Top 10 big game players ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
KOVALEV10 said:
I really respect your opinions but how come you dont mention Lafleur? In the last 30 years I haven't seen a forward not named Gretz or Mario who has dominated the way he did from 1974-75 to 1978-79 in the playoffs.
Oversight on my part. Stats aren't everything (they're far from everything) but 48 goals and 106 points in 69 games from 1975-79 is impressive in anyone's book.

Another oversight was Phil Esposito. He had some dynamite playoffs, including a stirling performance in 1979 at age 37, but also for his production and leadership for Team Canada in 1972.

KOVALEV10*

God Bless Canada said:
Oversight on my part. Stats aren't everything (they're far from everything) but 48 goals and 106 points in 69 games from 1975-79 is impressive in anyone's book.

Another oversight was Phil Esposito. He had some dynamite playoffs, including a stirling performance in 1979 at age 37, but also for his production and leadership for Team Canada in 1972.

Yeah and one more guy. Steve Yzerman. His performance in 97 or was it 98 when he played injured was really inspiring.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
I'd take out Patrick Roy to make room for Glenn Anderson. Roy LOST more Game 7's than any goalie in history (7 of them, i believe). Of course, you could argue that he had to be great just to get to that many Game 7's, but he lost more of them than he won in his career.

But that's just nit-picking. All of the people on the original list are great "pressure" players.

Gerry4001

Dec 21, 2005
Toronto
cup2006sensrule said:
I'd have Richard # 1 OT god. Gretzky #2. Gretzky was super clutch in Game 7's and pretty much all the time. Roy # 3 with 2 cups that the Habs really had no business wining. 10 OT wins in a playoff run? Pejorative Slured! I wouldn't have Orr on the list. Somehow the early 70's Bruins who should have been one of the best teams of all time only won 2 cups. As perhaps the greatest player who ever lived Orr should have got a couple of more cups for the Bruins. Lost to the Habs in the playoffs too many times with a great team that often was better than than the Habs teams or at least equal. Lost to a weaker Rangers team. Lost to the Flyers in the final. Although he was the best player in the 1976 Canada Cup I don't think he was as clutch as some of the other stars.

Orr has 2 Stanley Cup winning goals. I think only one other guy has ever done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad