Toews invited to Team Canada camp

Grodan

Oct 24, 2005
I have through the years seens players like Mats Sundin, Forsberg, Jokinen, Kovalchuk and Ovechkin to name a few really contribute in a WCH before beeing drafted, before playing in the NHL.

Mats Sundin was drafted in 1989 and played his first WCH 1990. Peter Forsberg was drafted in 1991 and played his first WCH in 1992, in what WCH did you see them really contribute before being drafted?

TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Mats Sundin was drafted in 1989 and played his first WCH 1990. Peter Forsberg was drafted in 1991 and played his first WCH in 1992, in what WCH did you see them really contribute before being drafted?

Let's not forget Kopitar and Vanek who both played very well as teens in WC, albeit on very weak teams, but nonetheless.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
What have you witnessed that make you say that? Not attacking. I am really curious because I don't get to see him much.

I have only seen him in the Frozen Four .

His game was subtle but outstanding. He seemed to be one of the few players that was aware of where the puck was going to be before it was there. He really seemed to be reading the play. Very good when he doesn't have the puck.

And when he did have the puck he acted quick. He seemed to know wheat to do with it in a flash.

A special player is Crosby, Ovechkin, Vanek, etc, and Toews just isn't in their level as a prospect (compared to when the aforementioned, and many more, weere prospects). Heck, he hasn't even led his NCAA team in scoring in the 2 seasons he's been there.

I never debated whether he's a good, top-level prospect. But he's not like the best canadian youngster in last 5 years (or heck, even the last 2) which would be the least needed for a non-NHLer prospect to garner a selection to Team Canada.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
A special player is Crosby, Ovechkin, Vanek, etc, and Toews just isn't in their level as a prospect (compared to when the aforementioned, and many more, weere prospects). Heck, he hasn't even led his NCAA team in scoring in the 2 seasons he's been there.

I never debated whether he's a good, top-level prospect. But he's not like the best canadian youngster in last 5 years (or heck, even the last 2) which would be the least needed for a non-NHLer prospect to garner a selection to Team Canada.

The only reason he didn't lead his team in scoring last years was because he missed games due to an injury and the WJC's. Since Toews had the best ppg average in the WCHA it could be argued that if he had played the full season he would have lead the WCHA in scoring. Toews was third in overall scoring and both the players above him have played 9 more games. Funnily enough the top 3 scorers were Toews, Oshie and Duncan so even if he wasn't the top scorer on his team it's not exactly that bad. If he was not the leading scorer on a weak offensive team then yeah but getting beaten by Oshie and Duncan (players he centred) isn't exactly embarrassing. Also unless i am mistaken in his first year he was only 17 and so the youngest player in the NCAA.

WOTR

Jul 26, 2003

Now we enter territory that I am a little more familiar with. Crosby distinquishes himself from ANY prospect or players over that last decade. Ovechkin is not far behind.

But Vanek, while maybe showing more offensively and while being more proven, was not a better prospect.

Addtionally, right now, I think there is more promise to Toews as a complete offensive, defensive and smart player. His ability to handle pressure and learn quickly is a big factor in reaching another level. Toews is unproven, so although it is a risk, I wouldn't trade Toews right now for Vanek who is excelling on a very stacked team.

So, left with Crosby and Ovy type of prospect then I would have to dismiss using the same definiation of special.

nags

Sep 27, 2006
Now we enter territory that I am a little more familiar with. Crosby distinquishes himself from ANY prospect or players over that last decade. Ovechkin is not far behind.

But Vanek, while maybe showing more offensively and while being more proven, was not a better prospect.

Addtionally, right now, I think there is more promise to Toews as a complete offensive, defensive and smart player. His ability to handle pressure and learn quickly is a big factor in reaching another level. Toews is unproven, so although it is a risk, I wouldn't trade Toews right now for Vanek who is excelling on a very stacked team.

So, left with Crosby and Ovy type of prospect then I would have to dismiss using the same definiation of special.

4 points in 3 games. Not bad. Lets see how he does against some stiffer competition which he will see next week.

p.s. Hey Fleury14, why are you dishing a Manitoba boy. You've already shown that your a fan with the Boyd avitar, why are you down on Toews?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site

Yeah, real 'special'........lol! He's good, but c'mon.........he's special in Austria maybe!

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Imo, he's pretty special, not only in Austria.

Well, Toews had 43 in 31 games this season, that would have accounted for 55 in 40 and he would have more than Duncan and Oshie.:sarcasm:

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Yeah, real 'special'........lol! He's good, but c'mon.........he's special in Austria maybe!

Vanek just had 40 goals in a secondary role in his soph season after 48 points in a very limited role in his rookie season. This is after a ppg in his rookie season as a 20-year old in the 'A', as well as tearing up the NCAA for two years.

He's a future top 5 scorer in the league, I don't see how that's not special.

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
Vanek just had 40 goals in a secondary role in his soph season after 48 points in a very limited role in his rookie season. This is after a ppg in his rookie season as a 20-year old in the 'A', as well as tearing up the NCAA for two years.

He's a future top 5 scorer in the league, I don't see how that's not special.

He´s really good, but if you use the word "special" and name the two best young players in the world in Crosby and Ovechkin with Vanek than I don´t agree with you.

He´s as special as Eric Staal, Dion Phaneuf maybe Heatley, Spezza but Crosby has proven that he´s in his own league.

As for Toews, he MAY not put up over a PPG as E. Staal or Vanek but to write him off this early as not being special is beyond me. Let´s see what he can do in his first two NHL seasons.
He was an outstanding College player, has won several world championships and is known as a great leader and clutch player and now he plays really good at the mens world championship at age 19.
I really don´t know what else you are looking for in a 19 year old kid to see something special but to be tied in scoring with Rick Nash while collecting 3 of 4 assists against the best opponent thus far, not being out of place, not hurting his team with errors, showing great on-ice vision, speed, puck control like a pro... I think he has all the tools to be special!

TRVIPERS

Sep 26, 2006
Home of the Jets
Heres another interesting tidbit that might indicate that Toews is that S word, you know the one "Special"

Toews, who turned 19 on April 29, played with the University of North Dakota this year prior to getting the phone call to make his senior international debut. It is an extraordinary compliment to his skills and development that he is here in Moscow, because Canada rarely promotes a player so quickly.

In fact, only twice previously has a Canadian played at the World Juniors and the senior World Championship in the same year. In 1983, three players made the leap—James Patrick, Gord Sherven, and Pat Flatley. They won a bronze with the juniors in January '83, and just a few weeks later played on the bronze medal team with the senior men's team.

In 1992, goalie Trevor Kidd backstopped Canada to a disappointing sixth-place finish in the junior tournament, but was so impressive with the national team that year that he was added to the World Championship team in Czechoslovakia. Kidd played one game with the big boys, and he was the last to achieve the junior-senior double in the same season.

http://live82.ihwc.net/english/teams/article.ihwc?team=CAN&aId=2535

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think it's time to offer you that hat Fleury 14 re: Toews...

I would be completely STUNNED if he were to make it. Believe me, he has little to no chance over established NHLers. He's just there for a warm body for the time being.

Yup...my kind of warm body. Time to eat your hat....

I think it would be fair if you did the gentlemanly thing and replied to this post with a quote stating "chomp, chomp, munch, munch, gulp, gulp...mmmmmm"

Awaiting your reply....:)

Last edited:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Toews has made many posters look stupid here at HF. It's been going on for years. I don't know why everyone continues to doubt him and downplay his abilities.

Three years ago he was called a 'safe' prospect because he is very good defensively. Three quarters of the posters here decided that 'safe' and 'defensive' mean he is going to be a two way, 60 point guy.

That is so far from the truth. Toews has every bit as much offensive potential as Eric Staal has, and I laugh at all the people who don't know that, because they always look so foolish when he steps up and delivers.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I have seen this kid practicing...

Toews has made many posters look stupid here at HF. It's been going on for years. I don't know why everyone continues to doubt him and downplay his abilities.

Three years ago he was called a 'safe' prospect because he is very good defensively. Three quarters of the posters here decided that 'safe' and 'defensive' mean he is going to be a two way, 60 point guy.

That is so far from the truth. Toews has every bit as much offensive potential as Eric Staal has, and I laugh at all the people who don't know that, because they always look so foolish when he steps up and delivers.

he is a machine. The WJC shoot out marksmanship display was just a product of his prodigious practice regimien. This kid can place them at will, due to insane practice in his basement shooting.

This kid is what I call an ultimate "balanced" player. Threat vs Defensive - Agressive vs Aware - Strong vs Smart - Pass vs Shoot.

Brian Trottier "part deux"

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Waiting...

Yup...my kind of warm body. Time to eat your hat....

I think it would be fair if you did the gentlemanly thing and replied to this post with a quote stating "chomp, chomp, munch, munch, gulp, gulp...mmmmmm"

Awaiting your reply....:)

for your acknowlegement. :)

J.A.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad