Confirmed with Link: Tom Gilbert traded to Capitals for a Conditional 5th round pick

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
This is the kind of move that we were talking about since early january I think.

De facto, a "gratis" player.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
But isn't it less since half they year is over?

It is, but if you were going by the ~4M deadline estimate that's been floating around, that number factors in the time remaining on the contract. Cap Friendly now has our projected deadline cap room at 3.86M, although it'll actually be less than that once we've brought up a Burakovsky replacement.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Kings fan here. You guys will be pleased with Gilbert. He has not fallen off the map. He was very solid during his time here. What happened was he had a bad game I believe it was in December, and ever since then, Sutter has refused to play him. Also, around this time, two of our rookies, LaDue and Gravel, really stood out and it seems that management wants to let them play instead of a veteran.

I am actually disappointed we traded him because he would have been a good insurance policy if we sustained injuries on the blueline. He is still a good puck mover and plays the angles really well.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
And he shoots right. So he'll be 7th D and Chorney 8th D
I think that depends on his play in Hershey. Certainly Gilbert has more experience and offensive ability typically but Chorney could still play over him, say, if they need more of a PKer. Even then I'd probably bump up 88's PK usage in the event of 27/44 being out and dress Gilbert but he does need to gain the staff's confidence first to jump Chorney.

It's a decent buy-low depth add. If they wanted a more experienced RD then I guess this was pretty much it unless they wanted to get into the bidding for Franson or Stone (hard to rationalize as mere extras). Everyone else are lefties or less experienced so from that standpoint it makes sense to go ahead and make the deal.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Its awesome, teams are betting that we win 2 series! No brainer solid move for BMac.

It took me a while but I remember Gilbert now, from his days in Edmonton. Looking at those highlights of him sneaking down low for scores, he could be Connolly 2.0 reborn if he somehow could get the TOI.

Gilbert getting involved from the blue line in...

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Its awesome, teams are betting that we win 2 series! No brainer solid move for BMac.

It took me a while but I remember Gilbert now, from his days in Edmonton. Looking at those highlights of him sneaking down low for scores, he could be Connolly 2.0 reborn if he somehow could get the TOI.

Gilbert getting involved from the blue line in...

I actually remember him from Montreal not a couple years back. I recall he played pretty well against us and was actually surprised he wasn't the liability I thought he'd be.

He felt like what Hamrlik did to us in the Montreal series in 2010. Just found a way to get in the way a lot.

yay

Because I was curious, maybe someone else wants to know too... If Gilbert plays 10 games or spends 30 days on the Caps active roster, he'll have to clear waivers again to be sent back down to Hershey.

It isn't impossible that another Eastern playoff team with an injured D would claim him, should that arise.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Not this year. Love me some Crazy Karl but he's been a liability this season. He could certainly step his game up in the playoffs and be a positive contributor, but if I were GM I'd be exploring the feasibility of brining in a 1/2LD.

Players get hurt, they have ups and downs. Continually chasing the guy who's having the down year seems like a rabbit hole.

Replacing him would be cost prohibitive IMO, never mind the roster upheaval and messing with the apple cart issue. Depth forward next IMO.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Players get hurt, they have ups and downs. Continually chasing the guy who's having the down year seems like a rabbit hole.

Replacing him would be cost prohibitive IMO, never mind the roster upheaval and messing with the apple cart issue. Depth forward next IMO.

No doubt. Not disagreeing with any of your points. All I'm saying is we need better out of that position come playoff time. This is the year to upgrade any points of weakness as there are very, very few and the team is going to look drastically different over the next few years. This is the best chance they've ever had and probably the last real chance to get a Cup in the Ovechkin era. I'm normally a "hoard your nuts" guy but not now. Replacing him would be expensive. If they're raising the Cup in June though you won't care about the cost.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He's not a bad D by any means. He's close to being a RH Chorney, and definitely a good insurance policy. He brings depth to the Bears for now, and he's easily better than Tim Gleason or Mike Weber.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
I'd say (if he can get his game back into form) he is a better d-man than Chorney. Now, whether the Caps see it that way is very different.

He was a pretty good d-man for MTL and Edmonton for a number of years.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Now's the time to add Vanek with Bura out the next 4-6 weeks.

Let's be real, folks, someone else will get injured eventually. They're lucky they've been as healthy as they are.

Their (playoff hockey caliber)depth is wanting.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Now's the time to add Vanek with Bura out the next 4-6 weeks.

Let's be real, folks, someone else will get injured eventually. They're lucky they've been as healthy as they are.

Their (playoff hockey caliber)depth is wanting.

I'd like to have Vanek too, but how do we fit him in? Not just cap wise, where does he go in the lineup. In a perfect world, we would have Vanek and Vrana/Sanford as insurance for injuries.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
I'd like to see them add someone like Iginla.

He is a veteran who has been through the playoff wars, and I would guess he knows how to assimilate to the room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad