Toews pronounciation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ri hards

Jun 21, 2004
Vapor said:
I remember hearing the name Toews before so I knew it was "Taves" all along. However, I have no idea how/why it is "Taves". Is it Polish somehow, like Wolski (Vul-skee)?
Well...really it's pronounced the same with a 'V' sound as opposed to a 'W,' as is the custom in many languages

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Vapor said:
I remember hearing the name Toews before so I knew it was "Taves" all along. However, I have no idea how/why it is "Taves". Is it Polish somehow, like Wolski (Vul-skee)?

Toews certainly isn't polish name ;). And kielbasa isn't KOO-ba-sa :D

Safir*

It looks pretty German and I would pronounce it Töfs.

You folks in NA probably call him Tows. You simply drop the "e". When I was in the States people also dropped the "e" at the end of my last name.

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
Kärppä32 said:
It looks pretty German and I would pronounce it Töfs.

You folks in NA probably call him Tows. You simply drop the "e". When I was in the States people also dropped the "e" at the end of my last name.
No, it is "Taves" and we pronounce it "Taves".

JrHockeyFan

May 20, 2005
Lol

David said:
Any idea why the spelling is so radically different than the way it is pronounced?

Probably the same reason that "ph" (as in phone) = F and "kn" (as in knife) = n sounds in english. It is just the way it is.

PS: It is pretty common in eastern Europe and Germany to pronounce the letter W with a Vee sound.

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
JrHockeyFan said:
Probably the same reason that "ph" (as in phone) = F and "kn" (as in knife) = n sounds in english. It is just the way it is.

PS: It is pretty common in eastern Europe and Germany to pronounce the letter W with a Vee sound.

Yeah but there are many Töws or Toews in Germany and they are pronounced like Kärppä32 wrote but I guess that would be pretty much impossible for native English speakers so they went with the closest thing to it which is Taves apparently.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
GermanGirl said:
Yeah but there are many Töws or Toews in Germany and they are pronounced like Kärppä32 wrote but I guess that would be pretty much impossible for native English speakers so they went with the closest thing to it which is Taves apparently.

Don't quote me on this one, but I believe that the Mennonite Toews family is one rooted in Russian Mennonite tradition. Without getting into a huge history of Mennonites, the name is originally German but as Anabaptists were dispersed many settled in different areas around Europe and the former Soviet Republic. I would assume that the pronunciation has just changed over the years from movements around the globe.

And it's still pronounced "taves".

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Pete Rock said:
Don't quote me on this one, but I believe that the Mennonite Toews family is one rooted in Russian Mennonite tradition.

I'm pretty sure that's right. I know a few Toews, and I remember one of them telling me they were Russian Mennonite.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
My Cousin is a Toews and they pronoune it "TAYES" but I think it has to do with when there ancestors came over the people translating pronouced there names that way.

Kolbassa is pronouced KOO-BAA-SAA and is sometimes spelt Kielbassa but I think thats polish

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
David said:
Any idea why the spelling is so radically different than the way it is pronounced?

you mean like how Pilar is pronounced Peelash?

and Toews is pronouced with a German umlaut, so it should be Tös

which is "Taus" i believe or something more like it

"Taves" is completely wrong and I believe its a TSN invention

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
Metallian said:
"Taves" is completely wrong and I believe its a TSN invention

Read the rest of the thread.

Mennonites pronounce it "Taves" and thus it is pronounced as such on TSN since Jonathan is Mennonite.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Pete Rock said:
Read the rest of the thread.

Mennonites pronounce it "Taves" and thus it is pronounced as such on TSN since Jonathan is Mennonite.

Mennonnite's don't play hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->