Toews passes Frolik as Number 1 contender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
According to Bob McKenzie, scouts are considering the 2006 draft a two horse race, but Frolik isn't one of the horses. Apparently Toews (Not Towes....PRONOUNCED TAYVS, get it right people) is being seen as a threat to knock Kessel from the top spot. Frolik and Erik Johnson are mentioned in the article as candidates to play themselves into the race, but it appears Toews already has.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Have you ever seen Towes, not that I would pick him ahead of Kessel now, but he is outplaying him so far in the NCAA.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Claypool said:
It's just Canadian media hyping Canadian players.

Not really. I think Toews is the most underated prospect in this years draft and its nice to see people talking about him. As the season goes on he will get better and I think it will be alot closer at the draft this year.

KH1

Toews is a very solid prospect and will go #2 or #3 (Johnson would jump him if a defense-starved team picked second) but I really don't see this as a competition. Kessel is a better playmaker and skater which makes all the difference in an entry draft.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Claypool said:
Toews is a winner through and through. He was the best player at last year's WU17, and the best player at this summer's Junior World Cup. (A U18 tournament). I think he has to be on Canada's entry at the WJC. I'm not convinced with the kid's offensive upside - I'm convinced he'll be a very good NHLer - but it's not exactly a top-notch draft, so to see him at No. 2 isn't a total shock.

When it comes to the NHL Draft, there are few people I trust more than Bob McKenzie.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
God Bless Canada said:
Toews is a winner through and through. He was the best player at last year's WU17, and the best player at this summer's Junior World Cup. (A U18 tournament). I think he has to be on Canada's entry at the WJC. I'm not convinced with the kid's offensive upside - I'm convinced he'll be a very good NHLer - but it's not exactly a top-notch draft, so to see him at No. 2 isn't a total shock.

When it comes to the NHL Draft, there are few people I trust more than Bob McKenzie.

Man, when I hear this kind of description for a potential No. 1 overall pick there are warning bells that sound off in my brain. I'm not critical of your description of Toews (in fact, it was very well done because it painted an image), but I really do hope that a guy who is projected to go first overall is a sure thing offensively.

I will reserve judgment until I actually see him play, but the description sounds like a player in the Kyle Chipchura mold. Worse still, it sounds a little like Chad Kilger. But again, I will reserve judgment until I see for myself.

Thanks for the info.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Sheppard is jumping back into the top 6 race, he has been dominant in the last few games and now has 20 points in 18 games after a slow start. 40 hits in those games.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Jag68Vlady27 said:
Man, when I hear this kind of description for a potential No. 1 overall pick there are warning bells that sound off in my brain. I'm not critical of your description of Toews (in fact, it was very well done because it painted an image), but I really do hope that a guy who is projected to go first overall is a sure thing offensively.

I will reserve judgment until I actually see him play, but the description sounds like a player in the Kyle Chipchura mold. Worse still, it sounds a little like Chad Kilger. But again, I will reserve judgment until I see for myself.

Thanks for the info.
No, he's not Kilger or even Chipchura. I'm not convinced of Toews offensive upside, but he should be, at worst, a top six forward for years to come. But I've been a fan of his since last year's WU17.

Keep in mind we're talking about 17 year olds, or kids who just turned 18. They still have a lot of rounding out to do.

(For example, at this time last year, there were still questions about Mike Richards offensive upside. I don't hear questions anymore).

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Claypool said:

Actually, it probably is a Canadian media thing.
I know I'm not paid the big bucks like McKenzie is to scout prospects or whatever...but I saw Toews numerous times with Shattuck last year and just saw him tonight playing on the tube for UND (the Toews-Oshie-Porter line rocks btw), but I just don't see him challenging Kessel at the moment, especially for a new wide-open NHL.
He's way more well rounded than Phil is though. In fact, Toews really doesn't have any flaws in his game (waaayyy super strong on the puck), but he's just not on Kessel's level in terms of pure game-breaking ability. However, Toews would probably be a safer pick than Kessel - so I guess I actually do agree with McKenzie a bit in that aspect.
Never seen Frolik so I can't comment on him.
Still, Toews is first line NHL prospect material......certainly captain material.

ndhockey21

Aug 1, 2004
North Dakota
Toews played well tonite for UND, keep in mind he is only 17. He had the most scoring chances of anyone on either team. He missed the net be inches and hit the post once or twice he could have easily had a hattie. I wouldnt discount Frolik yet which many are but no one has seen him play that says he isnt a top contender.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
What is interesting to me is that there will perhaps be a little bit of mystery in the 06 draft. In 04 and 05 there were no players who ever came close to unseating the undisputed number one pick. The 06 draft has many question marks and that is a good thing as it will provide plenty of excitement all the way to June.

I still would rank Kessel as number one but no longer the undisputed king of the draft. He has not performed at that type level yet to clearly distance himself from the other contenders.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
2_kovalev_7 said:
Americans thinking they are wayyy over others, nothing new here
In this case European.

This is Bob McKenzie. If he's hyping anyone, it's because he's good, plain and simple. How come when he hypes Europeans we don't hear stuff like this?

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
ndhockey21 said:
Toews played well tonite for UND, keep in mind he is only 17. He had the most scoring chances of anyone on either team. He missed the net be inches and hit the post once or twice he could have easily had a hattie. I wouldnt discount Frolik yet which many are but no one has seen him play that says he isnt a top contender.

I thought he had a little magic with oshie last night. They work well together.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
not trying to compare Kessell and Toews to these two guys necessarily but could we have a situation like the 1988(?) draft when Modano and Linden went 1-2. That is to say one very offensive center and one 2-way solid center with freat leadership qualities? Just a thought.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Canadian media hyping Canadian players.... :propeller

Yeah, Canadian top picks have been so dissapointing lately, when will the Canadian media learn that Canadian kids do not deserve pre draft hype. Americans and Euros are proven to be so much more successful in the NHL. Anyone ignorant enough to make a statement like that should really be ashamed of themselves. Honestly.

Anyway, I'm not sure why everyone is putting Toews and Kessel head to head here, the article makes it pretty clear that Kessel is ahead. The real story in this story is that Toews is being considered by scouts to be better than Frolik now. And if Bob McKenzie is writing it, you know damn well it's not Canadian media garbage.

nneate

Jul 24, 2005
Canada
Is it just me or is that a link to some story about a kid named Tuggy?

**EDIT** I see, i'm looking for the 4th.

Last edited:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
go kim johnsson 514 said:
Is this kid from another planet? How is Toews 'tay-vis'?
No, "taves" like "saves". German, by the looks of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad