Player Discussion Tom Wilson - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
You are ****ing kidding me. Suspended already? Since when is a late hit a suspension. That didn't even look all that late nor particularly violent. It's certainly close to nothing compared to the late hits by the Isles vs the Caps playoffs.

Well there goes one of the few reasons I would be watching this fall, for some of the physical play sandwiched around PPGs. The neutering of any semblance of physical play remains a priority.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Late hits have been subject to supplemental discipline for a long time. See the video I posted a few posts back. It covers interference pretty well.

I'm not just criticizing the DoPS (who has no consistency whatsoever), I'm criticizing the league. The refs and the DoPS. They have something against Wilson. Why do you think the refs are usually quick to toss Wilson in the penalty box?

DoPS pretty clearly does not have something against Wilson, considering the amount of incidents he's been involved in and this being his first suspension. He's gotten off the hook with numerous incidents in the past. If anything, they've been far too lenient on Wilson.

Refs make calls in the heat of the moment, and those on-the-fly calls often are going to go against a player with a reputation. That's what happens. It's not a conspiracy or an agenda. It's the fact that Wilson's prior actions haven't earned himself the benefit of the doubt.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If you don't think Wilson is a marked man by the league, I'll have a shovel ready to dig out your head out of the sand in a second...stand by.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think they have gotten some calls on the ice wrong with Wilson but that doesn’t change that he’s borderline dirty at best.

He needs to focus on scoring more than 7 goals this season and continuing his good defensive work, not blowing people up well after the puck is gone.

Of course he's borderline dirty. That's his job as an instigator/gritty in your face player. Doesn't mean he should be targeted every game by the refs.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If you don't think Wilson is a marked man by the league, I'll have a shovel ready to dig out your head out of the sand in a second...stand by.

No more marked than any other player with a history of questionable hits. And the league has been far more forgiving of him than they have of others.

Of course he's borderline dirty. That's his job as an instigator/gritty in your face player. Doesn't mean he should be targeted every game by the refs.

Borderline dirty players are exactly who the refs should be focusing on....

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The refs should be focused on enforcing the rules for ALL players...NOT a few edgy guys.

By all means...let Crosby go after a guys balls, but this gets 2 games. League apologists...

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Two games for that is nonsense. Yeah the Blues' player had moved the puck, but it was still close by. It's a 2 minute minor by any other player.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I remember Steve Martinson attacking a Cap in the penalty box in preseason. I am sure he didn't get more than a $73 fine, if that.

Times have changed. Heaven forbid a half second late on a hit... 2 games and the next one will cost dearly as he has been officially warned.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It's not late, the puck was still in #36's vicinity.

Yep it was starting to slowly move away from 36 when Wilson committed. I think its expecting too much for a player to gauge just how slowly the puck is moving in situations like that.

DPofS should also look at the players speed and proximity of the puck when the player commits, not just solely looking at the hundredths of seconds that the puck was off the stick.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
DoPS pretty clearly does not have something against Wilson, considering the amount of incidents he's been involved in and this being his first suspension. He's gotten off the hook with numerous incidents in the past. If anything, they've been far too lenient on Wilson.

Refs make calls in the heat of the moment, and those on-the-fly calls often are going to go against a player with a reputation. That's what happens. It's not a conspiracy or an agenda. It's the fact that Wilson's prior actions haven't earned himself the benefit of the doubt.

That's why they fined him $2000 for taking a punch to the face from Parise. We've been over this already, we've made our positions clear. I won't change your mind and you won't change mine.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
That's why they fined him $2000 for taking a punch to the face from Parise. We've been over this already, we've made our positions clear. I won't change your mind and you won't change mine.

The difference is one of our positions is based in objective reality, while the other is based on homer glasses. Wilson got off without a suspension for kneeing Sheary, charging Visnovsky, boarding John Moore, boarding Campbell, boarding Bonino, or a couple of others I couldn't find video of. And this isn't even counting the hits on Zadorov or Schenn. The DoPS looked the other way on all of those (and took the time to make a video excusing him on the Schenn hit), but they have a grudge against him? Really? :biglaugh:

Wilson has earned his reputation. You don't get to lay out questionable hits on defenseless players repeatedly and then avoid the gaze of referees.

Reactions: Henderson19

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
I remember Steve Martinson attacking a Cap in the penalty box in preseason. I am sure he didn't get more than a $73 fine, if that.

Times have changed. Heaven forbid a half second late on a hit... 2 games and the next one will cost dearly as he has been officially warned.

At least Wilson being suspended for two preseason games won't cost him any $.

Yes I think this is his official warning that the league will be watching him very closely and will put him in the penalty box every time. It's going to take years for him to remediate his reputation. If he even can. Time for Wilson to change his game style.

Caps will have to kill lots of penalties in the meantime.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
So, now that we can see the video of the hit and the NHL's explanation for the suspension, is this a legit suspension for a repeat offender (who had, arguably, a history of questionable hits before this season even started) or just more evidence of a vast NHL conspiracy against not only Tom Wilson, but the very idea of heavy-hitting/physical hockey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad