tommy cross
mike hoeffel
maxime tanguay
sergei korostin
mark katic

CapGoodie

Feb 19, 2007
New Scotland
In this draft it's hard to tell where the top tier ends and the second tier begins, there isn't the clear drop off in talent after one group of players the way there usually is - they kind of blend together.

Good year to be picking in the middle rather than the top too - a lot of the potentially most skilled and talented players in the draft won't be taken very high for various question marks. I'm refering to guys like Espo (will he ever make use of his natural talents?) Aliu (will his once a month showing like at the prospects game be the player he's going to become, cause if so he could be one of the 5 best from this year eventually).

Espo won't be around at 15, but Aliu will be. Once a month Aliu puts in a performance few from this draft class could match - then he looks lazy, uninspired, and not to bright upstairs for weeks on end. If I was a team loaded with prospects I'd take a chance on him....there's bust potential there (work ethic/desire/attitude issues) so I wouldn't take him as a team in dire need of that pick to pan-out.

On top of that, after reviews from the 5 Nations u-18 tourny Cheprenov looks to have some serious heart/desire question marks to go along with the Russia/IIHF transfer mess so he's not as attractive as a top 5 anymore either though he won't fall enough for what you're talking about.

As for some hidden gems - there are a trio playing for a god awful team in Erie (Turqato, Palmieri, and Josh Kidd) who are all starting to come out from under the radar. Josh Kidd is real darkhorse as one of the very best d-man likely to come out of this draft IMO - he's like -33 or something but considering he plays 30 minutes a night on a team that's probably -200 on the year his stats are actually flattering. IF he was on a good team I bet he'd be a top 10 pick this year.

Turqato is a dark horse for top end offensive talent, though he is currently involved in a legal mess from an incident from when he was with the Saginaw Spirit.

I can't even pretend to comment on European depth picks. Very few of them are more than names on a list to me at this point.

Ian Cole, a US d-man has been getting a lot of praise lately as well, some recent reviews from the u-18 5 nations really pumped him as steal late in the first/early second. I think it was REd Line's Chief Scout who said a number of teams were probably hoping he'd go unntoiced so they could grab him in the second round but that he's a safe bet to get noticed in the first round now.

At 15 I wouldn't be totally surprised to see Colton Gilles still around either. Safer bet to be something of value, but I don't think you're getting top end talent there. Plus...they can't seem to decide for sure if he's a d-man or a centre out in Saskatoon these days. As a forward with all that speed yet not much offensive hockey sense he reminds me of Rico Fata. Kind of makes me more curious about his recent stint filling in as a d-man for the Blades.

Last edited:

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
petrecki and esposito could drop to #15

other players.

maxim mayorov
jim o'brien
zach hamill
keven veilleux
david perron
oscar moller
mikael backlund
joakim andersson
lars eller
colton gillies
eric doyle
brandon sutter (possibly)
kevin shattenkirk
trevor cann
jeremy smith
tyson sexsmith
joel gistedt
tommy cross
mike hoeffel
maxime tanguay
sergei korostin
mark katic

I can't think of others names except maybe Brett Maclean who will possibly be pick from 15-45. I don't think he'll go lower then 15 but he's playing pretty well...

FuTMaR*

who ever toronto and montreal pick between those picks are TOP prospects.

seadog

Nov 8, 2005
i like david stich for a early second round this kid is a animal.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
i didnt add him because i think he will be gone by the 15th pick.

Ouch really? I was really hoping Petrecki and :eek::eek::eek::eek:i were rated a bit lower. I'd love to grab those kids with our late 1sts. I was hoping they'd fallen further then they have I guess. :(

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Ouch really? I was really hoping Petrecki and :eek::eek::eek::eek:i were rated a bit lower. I'd love to grab those kids with our late 1sts. I was hoping they'd fallen further then they have I guess. :(

you never know. he is not even ranked in the top 30 by tsn, but imo he will continue to move up. and imo someone will pick him at around 12-14. petrecki could drop to around 20, but after that he is gone. but im no expert. its just my opinion, a lot can happen.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
CHL Front Office said:
As for some hidden gems - there are a trio playing for a god awful team in Erie (Turqato, Palmieri, and Josh Kidd) who are all starting to come out from under the radar. Josh Kidd is real darkhorse as one of the very best d-man likely to come out of this draft IMO - he's like -33 or something but considering he plays 30 minutes a night on a team that's probably -200 on the year his stats are actually flattering. IF he was on a good team I bet he'd be a top 10 pick this year.

This kid has great size at 6'5 218lbs. Can he actually skate well? Because he sounds very intriguing.

Zack Torquato would also be an interesting player for a 2nd round pick-up if he drops that low. High risk, high reward type. What are these legal issues he is going through?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think it's a decent possibility that Petrecki is still around at #15. If so I think he could be the best player of the group but I don't think he lasts beyond #20 or so.

It's between Hamill and :eek::eek::eek::eek:i for the best offensive player of the group. A solid playoff could send Hamill into that top 15 group of prospects IMO. I'm kindof surprised he's not there already, he could be a steal in the later parts of the 1st if he lasts that long.

Bam Beet*

petrecki and esposito could drop to #15

other players.

maxim mayorov
jim o'brien
zach hamill
keven veilleux
david perron
oscar moller
mikael backlund
joakim andersson
lars eller
colton gillies
eric doyle
brandon sutter (possibly)
kevin shattenkirk
trevor cann
jeremy smith
tyson sexsmith
joel gistedt
tommy cross
mike hoeffel
maxime tanguay
sergei korostin
mark katic

You can add Billy Sweatt to that list. (though he may go top 15)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad