Tomas Hertl

Teasdale

Dec 29, 2011
If he gets a feel for passing/using his teammates more he could take it to the next level. He’ll never be a speed demon but he rotates to the net with the best of them.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The only criticism for Hertl is that he lets the extracurriculars get to him too easily.

He didn’t used to either. I think he kind of realized he is slightly bigger and stronger than most players and decided he can push them around, and likes doing it, but he needs to cut out the bad penalties ASAP.

Reactions: Phu

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
He looks phenomenal this postseason. Shades of early post lockout Thornton puck protection sans passing ability. Maybe a little Ryan Clowe board work in his best seasons. A bright spot in a lowlight game...

Sans passing ability, but with better hands and 1000x more willingness to drive and take the puck to the net.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
We may have blown this series in games 3 and tonight, but given that it was a season of transition, I would still be pretty happy. That was mostly fueled by the development of Meier, Labanc, Tierney and Ryan and by the fact that the team showed they can still be competitive without Patty and even Jumbo. Hertl’s coming out party (called the Stanleycup Playoffs) is the cherry on that cake. Hope he will carry that over with a full summer of training and be the same monster in next years regular season.

Reactions: mooncalf

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
He needs to be more consistent as well. If he plays like this all the time you can label him a legit 1C. Hope he keeps it up

SharksFan17

Apr 17, 2017
He didn’t used to either. I think he kind of realized he is slightly bigger and stronger than most players and decided he can push them around, and likes doing it, but he needs to cut out the bad penalties ASAP.
At least playing with an edge keeps him from being an easy target for cheap shots like he was in his younger days. Players are on notice that they will get as good as they give against him now.

Reactions: one2gamble and Phu

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
That 'penalty' in the 2nd was a direct result of the Vegas golden children bitching and moaning for calls. Miller ran into Hertl and held him, yet he gets called for interference.

NorthernShark

Apr 26, 2018
That 'penalty' in the 2nd was a direct result of the Vegas golden children *****ing and moaning for calls. Miller ran into Hertl and held him, yet he gets called for interference.
Horrible call, I agree. And of course Vegas scores on the same PP.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
At least playing with an edge keeps him from being an easy target for cheap shots like he was in his younger days. Players are on notice that they will get as good as they give against him now.

Yes but he's now going to develop a reputation of someone whose skin you can get under.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
He gets so many dangerous chances, wish he would convert at a higher rate but he's still shooting 12% this year.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yes but he's now going to develop a reputation of someone whose skin you can get under.

I honestly wouldn't do that. Like Meier, Hertl has that extra gear when he's angry. Then you just know that he's gonna score as soon as he's on the ice. I think it was in game 3 when he was losing his mind and only moments later tied the game late with a power move. If I remember right he was also pissed before scoring the gamewinner against Anaheim in game 4.
Meier and Hertl can be very dangerous when you try to piss them off. They may take a dumb penalty here and then but they can absolutely dominate the play if you upset them. I don't think anybody else on the Shark has that ability to just go out and score no matter what. Maybe Burns or Thornton. When Jumbo is at his best, he's also not somebody I'd mess with. He'll make you pay one way or another.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I honestly wouldn't do that. Like Meier, Hertl has that extra gear when he's angry. Then you just know that he's gonna score as soon as he's on the ice. I think it was in game 3 when he was losing his mind and only moments later tied the game late with a power move. If I remember right he was also pissed before scoring the gamewinner against Anaheim in game 4.
Meier and Hertl can be very dangerous when you try to piss them off. They may take a dumb penalty here and then but they can absolutely dominate the play if you upset them. I don't think anybody else on the Shark has that ability to just go out and score no matter what. Maybe Burns or Thornton. When Jumbo is at his best, he's also not somebody I'd mess with. He'll make you pay one way or another.

Maybe but he also will take stupid penalties that cost the team in that state. It's not all good things for Hertl when he's been pissed off.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
To be fair, did he ever take these types of stupid penalties against a team that wasn’t Vegas?

Not too many. Meier takes more stupid ones than Hertl (but sometimes he doesn't even need to be pissed to switch on the beast mode.)
Hertl is clearly better when angry.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
To be fair, did he ever take these types of stupid penalties against a team that wasn’t Vegas?

I don't think people were taking notice of Hertl really before now and reputations are generally developed in the playoffs. It won't be something that matters during regular seasons but you can bet that a lot of rival coaches saw that Neal thing and think they can attack that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad