News Article: Tomas Plekanec wants back in....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Sounds quite disrespectful to be honest, are you Bergevin?
1) I'm surprised that you would say something negative about MB.
2) How is it disrespectful? Mike Keane did it for the Canucks for years... Laval isn't far from Montreal, he gets to play a 1000 games with us and he gets money and stability. That deal would be one-way. It would prepare him for a coaching role later on if he wants to.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
1) I'm surprised that you would say something negative about MB.
2) How is it disrespectful? Mike Keane did it for the Canucks for years... Laval isn't far from Montreal, he gets to play a 1000 games with us and he gets money and stability. That deal would be one-way. It would prepare him for a coaching role later on if he wants to.

I was clearly sarcastic don't get your hopes too high.

I just find it funny, would such an offer would be considered decent for a guy like Markov?

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I was clearly sarcastic don't get your hopes too high.

I just find it funny, would such an offer would be considered decent for a guy like Markov?
Depends on your assessment of Plekanec vs Markov, I find Markov had a lot more to give and was a bigger need for us than Plekanec currently is, as bad as our centers may be. Hence with that logic I would have been more likely to sign Markov @ 1 year 6-7M.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Depends on your assessment of Plekanec vs Markov, I find Markov had a lot more to give and was a bigger need for us than Plekanec currently is, as bad as our centers may be.
And what about the whole respect thing? Veteran, 1000 game, true hab? Plekanec seems like a reject around this fan base and it's really deplorable...

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
And what about the whole respect thing? Veteran, 1000 game, true hab? Plekanec seems like a reject around this fan base and it's really deplorable...
Even if in your eyes getting sent to the AHL is super disrespectful, it's a still a ton more respect than what Markov got. Especially when you take into consideration how MB took so many precautions when he traded Plek to assure that #14 was happy and satisfied. Markov never got such treatment.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Even if in your eyes getting sent to the AHL is super disrespectful, it's a still a ton more respect than what Markov got. Especially when you take into consideration how MB took so many precautions when he traded Plek to assure that #14 was happy and satisfied. Markov never got such treatment.

How is it more respect than Markov when the guy clearly was not budging from the 6-7 million he wanted? Don't get it. The habs gave him a great deal when his deal was up, after 2 years of consecutive knee injuries. I mean, they respected him a whole hell of alot his entire career.

Don't get me wrong (inevtiable here) I wanted Markov back but he was clearly not sent packing without an offer from Bergevin.

Reactions: Belial

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Wuuut!

Bergevin had a solid offer on the table for Markov! And it was not some AHL crap at 1M$ ! Geez...

How some of you can be so biased? I seriously don't get it!

Screw Bergevin!

This is just pure logic at this point, you keep twisting everything just to make the GM look like a donkey and it's horrible... There's no discussion around here.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
Maybe the idea is to have plekanec here to help with Zadina because they’re both Czechs? :dunno:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Maybe the idea is to have plekanec here to help with Zadina because they’re both Czechs? :dunno:
Probably more like to help Drouin and Galchenyuk to not get too exposed.... But they still were exposed even if Plekanec took away the majority of tough match ups and that's really concerning.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Time to move on from Pleky.........great in his day, but there are a couple of guys to take his spot, for 1-2M

But it's Bergevin we are talking about here.............nothing would surprise me...........

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Probably more like to help Drouin and Galchenyuk to not get too exposed.... But they still were exposed even if Plekanec took away the majority of tough match ups and that's really concerning.
They weren't any more or less exposed before or after he was traded.

Reactions: Pickles and Peanut

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If he signed dirt cheap and played on the bottom six only, I wouldn't mind. Alas, if he signs, you know they will find an excuse to move him into a top six role when he simply isn't capable of it anymore.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Pleks made me a fan in his short time here once he was put in a role that gave him something to do.

If the contract makes sense, let the man retire back home. Hes still a decent 3rd line center

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Pleks made me a fan in his short time here once he was put in a role that gave him something to do.

If the contract makes sense, let the man retire back home. Hes still a decent 3rd line center
We'd have a pile of 3rd line Cs is the problem and he doesn't want to play on the 4th and we have nobody who can play 1-2

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
Plekanec was a great soldier for the organization, i could see the temptation when they are so weak at center...but they really needed markov much more this past season and let him walk.

Time to cut the cord on Pleky

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
why not?....because he is taking up a center position that should be used to develop a prospect, thats why not

Which center prospect would be held back? As far as I can tell, we don’t have any center prospects that don’t need seasoning time in the AHL or other leagues.

I don’t care if Pleks come back or not, just to be clear.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Plekanec wants to get 1000 games in a hab jersey but the problem lies with with the mans ego, look how he played in Toronto because he was asked to be on the 4th line. He was completely different once Babcock elevated him in the lineup and that is not just a guy wanting to be a team player. He will come back and assume the same role he had last year, if Bergevin is successful in acquiring a center we will see Drouin move to the wing and our centers will look like this:

(Not Tavares)
Plekanec
Danault
DLR

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
All loyalty and past performance aside, the question should be, does Plex make us better if he’s on the team.

I think as far as 4th line centers in the NHL, there aren’t many better than he is. So from a completely unemotional standpoint, I’d take him back as a 4th line center and paid as such.

I would hope we can get a center or two in the offseason so that we wouldn’t have to worry ability him playing up the lineup unless of emergency injury spot duty. Otherwise I think Danault, DLR are full time centers with another one coming in and possibly Drouin again. No space in the two for Plex anymore.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
I'm fine with bringing him back for another year. Another lottery pick next year should ameliorate the center depth issue substantially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad