Player Discussion Todd McLellan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
State your freaking opinion on Talbot then. You have posted three times on the topic, but can't just once state what you think? Perhaps your rich history of posting ain't worth the effort.

Talbot has been stinky this season. The Oilers can thank Chia for not giving him a long contract if nothing else.

Maybe check out the thread I started that has Talbot’s name in the title?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/talbot.2412599/

I mean come on, that should be pretty easy to find and it’s pretty damn direct.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Maybe check out the thread I started that has Talbot’s name in the title?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/talbot.2412599/

I mean come on, that should be pretty easy to find and it’s pretty damn direct.

Great. I said three replies ago if you changed your mind so be it. You did. Yee haw.

He’s the biggest difference from last year. Weak goals at the worst moments.

So we agree that Talbot sucks. Woo hoo. So much easier if you don't tell people to look through hundreds of posts. See how that works...

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Great. I said three replies ago if you changed your mind so be it. You did. Yee haw.

So we agree that Talbot sucks. Woo hoo. So much easier if you don't tell people to look through hundreds of posts. See how that works...

Considering that thread was made a few months ago, I’m not sure how I changed my mind, or “came around”, on the subject. I’m pretty sure my opinion hasn’t changed at all. He’s not playing well this season. My opinion on the piss poor team defence in the Jets game doesn’t change that; a goalie can be mediocre and his defense can be bad at the same time.

Maybe in the future if you’re going to sarcastically imply someone has a certain opinion, you should be familiar with what their actual opinion is first.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
There is a coach that no one seems to be talking about who is available.

Darryl Sutter.

No doubt he's a better coach than McLellan. I just don't see Chiarelli admitting that giving McLellan that massive contract was a mistake by firing him and his staff.
I don't think McLellan was Chias choice he just happened to be placed at the helm at that time. Chia builds tough to play against teams not offence minded teams which is what McLellan previously coached. We are nothing like the sharks.

My vote for Sutter.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I don't think McLellan was Chias choice he just happened to be placed at the helm at that time. Chia builds tough to play against teams not offence minded teams which is what McLellan previously coached. We are nothing like the sharks.

My vote for Sutter.
Is Sutter going to turn Talbot back into a starting goalie?
will he be turning Klefbom back into a goal scoring threat?
will he make Sekera, Lucic and Draisaitl earn their cheques? the 3 combine for 30% of cap while providing not much.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Is Sutter going to turn Talbot back into a starting goalie?
will he be turning Klefbom back into a goal scoring threat?
will he make Sekera, Lucic and Draisaitl earn their cheques? the 3 combine for 30% of cap while providing not much.

IMO yes.

Sutter runs a tight system. They may have to accept a bitter truth that Chiarelli has squandered a load of talent and traded/passed away players like Hall-Barzal-Eberle, etc.

They may as well accept what they are now, which is a team that needs a defensive minded coach and play lock down hockey and accept they are a slow but physical team. Sutter can work with that.

He's the only coach IMO that can really work with this roster as is, and seeing as how there's not much cap room, I'd give him a shot.

Connor may have to accept that he probably will be sacrificing a Art Ross trophy over the next year or two though.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
IMO yes.

Sutter runs a tight system. They may have to accept a bitter truth that Chiarelli has squandered a load of talent and traded/passed away players like Hall-Barzal-Eberle, etc.

They may as well accept what they are now, which is a team that needs a defensive minded coach and play lock down hockey and accept they are a slow but physical team. Sutter can work with that.

He's the only coach IMO that can really work with this roster as is, and seeing as how there's not much cap room, I'd give him a shot.

Connor may have to accept that he probably will be sacrificing a Art Ross trophy over the next year or two though.
The difference between last year and this year is that Oilers were actually a physical team. This year other than Caggiula and Larsson there is no one finishing their checks.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The difference between last year and this year is that Oilers were actually a physical team. This year other than Caggiula and Larsson there is no one finishing their checks.

Another difference is Todd McLellan can't make adjustments. We were warned by San Jose fans about this. He has no clue what's happening on the PK, he's basically said as much himself.

Sutter will have the team play his way. No ifs, ands, or buts about it, no one on this team is going to have any confusion as to what their job is. Sutter teams are physical and nasty and he doesn't care if he has to trap/win a game 1-0.

It would be a sobering wake up call for some guys on this team though.

It sucks that we can't have a high flying offensive team, but Chia pissed that away unless we want to now basically do another mini-rebuild and wait for Yamamoto + this year's 1st to be ready. And they don't have a stud no.1 D either which makes that style of play difficult. Sutter hockey can work for this roster as is.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Do I want TMac fired, no but I wouldn't be surprised if they did at this point. If they jettison TMac and crew, the guy I would love to see is Marc Crawford. Cup winner in Colorado with a lot of strong personalities, reinvented himself and won 2 championships in the Swiss league and 3 league titles. Still has some of the fire in him. Think he hitched his horse to a bad Boucher wagon in Ottawa.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Crawford hasn't made the playoffs since 2003-04 that kinda concerns me.

We need a defensive first coach. It sucks and it's not the hockey I want to watch, but IMO Sutter will whip this thing into shape fast. Or we stare down the very real possibility of another mini-rebuild kinda befalling the franchise.

I'm tired of draft picks. The Kings missed twice with Sutter, but one of those years was 95 point season and that was coming off 2 Stanley Cups in 3 years ... that team was gassed.

The last season in LA, that group quit on him, he's an abrasive coach no doubt but by then he had been there for like 5 seasons. I'd give him a shot to see what he can do here for 2-3 years.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Sheldon Keefe is very likely going to get an NHL coaching gig this off-season. He's done too well with the Marlies not to.
I sure wouldn't mind rolling the dice with him.
Then pry Mike Futa out of L.A. to replace Chia. He's been chomping at the bit for a true GM job and knows NHL talent like no other.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Meh. I think Todds okay. I think people have started to over value what coaches do. Every team plays the same boring systems. Every coach preaches the same fundimentals. It's up to the guys with the skates laced up to go out a win the game. I guess that sounds a bit cliche, but hey, I'm just some guy with an Internet connection.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Meh. I think Todds okay. I think people have started to over value what coaches do. Every team plays the same boring systems. Every coach preaches the same fundimentals. It's up to the guys with the skates laced up to go out a win the game. I guess that sounds a bit cliche, but hey, I'm just some guy with an Internet connection.

He makes some questionable decisions for sure, but I agree and don't think he's that bad. From what everyone says, he's incredibly organized and well prepared every game. It's on the players. Obviously we are all pointing fingers when times get tough, but there's just something about EDM and the revolving door of coaches and players. No matter who it is and how excited we are to land a coach or player, it's the same song and dance. Like there's something in the drinking water that causes this team no matter who to just suck (except for McDavid of course). It's quite baffling.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Sutter, like Julien, would do wonders for this team. We have one of the worst defences in the NHL. This can be covered up with full effort from the forward group to defend as well. San Jose fans were right. McLellan is clueless with his line combinations and strategy (I personally don't think he has much of a strategy).

He was turned into a winning coach simply because of a great GM. San Jose was a powerhouse roster wise for a very long time.

I would love to see Sutter given the reigns here. I know the players wouldn't, but he did A LOT with Los Angeles who has never had an exceptionally deep roster. One of the best teams post lockout was coached by him. He got that group to buy in just like Tortorella is turning Columbus (a team nowhere near the top of the league regarding talent) into a contender.

Coaches like Tortorella and Sutter lose effectiveness over 4-5 year spans, but they sure get the most out of their guys during that time.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
If TM and Woodcroft are fired now they should feel greatful for the long leash they've had. I don't think many other teams would've been this patient.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Meh. I think Todds okay. I think people have started to over value what coaches do. Every team plays the same boring systems.

To me TM seems very unprofessional. If this was the normal level of the NHL coaches I'd feel this would be an area where even FEL is doing better.

To be honest I've never witnessed anything like we've seen with PP and PK for practically the whole season. You'd have to dominate in every other area to compensate for that and unfortunately I haven't seen that. To me it seems he simply doesn't understand the game well enough and is too stubborn or ignorant to make needed changes. Nothing personal, I'd like him and the team do well, but I've seen enough.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If this team had hired Daryl Sutter six weeks ago they'd be going to the playoffs in April. Not a doubt in my mind at all.

Instead he's just down the road in Viking, Alberta cleaning cow dung in his barn while McLellan and his assistants have pissed this season away.

Pittsburgh and Chicago had the sense to fire coaches at the right time and not give in to lazy sentimentality. Hell, Pittsburgh fired their coach AFTER he got them to the Finals, lol. For a bad 15 game start. They would go on to win the Cup in June.

This organization? Nope. Twiddling their thumbs as usual, coaching staff has no clue what to do with the PK or PP 40 games into a wasted season.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The problem I have with Sutter is that right now you have a whole bunch of teams that are succeeding by playing an up-tempo speed game. Sutter's game is exactly the opposite...grind, grind and then grind some more. The league is changing. I think you need a coach who can adjust to the new game.

Babcock is having some issues in TO as well by the way. They have a decent record but I think their is some growing discontent with his desire to play a highly structured defense first game. He also has a tendency to go with a vet like Polak over a younger guy like Carrick. But the team is not reacting well. And they have dropped to 3-6-1 in their last 10 and are only a few points from being out of a playoff spot.

I would actually be fine with Todd Nelson. He always seemed to be able to get the best out of his players and to design a system that would suit their strengths rather than try and have the players play to his set in stone system.

Reactions: Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The problem I have with Sutter is that right now you have a whole bunch of teams that are succeeding by playing an up-tempo speed game. Sutter's game is exactly the opposite...grind, grind and then grind some more. The league is changing. I think you need a coach who can adjust to the new game.

Babcock is having some issues in TO as well by the way. They have a decent record but I think their is some growing discontent with his desire to play a highly structured defense first game. He also has a tendency to go with a vet like Polak over a younger guy like Carrick. But the team is not reacting well. And they have dropped to 3-6-1 in their last 10 and are only a few points from being out of a playoff spot.

I would actually be fine with Todd Nelson. He always seemed to be able to get the best out of his players and to design a system that would suit their strengths rather than try and have the players play to his set in stone system.

We don't have a roster built for high flying hockey.

So we might as well IMO in the interim at least get someone who can coach the flawed roster that Chiarelli has put together.

Sutter would make this an abrasive, borderline dirty, hard to play against team immediately and a lot of the nonsense stupidity on D coverage, PK, etc. would be resolved very quickly.

Sutter doesn't put up with that shit. I would weep for the ill-informed Oilers D-Man coming to practice thinking he can half ass it and blow coverage, because Darryl would rip their balls off for a lot of these mistakes. Sutter don't play that. On a Sutter team you play his system or else.

If the alternative is very much a realistic shot that we may be staring down another mini-rebuild where we have to rely on Yamamoto/Puljujarvi/this year's 1st to develop for a couple of years, my reasoning is just take the 1st rounder this year, and just hire Sutter and skip the losing in between.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Anyone catch Shannon on Snet around 4 pm. Apparently said TMac and Chia on hot seat right now for the shitty performance. Something about Katz not amused

Reactions: Del Preston
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad