuukka Rask
2. Thomas Greiss
3. Ondrej Pavelec
4. Justin Pogge
5. Marek Schwarz
6. Carey Price
7. Josh Harding
8. Pascal Leclaire
9. Julien Ellis