Toews pronounciation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

badtakemachine

Dec 20, 2002
I remember hearing the name Toews before so I knew it was "Taves" all along. However, I have no idea how/why it is "Taves". Is it Polish somehow, like Wolski (Vul-skee)?

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
Joe Hallenback said:
Its pronouced Tayes like Hayes

Hes a good winnipeg boy who likes his Kolbassa and perogies :D

Hockey Canada and the good folks of Winnipeg I've talked to say otherwise, not Tayes like Hayes, but Tayves like....uh, can't think of anything that quickly that rhymes well with Tayves... ;)

Caves? Slaves? Paves? Raves? Saves? Waves? uh, never mind...you get the idea. How do you pronounce Kolbassa anyway? :D

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
BobMckenzie said:
Hockey Canada and the good folks of Winnipeg I've talked to say otherwise, not Tayes like Hayes, but Tayves like....uh, can't think of anything that quickly that rhymes well with Tayves... ;)

Caves? Slaves? Paves? Raves? Saves? Waves? uh, never mind...you get the idea. How do you pronounce Kolbassa anyway? :D

My Ukrainian roomate (formerly from Winnipeg) always pronounced it KOO-ba-sa.

I look forward to celebrities, Presidents and/or Prime Ministers giving Toews the Clinton-Yzerman "Is-ZEERman" treatment someday.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Toews is indeed pronounced Tay-ves. It's a Mennonite (German descent) name, very common in southern Manitoba - along with Friesen, Neufeld, Froese, Krahn etc.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
RobsonStreet said:
My Ukrainian roomate (formerly from Winnipeg) always pronounced it KOO-ba-sa.

I look forward to celebrities, Presidents and/or Prime Ministers giving Toews the Clinton-Yzerman "Is-ZEERman" treatment someday.
And it is spelled Kielbasa ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->