Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Did MDZ really have strength issues when he came into the league? Dude was and still is very solid on his skates; I remember him nailing some people his rookie year. Most of his offense was generated by his stretch pass, as he was a subpar skater (only describing NYR MDZ here) - vastly different than ADA. He also played a few seasons when he was legitimately a good defender, 2011-2012 being the most notable.

I guess my main point was it just seems like a lazy comparison. It’s also not fair, because despite having a nice career thus far, MDZ is maligned because of his inconsistency and pretty boy look.

My take on DeAngelo is he's a lot tougher dude than MDZ. Like Del Zotto he can be outmuscled by bigger stronger players though. The important thing for smaller defensemen sometimes is positioning but one reason there's usually a bigger D paired with a smaller D is so that your team doesn't get overpowered in plays to the net.

But watching DeAngelo this year fight this Bridgeport guy in the AHL--that might have been the best fight I've seen from any Rangers player or prospect the entire year. Calm and like he knew what he was doing and what he wanted to do. Watching him not back off Wayne Simmonds. So I think Tony has a lot of moxie that MDZ doesn't really.

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
How good would you be playing with Ogara and the like.....shoot how good would Drew Doughty be playing with the partner ADa has?
TDA looked much better when he was paired with Skjei. As did Skjei. Mistakes, yeah but mobility is there. Or was there. Hope leg is OK.

Reactions: belford222

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Unfortunately, ADA's long-term success is tied to production more than it is for some of our other young players. That's a bi-product of both ADA's size, his strength and his defensive abilities.

I think ADA still has second pairing upside, but I really need to see him in a different system than AV's.

ADA under the current setup is a no-win for all involved.

I think he needs to find a way to translate some of his offensive skills into points, but I dunno I don't really see quite all the defensive issues that people seem to think he has. At least, he doesn't seem to show that many more deficiencies than any other defenseman playing in this system. He tries and if he's not perfect he seems at least adequate. Other people may have different opinions I guess.

That said he can really transport the puck up the ice and that's a lot more valuable than many people (including coaches) are willing to admit even if it does not turn into points all the time. He's easily the Rangers best defenseman at that.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think he needs to find a way to translate some of his offensive skills into points, but I dunno I don't really see quite all the defensive issues that people seem to think he has. At least, he doesn't seem to show that many more deficiencies than any other defenseman playing in this system. He tries and if he's not perfect he seems at least adequate. Other people may have different opinions I guess.

That said he can really transport the puck up the ice and that's a lot more valuable than many people (including coaches) are willing to admit even if it does not turn into points all the time. He's easily the Rangers best defenseman at that.

Do you mean he doesn't show more deficiencies compared to other current defensemen? If so this is really not a good standard going forward. I think this is a point - either his offensive or defensive game has to improve by a lot to retain his spot coming out of rebuild.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Do you mean he doesn't show more deficiencies compared to other current defensemen? If so this is really not a good standard going forward. I think this is a point - either his offensive or defensive game has to improve by a lot to retain his spot coming out of rebuild.

I think my point is that evaluating his defensive game is difficult right now because everyone looks pretty bad in this system.

But as I said yeah he needs to find a way to put some more points on the board even if he's doing the right things offensively.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I might put together a highlight compilation of DeAngelo's season, to show some of the incredible plays he's made that didn't result in goals. If he were playing on a good team a lot of them would've ended up in the back of the net. 53.7 CF%, 9.1 CF rel consistently playing with the worst partners such as 38.4 CF% Ogara
O'Gara should be bagging groceries.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
ADA has work to do. I really think the talent is there for him to be a top 4. He is at the very least trying to play active D but seems to make some poor reads. He has great puck and skating skills. I am really rooting for continued development as there have been parts of games where he looked really good but it is concerning that overall his game has not translated into either more offense for or less against. I'd really love for that to be all bad luck and stuff he will grow out of.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
ADA has work to do. I really think the talent is there for him to be a top 4. He is at the very least trying to play active D but seems to make some poor reads. He has great puck and skating skills. I am really rooting for continued development as there have been parts of games where he looked really good but it is concerning that overall his game has not translated into either more offense for or less against. I'd really love for that to be all bad luck and stuff he will grow out of.
I think it’s a lot of poor luck as far the way I see it. He’s been very good at shooting for rebounds but we haven’t been good at putting the rebounds in. I think our forward group is so weak right now you have to think half of his shifts he’s with the AHL guys in front so the number of chances goes down...

I also notice the PP moves the puck much better with him in the lineup. I don’t know if it’s all due to him or the confidence that the guy at the top will be able to make and receive passes

Reactions: belford222

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

The issue reminds me somewhat of what JTM had to address early in his career and what still continues to be a knock on him even now. ADA is a confident kid that thinks he can make any play he sees at any time. He needs to learn the percentages where attempts to execute a high risk play for a big reward is not always warranted. To compare him to Pionk at this point in their careers - ADA has a more impressive skill set in terms of vision, skating, passing but Pionk is better at assessing a situation and choosing the best play in the context of a situation.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
The issue reminds me somewhat of what JTM had to address early in his career and what still continues to be a knock on him even now. ADA is a confident kid that thinks he can make any play he sees at any time. He needs to learn the percentages where attempts to execute a high risk play for a big reward is not always warranted. To compare him to Pionk at this point in their careers - ADA has a more impressive skill set in terms of vision, skating, passing but Pionk is better at assessing a situation and choosing the best play in the context of a situation.
I wouldn’t say that. I’d say Pionk is just much more conservative, pionk has a little dan Girardi when it doubt bang it out off the boards(that why he’s gotten his fair share of icings). ADA is looking to make a pass or skate it out and sometimes the pass isn’t there or the lane closes before the puck gets through so it’s a turnover.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
ADA is a gambler.

he's got great skills and he's not afraid to use them. he makes bad plays and decisions that all young players make. he does engage and can play it physical. his issues are with his decision making more than his ability. his upside is that of an offensive dman who can make plays like a forward and handle the puck with aplomb. you take the good with the bad with him and make sure he's got a defensively responsible partner. let him play. let him create.

i have zero issues with this kid. zero.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
ADA is a gambler.

he's got great skills and he's not afraid to use them. he makes bad plays and decisions that all young players make. he does engage and can play it physical. his issues are with his decision making more than his ability. his upside is that of an offensive dman who can make plays like a forward and handle the puck with aplomb. you take the good with the bad with him and make sure he's got a defensively responsible partner. let him play. let him create.

I have zero issues with this kid. zero.
I'm rooting for Tony for sure but if you have a Dman that is a offensive gambler he is going to have to produce a lot more points than Tony has thus far.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Count me in the group that likes him, a lot. He seems like a guy who wants to make a difference and his skills should translate. I also don't see these egregious defensive deficiencies people are complaining about. He handles the puck better than practically any Ranger defenseman this organization has had in many years. Will he make mistakes? Of course, he has the puck on his stick a lot because he is trying to make a good play, not just throw it off the boards. I also love that he is willing to physically engage with forwards. That's something the defense hasn't done in a while (really since Sauer)

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
DeAngelo still need to improve for me concerning his offensive skills even though he had some great outlet passes earlier this season, but I`m not in a hurry - he should be kept at least next season training camp and see how he develops in NHL next season, which will be a difficult season for us.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
He’s got that swagger in his game. Plays with a chip on his shoulder. I like that. I wish we had more of that on our team.

A young offensive dmen is going to make a lot of mistakes as they develop. Be patient. Accept the inevitable. He needs to go through those growing pains. It’ll be worth it in the end. Hopefully...

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
OK... if he had a different name and wasn't from the NY-area, would he be getting such a pass here? He's had eight or nine assists... in 30 games... you guys are fine with a guy who skates around well, defense isn't his thing but... 0-9-30? But John Moore wasn't good enough.

And look, it's not like he's a 20-year-old rookie. He was not way under .5PPG a year ago... on the Coyotes... AV's defensive system could be totally different--it's still hockey.

Not advocating to dislike the kid, but I think concern about the players is warranted at this rate.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
OK... if he had a different name and wasn't from the NY-area, would he be getting such a pass here? He's had eight or nine assists... in 30 games... you guys are fine with a guy who skates around well, defense isn't his thing but... 0-9-30? But John Moore wasn't good enough.

And look, it's not like he's a 20-year-old rookie. He was not way under .5PPG a year ago... on the Coyotes... AV's defensive system could be totally different--it's still hockey.

Not advocating to dislike the kid, but I think concern about the players is warranted at this rate.

I don't think anyone cares about his name or what area he's from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad