Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
We keep flipping between whether face off matter or zone starts matter.

I disagree that Zone starts don't matter.

Nearly immediate shots after a face off win or zone exists right after a lose probably don't occur.

There are 31 different teams in this league, big difference between west and east, big difference between coaches and so forth.

When we discuss this team — it’s ridiculous to claim that usage don’t matter. AV most of the time has a D pairing he gives really sweat shifts, taking into account the opponents, zone start and where the game is in terms of momentum.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
There are 31 different teams in this league, big difference between west and east, big difference between coaches and so forth.

When we discuss this team — it’s ridiculous to claim that usage don’t matter. AV most of the time has a D pairing he gives really sweat shifts, taking into account the opponents, zone start and where the game is in terms of momentum.

Again I'm talking on average. I sincerely doubt zone starts don't matter on average.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I mean it's always easier to keep the puck in on your dominant side, but you shoot worse and pass worse unless you have a strong corner player, which the Rangers don't.

It affects you in many parts of the game. You have all board play. You need to turn the back towards the ice and work the puck with your backhand in every battle along he board from the attacking blue line to your end wall.

But the big problem is defensively. In your own end. Imagine that you are Smith and play a shooter like AO. You are cutting off that shooting lane with one hand on the stick and your backhand. The NHL game is so fast and the marginals are so small. You will just bat at a much lower percentage in all those very important plays.

Then you have he whole situation where you fetch pucks in your own end. For many coaches it’s a big item to point out which Ds if any on the other team that plays the wrong side. Ship it in on them. They turn the back towards the ice, and play the puck with their back hand.

31 teams, 186 Ds in action at any given time. ONE, I repeat ONE of them thrives on the wrong side if you look at it with any kind of longer time frame. Hjalmarsson. It’s Chicago that plays a certain why and was very very synched with the rest of the team and did a great job. In PHX, he has had the same issues.

Go back 15 years and you could talk about pros and cons because the game was just slower. But it had still started. Have to go back 25 years almost before it was really up in the air...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Again I'm talking on average. I sincerely doubt zone starts don't matter on average.

It matters on average but not that much. My point was just, the impact on individual examples can be a heck of a lot bigger than the average impact in the league. The twitter kids like to claim that the impact isn’t big at all, like 14% impact (ie not corsi percentage points).

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
It affects you in many parts of the game. You have all board play. You need to turn the back towards the ice and work the puck with your backhand in every battle along he board from the attacking blue line to your end wall.

But the big problem is defensively. In your own end. Imagine that you are Smith and play a shooter like AO. You are cutting off that shooting lane with one hand on the stick and your backhand. The NHL game is so fast and the marginals are so small. You will just bat at a much lower percentage in all those very important plays.

Then you have he whole situation where you fetch pucks in your own end. For many coaches it’s a big item to point out which Ds if any on the other team that plays the wrong side. Ship it in on them. They turn the back towards the ice, and play the puck with their back hand.

31 teams, 186 Ds in action at any given time. ONE, I repeat ONE of them thrives on the wrong side if you look at it with any kind of longer time frame. Hjalmarsson. It’s Chicago that plays a certain why and was very very synched with the rest of the team and did a great job. In PHX, he has had the same issues.

Go back 15 years and you could talk about pros and cons because the game was just slower. But it had still started. Have to go back 25 years almost before it was really up in the air...

I mean human anatomy has been fairly consistent since the glaciers receded.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
It matters on average but not that much. My point was just, the impact on individual examples can be a heck of a lot bigger than the average impact in the league. The twitter kids like to claim that the impact isn’t big at all, like 14% impact (ie not corsi percentage points).

Just because it doesn't show up in CF , doesn't mean it doesn't matter.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
No idea why or how DeAngelo isn’t on Powerplay 1. It’s literally the perfect spot for him. He’s tailor made to run a PP and does well with PP2 but putting Buch or Zibanejad on his unit would do wonders.

Propping up McDonagh's trade value

Reactions: Rangers in 7

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
He has a certain sneaky cheapness to his game. If he sticks in the NHL, he will be one of those guys that you see getting fed knuckle sandwiches like he's in a contest.

Reactions: Anttiup32

Anttiup32

Jan 29, 2018
Honestly....Ada has been one of the few guys I'm enjoying watching out there. Is he flawless and a sure fire number 1? No. But man...there are some flashes of brilliance in his game.
Agreed, there’s surely flashes where he looks like the best player on the ice. But of course times where he struggles or makes a mistake. I think he can be a top 4 defenseman but he needs ice-time this last 2+ months of the season

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
He looks like he can be a real high end 2nd pair defenseman with top pair upside.

Him and shatty on the right side is really nice for our future. Skjei on the left...if he can ever become a defenseman again instead of a 4th forward..and you've got 3 anchor points on your d.

Dream scenario...win the lottery and draft dahlin.

Next year...
Dahlin shattenkirk
Skjei deangelo
Graves pionk

New coach who teaches them how 5o actually play defense.

Man I wish Hitchcock was still available.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think ADA definitely has second pairing upside.

I think the focus in Hartford has been on other elements such as timing, reading, positioning, etc. It’s why I haven’t been terribly concerned about a lack of eye-popping numbers.

With that said, NOW is a great time to give him a nice, long look. Put him in a position to show what he’s got, but be careful not to throw everything at him all at once.

I’d pair him with McD and Skjei and take it from there.

Gravey22

Nov 19, 2017
Heard to imagine Mark Stall is not done given the poor guy's history. Have to start thinking about his career ending. How much more can this dude take before he puts himself in serious jeopardy!!
Would love to see Graves get a kick at the can. Why the hell not?

Jeff please hang out the For Sale Sign before nothing is left to Sell!

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
I think ADA definitely has second pairing upside.

I think the focus in Hartford has been on other elements such as timing, reading, positioning, etc. It’s why I haven’t been terribly concerned about a lack of eye-popping numbers.

With that said, NOW is a great time to give him a nice, long look. Put him in a position to show what he’s got, but be careful not to throw everything at him all at once.

I’d pair him with McD and Skjei and take it from there.
Agreed. Him and Lias Andersson for Stephan. I’d do it EVERY time.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
He looks like he can be a real high end 2nd pair defenseman with top pair upside.

Him and shatty on the right side is really nice for our future. Skjei on the left...if he can ever become a defenseman again instead of a 4th forward..and you've got 3 anchor points on your d.

Dream scenario...win the lottery and draft dahlin.

Next year...
Dahlin shattenkirk
Skjei deangelo
Graves pionk

New coach who teaches them how 5o actually play defense.

Man I wish Hitchcock was still available.

Normally I would cringe at the idea of 3 rookies and two other REALLY young players making up a D unit. But the more players we can get in there who haven't spent years in AV's stupid system, the better off we'll be.

Reactions: Inferno

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->