Top 10 Defencemen Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
I don't mind people prefering Phaneuf to Suter, but to say he's "head and shoulders" ahead of him is pretty silly. IMO, Phaneuf is a great prospect, but is being overrated a tad because of the check he had on Olesz. Kind of how Jani Rita's stock went up after his bomb of a shot against Chris Madden and the U.S. squad at the WJC's a few years ago.
I see your point, but Phaneuf wasn't named top blueliner just because of that one hit. The head and shoulders comment was stupid yes, I suppose the homer police role people try to play is more annoying then people who make homeristic comments.

Phaneuf and Suter are dead even in my mind with maybe Phaneuf with a slight edge, I have also seen Phaneuf alot more so take that for what its worth. I beleive both Phaneuf and Suter have franchise potential right now while Barker, Coburn etc do not.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
MrMastodonFarm said:
I see your point, but Phaneuf wasn't named top blueliner just because of that one hit. The head and shoulders comment was stupid yes, I suppose the homer police role people try to play is more annoying then people who make homeristic comments.

Phaneuf and Suter are dead even in my mind with maybe Phaneuf with a slight edge, I have also seen Phaneuf alot more so take that for what its worth. I beleive both Phaneuf and Suter have franchise potential right now while Barker, Coburn etc do not.

I dont think that any of the other D prospects are up there with Phaneuf right now....ones that i think are in the next bracket are Suter Coburn Barker and a sleeper dman who i think will be really good is Mark Stuart.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MrMastodonFarm said:

I would tend to agree with you, yet I've seen too many instances of a singular event propelling a player farther along in the minds of people than their overall game should probably warrant.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
i mention this every time the suter\phaneuf debate comes up:

rob blake and scott stevens.

they play slightly different games...but they're pretty equal in terms of value to their teams. I think Phaneuf and Suter are about dead even, and I think either one might have a slight edge on the other, but none of us see BOTH of them enough to know which one it is. And I agree with those saying that these two are in a different bracket altogether than the next tier of guys...barker, coburn, etc.

Randall Graves*

phaneuf_fan_3 said:
I dont think that any of the other D prospects are up there with Phaneuf right now....ones that i think are in the next bracket are Suter Coburn Barker and a sleeper dman who i think will be really good is Mark Stuart.
And i'm sure your not biased at all.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I could definetly see Kronwall getting 30 points next year, especially if the Wings don't resign Schneider. He has excellent vision and has the second best outlet pass on the Wings next to Lids. He offensive game is also very similiar to Lids in that he is a very good passer and has a pretty nice shot. Its not overly hard but it is quite accurate. The way I see it is that he got 5 points in 20 games last season playing around 13 minutes a game, which I seem him getting this year if not more. Chelios isn't going to be able to play as many games as before, and niether Chelios or Hatcher are that great offensively. If Lewis is smart he'll give both Kronwall and Fisch pp time. I agree that Kronwall if played correctly could be a darkhorse for the calder, and make a few highlight reel hits too. Too me his game is a mix of Vlad and Lids, but he along with Fisch need to work on their positional game.

TKLOOCH22

Jul 23, 2002
Nueva York
Visit site
Ranger fan so gotta show some love for Tjutin. I think Babchuk is gonna be a pretty damn good player. Size, shot, nastiness and skating will take him far.

Phaneuf
Suter
Whitney
Tjutin
Coburn
Barker
Babchuk
Grebeshkov
Woywitka
Colaiacovo

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
#1 - Dion Phaneuf: The surest bet to be an NHL star outside of Kari Lehtonen & Alexander Ovechkin among prospects. Top pairing potential.

#2 - Ryan Suter: A close second. While he is not the 'sure thing' Phaneuf is, you could argue that Suter's potential to be a better player is perhaps better. Still, until Suter shows his offensive game is not in statis, he's #2. Top pairing potential.

#3 - Fedor Tyutin: He's pretty well already an NHL player, and his overall skill level is very high. Big guy who does just about everything right. Could be a top 3 man someday.

#4 - Cam Barker: A great prospect, but I want to see more. Some nights you go see Barker and you're just really dissapointed. That happened for me last year. Had a 'meh' Memorial Cup until the final game where he was just crazy-good. Kid has a lot of potential, but still a ways from the NHL so that's why he's not #3. Top 3 potential.

#5 - Ladislav Smid: Excellent two-way player who might be like fellow Czech Roman Hamrlik. Has to work on his aggressiveness, but overall is a very, very smart kid who has size and skill to work with. Top 3 potential.

#6 - Carlo Colaiacovo: Does everything on the ice pretty darn well, nothing wrong with this kid in the least. Has the potential to dominate games, but has to be more consistant. Top 4 potential for sure.

#7 - Denis Grebeshkov: I personally really like this Russian, I know some don't but he really does it for me. I like his hustle, I think he works so hard that there's no way he'll fail. Top 4 potential.

#8 - Christian Ehrhoff: Boom or bust, but the boom is so high on this young man. He could be a HELL of a defenseman, or he won't play much at all. Maybe the fastest defenseman the NHL has every seen, or at least the quickest, and very skilled with the puck. I am a big fan, and he could be a top 3 man. And considering the Sharks great track record with working with young prospects, I'd say the boom is fairly atainable for him.

#9 - Anton Babchuck: Not sure if he's still a prospect by HF standards, but I really like this kid. Top 4 potential.

#10 - Braydon Coburn: Not a lot of skill, but doesn't embarass himself either. Had a stretch for a month or so where he looked all-world, but came down again. Probobly shouldn't have been drafted as high as he was, but he WILL make the NHL, but at what capacity, who knows. Probobly a top 4 man though.

Notable Ommissios: Meszaros, Lynch, Stuart, Koltsov, Whitney, Woywitka - all very good, but not quite good enough to make my list.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Jay Thompson said:
#1 - Dion Phaneuf: The surest bet to be an NHL star outside of Kari Lehtonen & Alexander Ovechkin among prospects. Top pairing potential.

#2 - Ryan Suter: A close second. While he is not the 'sure thing' Phaneuf is, you could argue that Suter's potential to be a better player is perhaps better. Still, until Suter shows his offensive game is not in statis, he's #2. Top pairing potential.

#3 - Fedor Tyutin: He's pretty well already an NHL player, and his overall skill level is very high. Big guy who does just about everything right. Could be a top 3 man someday.

#4 - Cam Barker: A great prospect, but I want to see more. Some nights you go see Barker and you're just really dissapointed. That happened for me last year. Had a 'meh' Memorial Cup until the final game where he was just crazy-good. Kid has a lot of potential, but still a ways from the NHL so that's why he's not #3. Top 3 potential.

#5 - Ladislav Smid: Excellent two-way player who might be like fellow Czech Roman Hamrlik. Has to work on his aggressiveness, but overall is a very, very smart kid who has size and skill to work with. Top 3 potential.

#6 - Carlo Colaiacovo: Does everything on the ice pretty darn well, nothing wrong with this kid in the least. Has the potential to dominate games, but has to be more consistant. Top 4 potential for sure.

#7 - Denis Grebeshkov: I personally really like this Russian, I know some don't but he really does it for me. I like his hustle, I think he works so hard that there's no way he'll fail. Top 4 potential.

#8 - Christian Ehrhoff: Boom or bust, but the boom is so high on this young man. He could be a HELL of a defenseman, or he won't play much at all. Maybe the fastest defenseman the NHL has every seen, or at least the quickest, and very skilled with the puck. I am a big fan, and he could be a top 3 man. And considering the Sharks great track record with working with young prospects, I'd say the boom is fairly atainable for him.

#9 - Anton Babchuck: Not sure if he's still a prospect by HF standards, but I really like this kid. Top 4 potential.

#10 - Braydon Coburn: Not a lot of skill, but doesn't embarass himself either. Had a stretch for a month or so where he looked all-world, but came down again. Probobly shouldn't have been drafted as high as he was, but he WILL make the NHL, but at what capacity, who knows. Probobly a top 4 man though.

Notable Ommissios: Meszaros, Lynch, Stuart, Koltsov, Whitney, Woywitka - all very good, but not quite good enough to make my list.

Where would you put a guy like Steve Eminger on that list if he still qualified?

O.T.

Mar 9, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
#1. Phaneuf - I watched him live last year in Red Deer a few times, and man he can play! In the Rebels final game against the Tigers in the playoffs, I swear he had to be on the ice for 40+ minutes.

#2. Suter - IMO Suter is definatly the second best defence prospect in the NHL. He can do it all! And he might even have higher potential than Phaneuf if everything pans out.

#3. Barker - I've seen him live one game, when the Tigers kicked the Rebels out of the playoffs and on TV a couple of times. From what I've seen and read, he has very smooth offensive skills. Plus he can play physical defense to boot.

#4. Coburn - I'm not as high on him as most of the experts are, sure he will be a very steady defenceman in the NHL, that's pretty much a lock. But I don't see the top end potential in him like I do in Phaneuf, Suter, or Barker.

#5. Tjutin - Can do a little of everything, for a defenceman his size he is good offensivly and also plays strong defence. Has very good potential but he is not as sure a thing as Coburn. However if he does reach his potential he could be a better defenceman than Coburn.

#6. Stuart - I watched him last year at the WJC for team USA, and he was definatly a very good leader. He plays a very tough physical game, to go along with good outlet passes. He will never be a star offensive defensman, but he reminds me of a Regehr of Foote.

#7. Woywitka - Not the best at one particular skill, but is above average at pretty much everything. His hockey sense is first rate, and he can play physical while also providing offence at the same time.

#8. Valabik - This is the one defence prospect that if he develops to his full potential I could see being regarded with the Phaneufs and Suters, but he is definatly not a sure thing. If he does not develop as planned he may not even be in the NHL. Could go either way.

#9. Babchuk - Babchuk is a solid defender with a howitzer from the point. He can pass, shoot, and play the body. A very solid prospect!

#10.Smid - A big strong defensman that should get even stronger. He is smooth in transition, and plays a solid composed game.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
PigPen said:
I wouldn't leave Kronwall out of the top 10, not because I'm a homer but he's my darkhorse pick for the calder next year. I think he could have a 30 point year and impress a lot of people with his defensive and physical play as well as his superb skating.

agreed...but i dont see him as a #1 defenseman. He could very well round out as a #2 or #3 guy, and i'd be very pleased with that.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Kimahri said:
Wow, there is no Keith Ballard on any of these lists.

What I saw of Ballard, I wouldn't include him. However, he's fairly close to being included, too. He'd be in my 'Honourable mentions' group if I had remembered him for that list ;)

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Captain Conservative said:
Where would you put a guy like Steve Eminger on that list if he still qualified?

Somewhere around the middle of the list or so? Around Colaiacovo and Smid, maybe slightly below Smid but ahead of Coca Cola.

Erik

Jul 28, 2004
Tampa, FL
1.Phaneuf
2.Coburn
3.Suter
4.Barker
5.Whitney
6.Babchuk
7.Woywitka
8.Grebekshov
9.Tjutin
10.Kronwall
11.Stuart
12.Ballard
13.Seabrook

Steve Latin*

PigPen said:
I'd be very disapointed if he put up Backman type numbers. Kronwall has a lot more skill than that.

You're either drastically overrating Kronwall or drastically underrating Backman. Both are very good young players, but neither even have a full season under their belts yet.

S L

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
So it was Phaneuf and Lepisto who were on the allstar team I would assume? I remember watching Lepisto, he was pretty energtic I guess you could say, he went quite late in this years draft. 61st overall wasnt it? I guess his size is a big deal, what do you guys think of Lepisto? As for me being a homer, my latest comment was sorta homer, I havent seen Suter play more than once and the fact that Ive seen Phaneuf be so far ahead of other defenceman in the games Ive seen him in probably did cloud my judgement of suter. I have seen Phaneuf play on about 6 different occasions though including Flames training camp and a couple weeks back twice at the world junior tryouts in calgary so I know what hes capable of to an extent. Also his hit on Olesz isnt the first, he crushed Pouliot in the prospects game 2 years back as well. Hes a huge hitter, lets accept it.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
GuiG said:
1. Ryan Suter, NAS
2. Dion Phaneuf, CAL
3. Cameron Barker, CHI
4. Brandon Coburn, ATL
5. Fedor Tjutin, NYR
6. Ladislav Smid, ANA
7. A.J. Thelen, MIN
8. Denis Grebeshkov, L.A.
9. Boris Valabik, ANA
10. Brent Seabrook, CHI

I would list something like this:
1. Dion Phaneuf, CAL
2. Braydon Coburn, ATL.
3. Ray Whitney, PITT.
4. Anton Babchuck, CHI
5. Denis Grebeshkov, LA
6. Niklas Kronwall, DET.
7. Cam Barker, CHI
8. Steve Eminger, WAS
9. Ryan Suter, NAS
10. Boris Valabik, ATL.

Almost made it:
Stuart, Really solid dman. I was rooting for us to take him where we took Fehr.
Colaiacovo, Solid player
Seabrook, Kid is underrated and with Barker and Babchuck is going to make a heck of a defense.
Smid, More of an offenseman. We'll see if his skills translate to the NA game.
Ballard, Good offenseman, No sense of having exceptional defense ability.
Meszaros, like Ballard, more of an offensive gem. Maybe more resposible than Ballard.
Koltsov, Very underrated.
Woywitka, Solid 3 or 4 for someone.

My bias: I don't care about offensive ability in a top dman. I want someone who is a leader, who punishes opposing forwards on a consistent basis, and who is a good position type player. Thus a player like Valabik rates higher because he has that mean streak. Ballard, Meszaros, and to an extent Suter rate lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad