Top 10 drafted goaltending prospects...

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
Guys, maybe you can help me out. I'm interested in knowing who the top 10 (or more) already drafted goaltending prospects are. I'm talkin' about guys who've played less than let's say, 10 NHL games. I know of Howard, LeNeveau, Schneider off the top of my head but need help with more.

Guys who will more than likely be the team starter or close to it withing 3-4 years. Thanks all. An order would be great as well. ;)

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Bernier, Helenius, Toivonen, Lehtonen, Howard, Montoya, Price, Rinne, Schwarz, Irving, Greiss, Harding, LeNeveu, Schneider, Rask, Pogge, Glass, Pavelec, Varlamov.

More than 10, but it's a decent list. Not really in order.

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
Bernier, Helenius, Toivonen, Lehtonen, Howard, Montoya, Price, Rinne, Schwarz, Irving, Greiss, Harding, LeNeveu, Schneider, Rask, Pogge, Glass, Pavelec, Varlamov.

More than 10, but it's a decent list. Not really in order.

All these guys will be starters? Don't see Montoya starting in NY if Lundy keeps it up. An order would be really helpful. Pretend I'm trying to see who I should go for in rebuilding my fantasy team. Well...don't pretend I guess because that's what I'm looking for. The best kids who will be number 1 in 3-4 years...in order I guess.

Thanks in advance. ;)

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
All these guys will be starters? Don't see Montoya starting in NY if Lundy keeps it up. An order would be really helpful. Pretend I'm trying to see who I should go for in rebuilding my fantasy team. Well...don't pretend I guess because that's what I'm looking for. The best kids who will be number 1 in 3-4 years...in order I guess.

Thanks in advance. ;)

If those guys hit their potentials they should all be starters, not sure about 3-4 years.

The only guys I can see being full time starters in 3-4 years (in order ;)):
Lehtonen
Toivonen
Howard
Montoya (who knows where)
Harding
LeNeveu

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Devan Dubnyk has a real good shot at starting in Edmonton in a few years given the age of Roloson, unless the Oilers acquire another younger goaltender before Roloson retires.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
If those guys hit their potentials they should all be starters, not sure about 3-4 years.

The only guys I can see being full time starters in 3-4 years (in order ;)):
Lehtonen
Toivonen
Howard
Montoya (who knows where)
Harding
LeNeveu

My ideal situation for the Sharks would be:

-Nabokov takes job back from Toskala. They A)hold onto him as the backup for the remaining two years or B) trade him for chips and have Patzold (or Schaefer if they re-sign him) back him up. Greiss starter in Worcester with Dakers backing him up.

-Two years go by, Greiss begins apprenticeship under Nabokov as his backup. Dakers starting in Worcester.

-Two years later, Nabokov contract (which is surprisingly now considered a steal :D ) is now expired and Greiss has shown enough to take over the starter of the Sharks. Vet backup brought in. Dakers still starting in Worcester, eventually backing up (challenging?) Greiss in the future.

So I can see Greiss as the Sharks starter within 4 years.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Devan Dubnyk has a real good shot at starting in Edmonton in a few years given the age of Roloson, unless the Oilers acquire another younger goaltender before Roloson retires.

Indeed, I want to see what DD can do with an actual team in front of him. He sure is a nice package of frame, reflexes, positioning, and player tendency study. If he can put it all together he could be a top 10 NHL goalie. Kolzig-like. I think his biggest problem may be concentration issues. And that can be corrected.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
This would be my Top 10, based on your criteria of NHL ready-ness ;) :

1. Hannu Toivonnen- If you still count him as a prospect :dunno: ... He's penciled in as the Bruins starter this year. He could do big things IMO.

2. Jimmy Howard - Another good year in the AHL and he could very well be the number 1 guy next year in Mo-Town.

3. David LeNeveu- Heir apparent to Cujo... like Howard, he could be the starter as ealry as next year.

4. Josh Harding- Will be backup this year... after a few years he should be ready to take over the reigns from Fernandez

5. Justin Pogge- If everything goes according to plan, he could be ready for NHL duty in 2-3 seasons

6. Carey Price- Again, if everything goes according to plan, Price should be ready for starting duty in 4 years.

7. Marek Schwarz- A lot of people have given up on this guy, but I think if he's brought over and gets a couple of years of AHL apprentiship under his belt, he could be a very good goalie.

8. Thomas Griess- Goaltending is crowded in San Jose right now, but they should make room Griess in 3-4 years

9. Al Montoya- He should be NHL ready soon... 2-3 years... but will it be with the Rangers?

10. Devan Dubnyk- Needs to adjust to the pro speed and game... but there should be a goalie opening in Edmonton 3-4 years from now and he should be in the thick of it.

There are other great goalies out there... like Rask, Pavelec ect... but by they're likely more far away from NHL duty.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Wow. Carey Price is MORE ready than Montoya?!

Pogge is more ready than him?!

Please!!!

Montoya just put up an extremely, extremely impressive season in the AHL. More than anything those guys have done yet.

It's funny how underrated he's become. Boderline Pejorative Slured.

Vote for Rory

Nov 13, 2004
As long as Luongo's in Vancouver, Cory Schneider won't be a starter (unless he's traded).

Sucks for Schneider, had high hopes for him. I guess what will happen is he'll keep working his way through the Vancouver system, then when hes ready 3 years down the road we'll see whats going on with Luongo.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Montoya doesn't need anywhere near 2 or 3 more years of development time. Arguably he could walk out of training camp as the backup. More than likely he'll spend most of this season in Hartford because there is nowhere else for Kevin Weekes to go. Weekes was signed to be a starter--is nowhere near as good as Lundqvist and I expect his career as a Ranger will end sometime during the season or at the latest at the end of this season. Montoya will take his place.

Vic Rattlehead*

Please!!!

Montoya just put up an extremely, extremely impressive season in the AHL. More than anything those guys have done yet.

I agree. He way ahead of Price and Pogge right now. Montoya is an excellent goaltending prospect, but has fallen under the radar for some weird reason.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005

Please!!!

I wasn't bashing Montoya at all... but in all honesty: when do you think he'll get a crack at the Rangers lineup?

This wasn't a "Best Goalie Prospect" list... it was "Guys who will more than likely be the team starter or close to it withing 3-4 years." ... With Lundqvist in the picture... it's entirely possible he'll spend more time than nessisary in the AHL... or could even get traded.

Same deal with a guy like Rask... he's a great prospect... but will he get a chance anytime soon (3-4 years) with Toivonnen in the picture?

CronoX

Mar 15, 2006
Hockeytown, MI
In terms of fantasy (not overall prospect rating), I'd rank them like this:

Lehtonen/Toivonen - the best, but not really prospects anymore
Howard - he'll get serious playing time next year and probably full time starter in 2-3 years
Harding - defensive system like Minny is grounds for goaltending gold
LeNeveu - Phoenix's goalie of the future. has to prove himself that last years numbers were fluke and has chance as backup this year. could start full time next year
Price - sure fire #1 and potential franchise goalie
Montoya - great goalie, but like Rask is in a bad situation playing behind another top, young goalie. his value shoots up to #3 if he is traded
Rask - his potential is equal to or greater than Price, but he has to beat out Toivonen for the job and will take a long time before being ready
Pogge - solid netminder and Toronto's clear cut future 'tender, but probably not as good as the guys above him
Pavelec - awesome potential, but like Rask & Montoya is in bad situation (worse since Atl is so in love with Kari)

finally, Bernier/Helenius/Griess/Schwarz are good, but won't be ready for a while. howard/harding/leneveu are weighed so highly since they are actually in the NHL and are almost guaranteed to be starters within 2 or 3 years, as opposed to the other goalies who are fighting to reach the NHL at all.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Matt Keetley

What do you guys think about his prospects in the pro ranks? (after one more season in the dub with the Tigers)

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
What do you guys think about his prospects in the pro ranks? (after one more season in the dub with the Tigers)

Keetley will need some time adjusting. Last year was his first year as being the #1 goalie. The Flames have some (one?) good goalie prospect in their system.

What I like about Keetley is his size and his composure. He will fight through the rough patches and will bounce back.

I'm just sad that he got drafted by the Flames. :(

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
In terms of fantasy (not overall prospect rating), I'd rank them like this:

Lehtonen/Toivonen - the best, but not really prospects anymore
Howard - he'll get serious playing time next year and probably full time starter in 2-3 years
Harding - defensive system like Minny is grounds for goaltending gold
LeNeveu - Phoenix's goalie of the future. has to prove himself that last years numbers were fluke and has chance as backup this year. could start full time next year
Price - sure fire #1 and potential franchise goalie
Montoya - great goalie, but like Rask is in a bad situation playing behind another top, young goalie. his value shoots up to #3 if he is traded
Rask - his potential is equal to or greater than Price, but he has to beat out Toivonen for the job and will take a long time before being ready
Pogge - solid netminder and Toronto's clear cut future 'tender, but probably not as good as the guys above him
Pavelec - awesome potential, but like Rask & Montoya is in bad situation (worse since Atl is so in love with Kari)

finally, Bernier/Helenius/Griess/Schwarz are good, but won't be ready for a while. howard/harding/leneveu are weighed so highly since they are actually in the NHL and are almost guaranteed to be starters within 2 or 3 years, as opposed to the other goalies who are fighting to reach the NHL at all.

Exactally my logic... good list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->