Confirmed with Link: Tomas Plekanec (50% Retained) + Kyle Baun to Maple Leafs for 2018 2nd Rd Pick, Rychel, Valiev

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
You guys roasted us on this trade.

Well he's still a good 4th liner center ... i guess. But i would rather have DLR as our 4th line center than him. Like yeah i'm not kidding DLR is now a better player.

BTW Gallagher scored 30 goals playing most of the year with Plekanec lol

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
This guy was our most played center for a while now. I understand that the Leafs were trying to get deep, but when you compare it to a trade like what we gave up for Torrey Mitchel for a similar role, it looks bad for the Leafs.

Reactions: Tighthead

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013

You know, It's hard for me to roast Plekanecs, a lifelong Hab until this point, a respectable career until he put on the blue.

It's easy for me to roast the Leafs.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
It's hard for me living in Leaf nation, seeing those flags flying everywhere while I drink my coffee, all the signs at the pubs, the jersey's everywhere, people calling in sick to work on playoff nights..

Leafs Fever is real thank god it usually runs it's course in four games.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
It's hard for me living in Leaf nation, seeing those flags flying everywhere while I drink my coffee, all the signs at the pubs, the jersey's everywhere, people calling in sick to work on playoff nights..

Leafs Fever is real thank god it usually runs it's course in four games.

I feel like playoff fever is especially high this year in every city that's in the playoffs. Watching highlights of the games in Pittsburgh, Boston, Washington, Tampa, Nashville, Vegas, Winnipeg, and (not sure about Anaheim, they haven't had much to cheer about). The game has become more about skill and it captivates a larger audience.

I predict it will be a special playoff year.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
He wasn't even this bad defensively when he was here despite being utterly useless at everything else.

He's been so bad that I don't even want to throw him a cheap contract so he can play 1000 games here.

Reactions: weems

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
Plekanec is not the player he once was for sure but he was never this bad in Montreal.I think he left his heart there and never wanted to be traded,especially to one of the main enemies.His heart isn't really in it anymore and it's easy to notice.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Plekanec is not the player he once was for sure but he was never this bad in Montreal.I think he left his heart there and never wanted to be traded,especially to one of the main enemies.His heart isn't really in it anymore and it's easy to notice.

He was horrendous for us. Can't stand Julien for using him as much as he did. When he was traded, it was addition by subtraction.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Still don't understand why the Leafs bothered getting Plekanec when they have Ron Hainsey on their first pair on D and Roman Polak as a regular in their top 6 D.

Dominic Moore is fine as a 4th line C who can kill penalties, the 2nd rounder would've been better used on a D.

Reactions: Tighthead and 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The last 2.5yrs, he sure was

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Still don't understand why the Leafs bothered getting Plekanec when they have Ron Hainsey on their first pair on D and Roman Polak as a regular in their top 6 D.

Dominic Moore is fine as a 4th line C who can kill penalties, the 2nd rounder would've been better used on a D.

Heck, I would have been kind enough to offer Jordie Benn for that second rounder.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Well we already did that.
A losing season here or there isn't the end of the world, but we are talking about 3 losing season out of 4 if we plan on tanking next year. If you don't want to ruin the rookies, it's important to have vets mixed in to keep them level headed and not beat themselves up too bad.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Rushing rookies to play on a loser team? Not if you care about development, you need some vets mixed in there too...
The Habs aren't lacking in low-event veterans...they could ice a full team of those.

There's nothing to gain to re-sign Plekanec other than sentimental reasons.

The Habs have more than enough forwards to play 4th line center.

I guarantee if Plekanec is re-signed, he'll occupy the same role he did all year.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

And it reflects on our coaching staffs incompetence to have played him as much.

If anyones holding out hope for next year, don't. The GM is clueless and the coach plays borderline NHLers over 16 minutes a game over actual talent.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
A losing season here or there isn't the end of the world, but we are talking about 3 losing season out of 4 if we plan on tanking next year. If you don't want to ruin the rookies, it's important to have vets mixed in to keep them level headed and not beat themselves up too bad.
If Plekanec was still an effective player, i'd agree...but he's not.

And the league is trending towards teams using more and more young players.

He's finished.

Reactions: Andrei79

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Again, I'm talking about if we are tanking
Tanking or not...there's no benefit to the team.

Even as a 4th line center, why wouldn't we want to develop a younger player in that position?

DLR is perfectly capable of handling that job...Froese/Shaw/McCarron could also play that role.

Hell we could re-sign Torrey Mitchell again and he'd provide better value.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I highly doubt that will be the case, we have a GM who's going to be in desperation mode and will do anything to get to the playoffs. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he brought him back thinking he's still useful to a team.
The only conclusion ANY person should reach watching Plekanec away from Montreal the last few weeks is;

How the hell have the Montreal Canadiens used this guy as a top 6C the last few years????

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
All I know is if the Leafs win the cup, then Bergevin will give Pleks 5 mill/year to come back since he is a cup winning centre.
We really can't afford a Leafs cup.
Leafs are not winning cup. They may not win game.

Boston has everything they have....plus more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad