Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He has 32 points on the worst team in NHL history. He is right where he was every year with us. He will get his 50 points on a awful team. I don’t see the drop off. Please remember with the 50-55 points he was never a minus player as a Ranger. These guys don’t grow on trees.

They're not even close to the worst team in NHL history.

He's not a lock to get to 50 points and his actual game has taken a hit. Rangers got out from under Stepan's contract at the right time.

Flying Puck

Oct 16, 2017
They're not even close to the worst team in NHL history.

He's not a lock to get to 50 points and his actual game has taken a hit. Rangers got out from under Stepan's contract at the right time.
The worst team in the NHL was last years Avs with 48 points. The coyotes have 33 right now with 28 to go. It’s pretty simple math bud. They could easily not get to 48 points. I sure wish we had his 55 point and his plus 20-25 this year.

Reactions: All Might

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The worst team in the NHL was last years Avs with 48 points. The coyotes have 33 right now with 28 to go. It’s pretty simple math bud. They could easily not get to 48 points. I sure wish we had his 55 point sand his plus 20-25 this year.

You said NHL history, not the last 2 years lol.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that they pick up 15 points in their last 28 games either. They suck, but those results are inline with a team that sucks. Keeping Stepan would have only prolonged the issue here. This team should have started to do what they did last summer a year earlier after they got bounced by Pittsburgh.

trilobyte

NYR Fan In the Foothills
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Like most defenseman at that age, DeAngelo is a work in progress. Not just focussing on Tony here but I want to think that Rangers coaches can work with defensemen on techniques in defending. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing some attacker go by uncontested because the defenseman didn't try to hit him, lay a bodycheck. That is still a foundation of hockey.
We will see. I like the skills DeAngelo has and I want to see him work to be better.

Reactions: Off Sides

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
The stupid can be coached out of DeAngelo. He's got the raw skills you want to have a chance to mold. Same goes with Skjei even with his vulture-picked-on carcass of a year.

Reactions: Off Sides

Anttiup32

Jan 29, 2018
The stupid can be coached out of DeAngelo. He's got the raw skills you want to have a chance to mold. Same goes with Skjei even with his vulture-picked-on carcass of a year.
Also think coaching staff is asking DeAngelo to become more 2 way...big step for a kid his age

Reactions: will1066

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
On this team, and on most, he's an NHL defenseman. Maybe not on a team like Nashville, but that's the exception, not the rule

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You honestly think Deangelo is a NHL defenseman???
I do. Young defensemen, particularly those that are offensively inclined, make mistakes. He's also playing in a system where ALL of our defensemen, even veteran stars like McDonagh, are regularly making terrible coverage mistakes.

Get me a real coach with a real defensive system and let's see what he can do.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Well he’s not!
He most certainly is. He had a couple of glaring mistakes last night. Granted. He’s been really noticeable and pretty good since his recent call up. He’s playing with a train wreck partner. If you’re going to have this opinion of him what about our captain. He’s had even more glaring mistakes. Kids 21 years old. Chill out

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
Everyone saying ADA isn’t a NHL defensemen also wants us to trade for Sergachev. The hypocrisy regarding young NHL defensemen is shocking. They make mistakes. Give him time

Reactions: NewYorkNick

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Based on what I've watched and looking at some of his stats, I think DeAngelo is probably an NHL defenseman, but not a very good one. I'd keep running him out there, its not like we need to win or the other defensemen are any better.

He's pretty good offensively, although not great offensively. We've gotten a decent enough sample of his offense at the NHL level. He's played 55 games, and with about average #6D minutes, so while we'd like more data, we have enough. He's put up what equates to about 25 points over 82 games with 6D minutes, which is reasonably good for the role you'd expect him to play. He's probably capable of a little better in that role as he improves, maybe like 30 points in that role, but his P/60 over the two seasons in all situations is around mid 50's out of about 180, so he's pretty decent at scoring points, which is his calling card.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, the defense is just not very good. Its passable on a bottom pair with sheltered minutes, its not like ECHL level, but I don't see much upside there to be more than bottom third in defending among NHL defensemen. He's small, weak, bad in board battles, bad in front of his net and makes some very risky decisions defensively. He takes away a lot of his offensive contributions by not being very good defensively. Shatty does the same thing, but he's elite offensively. DeAngelo is not elite offensively. I guess he could become elite offensively, the raw offensive skills are there. He's not shown elite offensive play yet though, although he has shown pretty good offensive play, so maybe with another few years, he could get there.

If he doesn't show elite offensive play eventually, I see his role as a #6D, maybe a #5D, who plays the PP, gets sheltered minutes, puts up points, but defends poorly. Thats a useful player and he's still young so some minor improvements should be expected and he has talent to make major improvements. He's also on an ELC, so that works in his favor as well, but I'm not really expecting that much more than that from DeAngelo than what we are seeing right now. I don't think he's going to become Karlsson just because he's young and flashy.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Based on what I've watched and looking at some of his stats, I think DeAngelo is probably an NHL defenseman, but not a very good one. I'd keep running him out there, its not like we need to win or the other defensemen are any better.

He's pretty good offensively, although not great offensively. We've gotten a decent enough sample of his offense at the NHL level. He's played 55 games, and with about average #6D minutes, so while we'd like more data, we have enough. He's put up what equates to about 25 points over 82 games with 6D minutes, which is reasonably good for the role you'd expect him to play. He's probably capable of a little better in that role as he improves, maybe like 30 points in that role, but his P/60 over the two seasons in all situations is around mid 50's out of about 180, so he's pretty decent at scoring points, which is his calling card.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, the defense is just not very good. Its passable on a bottom pair with sheltered minutes, its not like ECHL level, but I don't see much upside there to be more than bottom third in defending among NHL defensemen. He's small, weak, bad in board battles, bad in front of his net and makes some very risky decisions defensively. He takes away a lot of his offensive contributions by not being very good defensively. Shatty does the same thing, but he's elite offensively. DeAngelo is not elite offensively. I guess he could become elite offensively, the raw offensive skills are there. He's not shown elite offensive play yet though, although he has shown pretty good offensive play, so maybe with another few years, he could get there.

If he doesn't show elite offensive play eventually, I see his role as a #6D, maybe a #5D, who plays the PP, gets sheltered minutes, puts up points, but defends poorly. Thats a useful player and he's still young so some minor improvements should be expected and he has talent to make major improvements. He's also on an ELC, so that works in his favor as well, but I'm not really expecting that much more than that from DeAngelo than what we are seeing right now. I don't think he's going to become Karlsson just because he's young and flashy.

Shattenkirk is really a 2D, so the team is still without a 1RD. Don't know if the team still believes that he can be a 1D. So we're looking at TDA as a 3RD.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017

Give McD’s first power play minutes to ADA for an entire season and I guarantee he puts up 50+ points as a dman

Reactions: Anttiup32

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->