Today I... (part 4)

Junipero

Jun 11, 2003
Paradise, NL
This is actually for last night but:

Today I played in an actual game with full gear on for the first time in 351 days. Almost a full year after having ACL reconstruction. I didn't have much stamina but it felt great being back on the bench!

Reactions: Moon Man

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
Signed myself up for a 2nd team a division up. Hopefully that'll help elevate my game and get my fatass in shape for my wedding in 7 months.

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
2G, 1A in an 8-2 beat down to pull our squad to 3-4-1 and back into the last playoff spot. Brings me to a 7-4-11 stat line for the 5 games I've made it out for this season.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Got eviscerated for 4 goals on 8 shots. Was the most boring and frustrating game so far.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Playing defense in a pickup game, we had played for over an hour with only one sub, to say the least we were all exhausted, pass came across the middle, as i turned to follow the puck I got hit on the side of the knee with a one timer. The best player in the pickup game fully unloaded, I never even saw the puck, skated off so pissed broke my stick and walked right to the locker room. Took off my shin guard to reveal a half softball sticking off the side of my knee, looked like I had two kneecaps..... two days later its just a little swollen and nice shade of purple. I got off lucky, play with 3 doctors, two were there and looked it over, should be good to go in a week or so. Good news is I ordered some new sticks which is nice and the other one was on its last leg, had started to crack.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Playing ball hockey midway in a 0-0 game, we get stuck in our own end for about 3 minutes straight. Just constant cycling and shots that miss the net. The play ends with us taking a 4 min penalty. Now the opposing team continues their zone presence on the PP in our end. We kill off 3 1/2 minutes of the PP and we clear and get a change in but the team has a forward behind the defense and he gets the stretch pass and comes in for a breakaway and scored. I'm completely gassed at this point. I get lit up for another 5 because I was completely depleted after that 8 minute segment of the game. It sucks because I was playing relatively well and I basically lost the game for my team because I couldn't survive 8 minutes of zone pressure. I don't know how the pros do it. :huh: I guess I need to hit the gym more.:D

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
My roller season started up on Saturday. We play outside and it was a damn near perfect day. So my first game of the season was against my old team from last season and it's the first time most of us on my new team had played together but we seemed to gel really well. It didn't hurt that a couple of the opposing players are really still learning to play roller and aren't exactly good skaters. Don't think I had any goals even though I walked through them a couple times but I should have gotten a couple assists. I genuinely like setting people up more than I do scoring. Just being able to draw the attention to me while freeing up someone across the ice and then being able to thread that needle with a perfect pass is such a good feeling.

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
This was actually Sunday but I had my best game in a few seasons. Short benches on both teams (6 skaters) at a 10:30pm game. I scored a hat trick and had a nice primary assist from below the goal line in a 4-0 win.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Got an assist after battling in the neutral zone, than got a sick snipe / goal in the slot after myself and the other 2 forwards had a 3-way give-and-go play. I put the puck perfect top shelf, top right corner. Goalie had no chance as soon as I released the puck.
Pow, right in the kisser!

icon6668

Jul 22, 2012
2G, 1A in a 5-3 win. First goal was a SHG to put us up 2-1, can't even REMEMBER the last time I scored a shortie.

I've scored 2 goals in the past 3 seasons (Probably 50 games..... both goals came in the same shift in a playoff game while shorthanded 5v3. Nothing like skating out and blocking a slapper from the point and going in on a breakaway...... twice in a minute from the same guy

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
I skated in on the goalie and when I looked up he was face down on the ice and unresponsive. Our goalie skated over got the defibrilator and brought him back. The most nerve racking experience of my life. Last I saw he was responsive and moving his limbs, and breathing well. Really hope he's ok.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Had 2nd game of the season Saturday, this time against a much better team and a much better goalie.

Midway through the first I rush up the rink to push play (I'm usually playing D) and I force a 2 on 1 and the Dman completely plays the pass, like overly plays the pass as if he's playing CB, leaving me with a breakaway on the goalie so I come in with the little fake shot/head nod and then pull it to my backhand after he froze and put it in the empty net.

We ended up losing 3-2 but we made it a really good game. We also only had 2 guys on the bench while they had 4(we're playing 4 on 4)

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
Played in my first shinny game today! Got an assist (rebound from my shot attempt) and my very first shot block!

I’m a bit of a begginer player (massive understatement and everyone out there knew this obviously), so on my first/second shift out there, a real good oppenent player was entering our zone and I was covering him, after a couple swipes I managed to smack the puck from him, and I heard a few “OOOHHHHhhhs!” Hahaha. Man, it was real fun skating out there. It was a great group of guys.

Rec league here I come!

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Well we were short a couple players and ended up playing 3 on 3 with one sub instead of 4 on 4. And we got smoked, I think I had an assist or two but it wasn't close at all.

Oddly enough someone from the other team had to come over at the end of the game to compliment my skating. Which I found surprising because I've played goalie most of my life and I've never skated out in competitive play except for roller hockey and when I was like a mini mite for ice hockey.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Did the Datsyuk move on a breakaway.

Loved hearing the "oohhhs" and "aahhhs".

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Just finished an Intro to Hockey training term, and played my first scrimmage (with other people from the Intro 'class') and absolutely loved it. Obviously have a lot to work on, especially my skating.

Since we finished I've been getting on the ice every second day and my skating has been getting better each time, and I think I'll be comfortable to play some drop in games in a few months.

I was worried being 31 years old (and in Australia) that it would be too difficult to pick up - but I'm enjoying it and have been with a great group of people. New class will start in another week where it will be more advanced skating work to improve edge work, etc.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Scored my first league hat trick last night.

I'm not a star but I'm usually good for a goal every couple of games. This season I've been totally snakebit, goal-less through 8 games. This is my third season as an adult E-league rec leaguer, I felt like I've been improving and was getting the most good chances I've ever gotten, but just nothing would go in.

Second period, bouncing puck hits a bunch of people in a scramble in the central slot, everyone hacks but I catch it in mid-air and it goes straight in. Then third period, I get a breakaway. I put try to put it over the goalie's shoulder and hit his mask instead (that's like the third time in a row I've done that with that move, I should fix it), but it lands between his feet and I tap it through as I follow up. A couple of minutes later, I get a wide-open chance from about 12 feet away, plenty of time to just wait for the goalie to go down and then shoot it over him. I make a total ass of myself skating past the meager crowd of players' family and girlfriends watching, making a "Throw the hats!" gesture, no regrets.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Played against an old teammate (goalie) that moved to a new team this summer.

I was behind the net and saw obo of my teammates in front, I threw a short saucer pass over the defender's stick and he popped it in to tie the game 2-2.

A few plays later in thier end, my teammate sorta ties up the other centre on the draw, I skate in off the left wing and snag the puck. I go around the D, around the goalie, and slam it home backhanded on the ice, around his pads for the game winner!

He was pretty mad and he shot the puck down the ice swearing. Everyone including the refs laughed at him, except me. I had my back turned celebrating and didn't see it.

That was the goal that broke their back, we ended up winning 7-2, I got 1 more assist and played the last 5 minutes on D since several guys got tossed out of the game.

Complete gongshow, but I loved it obviously lol.

hillcrest34

Jan 15, 2016
Adelaide, SA
Not today but Sunday

Broke my leg in two places 30 seconds into a shinny. Was skating backwards. Behind the goals, went to transition while receiving a pass and caught an edge, fell into the boards and onto my leg. Got out of hospital today and I’m going back in thursday for surgery. Pretty gutted that I’m going to miss some hockey this season, especially as I’ve been training since March for this upcoming season and improved a bucketload

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Not today but Sunday

Broke my leg in two places 30 seconds into a shinny. Was skating backwards. Behind the goals, went to transition while receiving a pass and caught an edge, fell into the boards and onto my leg. Got out of hospital today and I’m going back in thursday for surgery. Pretty gutted that I’m going to miss some hockey this season, especially as I’ve been training since March for this upcoming season and improved a bucketload

Yikes. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

hillcrest34

Jan 15, 2016
Adelaide, SA
I had surgery Thursday, and at this stage looks like I’m only going to be out for 12 weeks thankfully . I’ll miss the start of the season but still get the bulk of it in!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->