Toews Hasn't Looked Like Top 3 Pick at WJC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
For all of the hype going into this thing , I swore it would be the Kessel, Malkin, and Toews show, instead I only saw Kessel and Malkin. So what gives? Will Toews still go in the Top 5 in the 06 NHL darft? And what was all of the pre-hype by THN and TSN about?

-

Last edited:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
You saw Kessel becasue you were looking for him and maybe checking stats. I saw Tukonen, Lascek, Johnson, Emlin, Malkin and Oshie as the best players. Plus stats aside and away from the puck Frolik and Towes looked great. Kessel did look the best I've seen him without the puck in this WJC though.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Well the reality is that, what did the other draft eligible players do in this tournament?

Kessel had a decent tournament, however it did open up some eyes about certain weaknesses he has.

Erik Johnson really played well and that should effect his draft stock (maybe even a challenger for first overall)

Peter Mueller was nearly invisible in the games I watched for the Americans (Canada, Czech and Russia).

Frolik was also completely invisible in the games I watched of the Czechs

Same goes for Jesse Joensu.

Niklas Backstrom of Sweden really played well for Sweden, so I'm sure that really brought a lot more attention to him as a higher selection.

But overall, the play of the higher profile draft eligibles has been quite poor in this tournament. So I don't think Toews lack of production is really going to hurt his draft standing very much.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
#66 said:
You saw Kessel becasue you were looking for him and maybe checking stats. I saw Tukonen, Lascek, Johnson, Emlin, Malkin and Oshie as the best players. Plus stats aside and away from the puck Frolik and Towes looked great. Kessel did look the best I've seen him without the puck in this WJC though.

How many viewings of Toews and Frolik did you get? I saw each once, and they were far from great, especially Frolik.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Brock said:
Well the reality is that, what did the other draft eligible players do in this tournament?

Kessel had a decent tournament, however it did open up some eyes about certain weaknesses he has.

Erik Johnson really played well and that should effect his draft stock (maybe even a challenger for first overall)

Peter Mueller was nearly invisible in the games I watched for the Americans (Canada, Czech and Russia).

Niklas Backstrom of Sweden really played well for Sweden, so I'm sure that really brought a lot more attention to him as a higher selection.

But overall, the play of the higher profile draft eligibles has been quite poor in this tournament. So I don't think Toews lack of production is really going to hurt his draft standing very much.

Fair enough. In the end, the only person I see this year's WJC's helping/hurting is Erik Johnson. I think he raised his stock a bit. The other favorites for the top ten will likely keep their pre-tourney stock position, with perhaps a bit of jockeying.

CH Wizard

Wow, you jump to conclusions too fast.

I know, we expected him to do better...but look at Canada's depht. I know, you're going to tell me that it should nothing but help him...but alot of canadian forwards have had sub par wjc's so far.

Like Brock said, Frolik hasn't been much of a factor for the czechs either. Just a few 06' draftees has had good wjc's so far...especially Backstrom.

Wjc's won't help him raise up his stock, fine, though he's having a solid freshman season (true freshman) for North-Dakota. Don't forget that, he's producing in a league where players are atleast 1,2 years older.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Rabid Ranger said:
Fair enough. In the end, the only person I see this year's WJC's helping/hurting is Erik Johnson. I think he raised his stock a bit. The other favorites for the top ten will likely keep their pre-tourney stock position, with perhaps a bit of jockeying.

Yeah that's pretty much what I was getting at. Other then Johnson and perhaps Backstrom, this tournament I don't think is going to effect stock very much.

Transported Upstater

Rush, what is your problem with Toews-Kessel? Give it up already!

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Towes is a kid. At 17 he held his own. He is holding his own in the WCHA. He does not need to "show anything" at his age. Just by being at the tourney and playing on a top noth D1 team should be all he needs to do this year. Does the word project ring a bell to anyone. I wouldn't pass up his potential based on this tournament. He did not play out of a top 5 spot IMO.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Brock said:
Yeah that's pretty much what I was getting at. Other then Johnson and perhaps Backstrom, this tournament I don't think is going to effect stock very much.

This draft is turning into more of a crap shoot than I thought. Aside from Erik Johnson, I can't really pinpoint all that many "sure things." Yes, even Kessel has his question marks.

Transported Upstater

MN_Gopher said:
Towes is a kid. At 17 he held his own. He is holding his own in the WCHA. He does not need to "show anything" at his age. Just by being at the tourney and playing on a top noth D1 team should be all he needs to do this year. Does the word project ring a bell to anyone. I wouldn't pass up his potential based on this tournament. He did not play out of a top 5 spot IMO.

This is the voice of reason.

You are a known Kessell supporter and I'm assuming you're American, and you're able to give Toews credit without belittling Kessel, and vice versa.

Rush, pay attention.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Brock said:

You don't have a SNIFF about Mueller. That guy didn't make one mistake the entire tournament. Sure, he's not a razzle-dazzle player, but guy was the only player ion the US squad in the semi-final that was trying to create anything resembling chemistry with his linemates. If he didn't make the tape-to-tape pass, he dumped it in strategically to set up the forecheck for his teammates. If he didn't have a move, he'd throw the puck on net to create. Mueller looked better than Toews.

Transported Upstater

Rabid Ranger said:
This draft is turning into more of a crap shoot than I thought. Aside from Erik Johnson, I can really pinpoint all that many "sure things." Yes, even Kessel has his question marks.

I think Erik Johnson has excellent potential.

He's going to UMinn next year, right?

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
How many viewings of Toews and Frolik did you get? I saw each once, and they were far from great, especially Frolik.
I saw Frolik twice and all of the Canada games. Frolik, hardly played and was really misused in this tourny. He only got three shifts a game, at least it seemed that way. Go back and watch the US/Czech game. When he was out there he was great along the boards, made plays, controled the puck and backchecked deep in the defensive zone. I actually don't think that anyone's stock was upped that much, Kessel included, except E. Johnson. So for me #1 is still wide open.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Mallard said:
You don't have a SNIFF about Mueller. That guy didn't make one mistake the entire tournament. Sure, he's not a razzle-dazzle player, but guy was the only player ion the US squad in the semi-final that was trying to create anything resembling chemistry with his linemates. If he didn't make the tape-to-tape pass, he dumped it in strategically to set up the forecheck for his teammates. If he didn't have a move, he'd throw the puck on net to create. Mueller looked better than Toews.

I agree about Mueller. He's not flashy, but he's effective and plays a very sound all-around game. He's very similar to Toews as a matter of fact.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
#66 said:
I saw Frolik twice and all of the Canada games. Frolik, hardly played and was really misused in this tourny. He only got three shifts a game, at least it seemed that way. Go back and watch the US/Czech game. When he was out there he was great along the boards, made plays, controled the puck and backchecked deep in the defensive zone. I actually don't think that anyone's stock was upped that much, Kessel included, except E. Johnson. So for me #1 is still wide open.

That's cool. I only saw him once and he didn't stand out to me all that much.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
I agree, I wasn't overly impressed with Toews, but I also wasn't overly impressed with many. It was a strange tournament.

I was quite impressed by a few of the Russians, I only wish I could attempt to spell their names...haha

Kessel looked like a great skater, but without having much finish around the net, he didn't strike me as the "American Crosby" as much as he did last year.

Erik Johnson for sure looked good, and there were a few goalies who looked solid (the Swiss goalie especially, even though he allowed his share of goals).

I'm intrigued to see who wins the "best goalie" award, I assume Pogge if he can win the gold. If not, I'm not sure who.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Mallard said:

Where did I say that Toews looked any better?

I simply said that he didn't impress me very much. Neither has Toews. But it's one tournament. With both you can see the hockey sense, you can see some skill and both are at least playing hard. But for potential top 5 picks, I thought they were both underwelming in this tournament.

I watched enough US games to form my own opinion on him.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Bob McKenzie, of TSN up here in Canada, said that this tournament doesn't drop any draft eligible player's stock. It can raise it if he plays well, though. This is because this is seen widely as a 19 year old's tournament, so if a 17 or 18 year doesn't do as well as hoped it is O.K.

faucette78

Jan 6, 2005
If you look back at the history of the this tournament you will notice that the scoring is usually dominated by 18-19 year olds. there were a number of very high draft pics that are stars in the NHL that did not have stellar tournaments. Joe Thornton had 4 points in 1997, Vincent Lecavalier had 2 point in 1998, Heatley had 4 points in his year. You cannot determine the future of these players playing at 16-17 years old in a tournament dominated by 19 year olds. You have to project thier potential and not just see what they are doing now.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
The only round robin game's in Vancouver that I did not see were the boxing day games. Other than that, I saw them all, and I must say, Toews was everything I expected. You may not have seen it on TV, but away from the puck he was playing wonderfully. Nearly everytime his line was on the ice, they were generating chances from what we saw. He's a very complete player, as the scouting reports say...he has some quickness, but nothing that's blow you away fast....but the big thing I REALLY liked about him, was his willingness to get his nose dirty along the boards and grind it out, and cycle the puck to get the chances.

Kessel...he looks special, VERY explosive, and didn't seem to sneak out of the zone, although on a couple occassions he did slide out a little early in games I saw. That said, a wonderful player who gets off a wonderful shot even from awkward positions...biggest knock against him obviously is the fact he likes the fancy stuff, and doesn't use his linemates enough coming up the ice.

Erik Johnson I was extremely impressed with. I don't want to say it, but the kid has soooooooooo much poise out there...he looks a lot more mature and a lot older as far as his abilities go, then what his age dictates. Big shot from the point, definitely liking him...

Obviously Kessel is the one being hyped beyond belief....Toews very much so lately, and Johnson just seems to be flying under the radar until lately as well....I can't say I was impressed with Jonessu much at all, he did look rather invisible, but it's a short tourny...regardless, I got to watch basically all of the Pool A round robin games, and I LOVE IT!

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Suntouchable13 said:
Bob McKenzie, of TSN up here in Canada, said that this tournament doesn't drop any draft eligible player's stock. It can raise it if he plays well, though. This is because this is seen widely as a 19 year old's tournament, so if a 17 or 18 year doesn't do as well as hoped it is O.K.

That's pretty much the way I've always viewed it as well. It rarely hurts any players draft status as much as it helps others. So for instance with guys like Toews and Frolik that didn't produce much, they won't drop down other than because guys impressed and jumped them (such as Johnson).

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Canadian Chris said:
The only round robin game's in Vancouver that I did not see were the boxing day games. Other than that, I saw them all, and I must say, Toews was everything I expected. You may not have seen it on TV, but away from the puck he was playing wonderfully. Nearly everytime his line was on the ice, they were generating chances from what we saw. He's a very complete player, as the scouting reports say...he has some quickness, but nothing that's blow you away fast....but the big thing I REALLY liked about him, was his willingness to get his nose dirty along the boards and grind it out, and cycle the puck to get the chances.

Kessel...he looks special, VERY explosive, and didn't seem to sneak out of the zone, although on a couple occassions he did slide out a little early in games I saw. That said, a wonderful player who gets off a wonderful shot even from awkward positions...biggest knock against him obviously is the fact he likes the fancy stuff, and doesn't use his linemates enough coming up the ice.

Erik Johnson I was extremely impressed with. I don't want to say it, but the kid has soooooooooo much poise out there...he looks a lot more mature and a lot older as far as his abilities go, then what his age dictates. Big shot from the point, definitely liking him...

Obviously Kessel is the one being hyped beyond belief....Toews very much so lately, and Johnson just seems to be flying under the radar until lately as well....I can't say I was impressed with Jonessu much at all, he did look rather invisible, but it's a short tourny...regardless, I got to watch basically all of the Pool A round robin games, and I LOVE IT!

Good post. You seem to be really, really unbiased and that's refreshing.

:)

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
it's easy to have a rather unbiased view of everything when you see the majority of the games live, and see each of the prospects live. You definitely get more of an appreciation for each player and what they do away from the puck, the stuff we don't see on TV, when you see it live, that's for sure.

I got to live out a dream of mine to see these guys living out a dream of theirs, I really can't ask for anything else....except better reffing in the first few games...but alas....

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
TransportedUpstater said:
This is the voice of reason.

You are a known Kessell supporter and I'm assuming you're American, and you're able to give Toews credit without belittling Kessel, and vice versa.

Rush, pay attention.

How am I "belittling" Toews"? I simply expected to see some glimpes of why he was projected to be picked so high. I think it's a fair question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad