Status
Not open for further replies.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Top Shelf said:
Whatcha waiting on Alfie - if your so certain the season will be cancelled I'm sure you can catch a flight over to Sweden in the next few days..???

..more rhetoric..

no doubt, who wants to put money on tomorrow someone from the Owners side will come out and say they aren't talking? Seems like every day someone continues to come about and saying they aren't working on anything, yet they feel the need to continue to tell us that??

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
I'd be stunned if the players are dump enough to accept a cap under 64.75%(NFL) of the revenus. IF it's at 56% the cap have to be "soft" like the NBA.

Lanny MacDonald*

Benji Frank said:
In the article it says teams are quietly getting ready for a minicamp....

Just for fun, i did a search of each CDN teams website. The Calgary Flames posted up in their employment opportunites on 01/03/05 for parking lot attendants for the 04/05 season. Seems kind of odd to start looking for people if they know in about 10 days, the season's going to be cancelled.

Don't the Flames manage the arena they play in? Don't the Hitmen also play out of the same arena? How about other events? You still need parking attendants for those events. I wouldn't get so excited because the Flames are advertising for parking attendants.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Benji Frank said:
In the article it says teams are quietly getting ready for a minicamp....

Just for fun, i did a search of each CDN teams website. The Calgary Flames posted up in their employment opportunites on 01/03/05 for parking lot attendants for the 04/05 season. Seems kind of odd to start looking for people if they know in about 10 days, the season's going to be cancelled.

I don't know. This whole lockout thing just seems like it was all pre-planned. Everything seems to happen on or around the same day (14) & there doesn't seem to be any signs of desparation on either sides part even though at stake is a $2 Billion Plus industry..... I guess I'll find out soon enough probably the 14th :D :D, but it really seems like they planned all along to cancel half a season ... the non-profitable half; then they get a contract signed and move on with life... Goodenow and Betman probably had a skeletal deal and timeline worked out a couple of years ago!!!

:lol Nice find. I don't buy any of this either. I think their will be a season this year and the owners and players are putting on a show. By Feb 1st, this forum will be deserted and everyone will be making up crazy 10 team trade rumors.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
chara said:
It has to.

If not, it'll be January 2007. That's when the owners pretty much get a clean slate to start over with less than 100 players under contract. Past mistakes erased.

Didn't they get a calen slate with the 24% rollback?

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
hockeytown9321 said:
Didn't they get a calen slate with the 24% rollback?

Hardly. The 24% offer rewinds time back to 2001 or so. This is *years* past when salaries were already way out of control, and the league was losing money.

Almost every single player will get that 24% back on their *first* new contract after settling. *Especially* when they were making it before. You used to make 5 million. Now you make 3.8. Your contract is up. What do you ask for? You bet your sweet bippy, 5 million.

In fact, I'd bet it would be unofficial PA policy. Everyone must ask for the 24% back, and if they don't get it, they'd all hold out. Five or six guys on each team holding out simultaneously would just devastate a team. They'd have to give in.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
PecaFan said:
Hardly. The 24% offer rewinds time back to 2001 or so. This is *years* past when salaries were already way out of control, and the league was losing money.

Almost every single player will get that 24% back on their *first* new contract after settling. *Especially* when they were making it before. You used to make 5 million. Now you make 3.8. Your contract is up. What do you ask for? You bet your sweet bippy, 5 million.

Then who's fault is it that they get it? Never mind. We'll just go around in circles as always. BUt at some point, they guy running the team has to be accountable.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
PecaFan said:

Because the owner HAS to give that player 5 million, instead of telling him to take a hike.

Please. This excuse has become so lame because hardly any thought is put into it.

SENSible1*

go kim johnsson said:
Because the owner HAS to give that player 5 million, instead of telling him to take a hike.

Please. This excuse has become so lame because hardly any thought is put into it.

I always get a chuckle when PA supporters get mad at owners for taking their advice and using their leverage during this lockout to tell the players collectively to take a hike. The difference is, that this move doesn't disadvantage their clubs quest for a playoff spot.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
HungryforHockey25 said:
Anything Eklund says = Never true.
His information could easily be correct. He talks rumors, not fact. Lots of rumors end up being wrong; doesn't mean they weren't real rumors.

Beauty said:
Agreed. He also has the worst grammar and punctuation of any "journalist" I have ever seen.
No editors on that blog to correct him. ('Course, maybe you're an editor, in which case you would see the raw output of a lot of journalists and could make a good comparison.)

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
hockeytown9321 said:
Then who's fault is it that they get it? Never mind.

It's nobody's fault. Why are people always looking to lay blame? It's just the natural inevitable occurrence under the old system.

The point was, the 24% isn't a clean slate. A clean slate implies a different outcome is a possibility. Anything can happen.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
PecaFan said:
i disagree ... it would roll Iginla's contract back to level of Pavel Bure's in 1994. In 1994 Bure was arguable the top forward in the NHL and in 2005 Iginla is arguable the top skater in the NHL.

dr

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
DR said:
i disagree ... it would roll Iginla's contract back to level of Pavel Bure's in 1994. In 1994 Bure was arguable the top forward in the NHL and in 2005 Iginla is arguable the top skater in the NHL.

So many errors, so little time...

Of course you're aware that Iginla doesn't have a contract, and wouldn't be subject to any rollbacks.

Secondly, even if Iginla was willing to settle for the same as last year ($7.5 million), a 24% drop from that takes him to $5.7 million, not $4.5 million like Pavel in 94/95.

Finally, Pavel was a top four salary in 94/95 at that $4.5 million. Anybody making that much after a rollback won't be anywhere close to top 5.

Brent Burns Beard