Rumor: Tony Granato to be named new coach at Wisconsin

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
John Buccigross tweet

Multiple sources tell me Tony Granato will be the next Head Hockey Coach at Wisconsin. Brother Donny will likely join him on staff.
11:32am - 27 Mar 16

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Effective immediately or will he finish the season here?

I really liked how he worked with Babs last season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ferschweiler coached the PK in Grand Rapids, he should take over Granato's duties next year, and we need to bring in someone new for the PP.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ferschweiler coached the PK in Grand Rapids, he should take over Granato's duties next year, and we need to bring in someone new for the PP.

Harsh to say, but not sure I would move forward with Ferschweiler. While having two experienced guys seems important I fully expect Chelios will be the other assistant. I kind of hope they give Ferschweiler his walking papers and promote Derek Lalonde to an assistant role in Detroit. Would also be big in terms of when Nelson leaves GR.

I just want Lalonde working his way up the organization some way. If Nelson leaves I would probably promote him to AHL boss. But still I think he could help on the bench and get some learning in before taking over the AHL team at some point. Lalonde has done a fantastic job in Toledo, I hope they at least interview him about the opening. His PP unit looked good albeit at a lower level but still, I think he is a pretty bright guy, Toledo were laughing stocks before he took charge of them.

Not sure of the veteran options out there though. Just prefer we go with X and Chelios at this point in my opinion.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Tony G will be finishing out the season with Detroit. It would be the ultimate ironic twist if they replaced him with Mike Eaves, the outgoing coach at Wisconsin (Eaves was a capable assistant with the Penguins).

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
So what other unqualified buddy can Blashill hire to fill this void?

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Good job for Tony. A chance to make his mark at my alma mater. Mike Eaves will probably get an NHL job. Mostly did a good job at UW. I met him several times, a good guy

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Good luck to him restoring a once proud program that has fallen on very hard times. Special for him to get the opportunity at his alma-mater.

I grew up during the Wisconsin powerhouse days. They were a feared team every year. Had some good friendly rivalries going when NMU and Wisconsin were both contending for championships.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad