Not open for further replies.

august

Sep 3, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
1- Cam Barker D Medicine Hat (WHL)
2- Wes O'Neill D Notre Dame (CCHA)
3- Ladislav Smid D Liberec (Cze)
4- Andrej Meszaros D Dukla Trencin (Svk)
5- Kirill Lyamin D CSKA (Rus)
6- Johan Fransson D Lulea (Swe)
7- A.J. Thelen D Michigan State (CCHA)
8- Mike Green D Saskatoon (WHL)
9- Richard Demen-Willaume D Vastra Frolunda (Swe)
10- Oscar Hedman D MoDo (Swe)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
august said:

To add a few whom I think could crack the top 10 of defenseman would be Jonathan Siglet of Bowling Green and Mitch Maunu of Windsor.

Last edited:

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
august said:

Mike Green - Nice first round sleeper.

Thelen is underrated.

Good list.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Jshibley said:
I would love to see a list of peoples top 10 defensemen available in the 2004 draft. If you could put there current team that would be great too. thanks a million in advance.

Do you think that Anaheim will pick a d-men in the next draft?

As long as we suck right now, but not as other teams, and since Bryan Murray prefer big canadian kids (even if there are a lot of interesting europeans d-men), I think that Wes O'Neill is one to watch (I'm not a big fan of him), I see him picked from the 5th to 11th position.

Jshibley

Fighter said:
Do you think that Anaheim will pick a d-men in the next draft?

As long as we suck right now, but not as other teams, and since Bryan Murray prefer big canadian kids (even if there are a lot of interesting europeans d-men), I think that Wes O'Neill is one to watch (I'm not a big fan of him), I see him picked from the 5th to 11th position.

I definatly think the Ducks are going to get a D-man in this years draft. They took forwards in the first round in each of the last 4 drafts. There only decent prospect on D is Mark Popovic, who still hasn't been able to crack the ducks line-up, not to mention statistacly not doing so well in the AHL. If the ducks continue to play as bad as they are this season, I definatly see the drafting Barker with there first pick, after wich he will most likely imediatly be our top ranked prospect. Not only because his skill leval is so high, but also because our talent is so thin on D.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
august said:

WHAT ABOUT SAMI LEPISTO?

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
august said:

Only thing though is that O'Neill might opt out of this draft and into 2005. Reason is that if he opts into the draft this year he losses his NCAA eligability.

Guys not on the list that could bump others out are:

Michael Sersen
Mark Fistric
Mike Card
Jonathan Sigalet
Jordan Smith

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
moosefan said:
Only thing though is that O'Neill might opt out of this draft and into 2005. Reason is that if he opts into the draft this year he losses his NCAA eligability.

Guys not on the list that could bump others out are:

Michael Sersen
Mark Fistric
Mike Card
Jonathan Sigalet
Jordan Smith

How does a player lose their NCAA eligibility by entering the draft?

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
slats432 said:
How does a player lose their NCAA eligibility by entering the draft?

For this draft year, if a player was born after September 15th 1985 and they are playing in the NCAA they will lose thier eligibility. This is the way it's always been. However, the rule change that came into effect last year allows all players who are born before the draft eligibility cut-off date (For this years draft that date is September 15th 1986) who are not playing the NCAA this year to be drafted without losing thier NCAA eligibility (before this rule change these players would have lost thier NCAA eligibility). The best illustration of this from last years draft is the example of Ryan Suter and Alvaro Montoya. They are both "early" '85 birthdates but since Montoya was already playing in the NCAA, he would have lost his NCAA eligibility had he opted in. Suter OTOH was still with the NTDP's U18 team so he entered the draft without it effecting his eligibility. The rule really makes no sense and doesn't seem to serve any real purpose.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Fedz said:
Ouch...What happened to Mike Card from Kelowna..He was once rated #2 for D.

Hasn't really developed offensively the way it was expected. Still, that could be because he's playing on a team with a very defense-oriented system. Plenty of time for him to get back on track, too.

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
I rank Oscar Hedman as the 2nd best swedish defenceman. If he continues to play this good in the SEL its not impossible he would be the top ranked Swedish defenceman til draft time.

eh

Sami Lepistö might be a year overaged (late 84 birthdate), but being the top defenseman of the WJC certainly doesn't hurt. Fransson, for example, is only a couple of months older and they are both offensively gifted defensemen playing their first season on senior level, having very similar seasons as far as stats can tell.

I'm not saying Lepistö should go as high as Fransson, or that he'll be one of the top-10 defenders on draft day, but he has to get some respect.

Funkymoses

cagney said:
The rule really makes no sense and doesn't seem to serve any real purpose.

no, it doesn't, not for hockey. it was passed as a bball change so that guys who get very bad advice out of HS, apply for the NBA draft and don't get drafted aren't totally screwed. Step in the right direction for college hockey with that unfortunate weird side effect.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Mitch Manau of Windsor Spitfires could be a solid defenseman in the NHL...and a sleeper in the first or second rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->