News Article: Tocchet: "...some guys are sucking wind..."

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Crouse was one of those guys, but he has been pretty good so far. But I have noticed he is absolutely dead after a 30 second shift.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
So the coach doesn't know the shape his players are in after training camp and 4 games into the season. He didn't check for game fitness in training camp? What's he running, a country club? Camp gave plenty of time to round players into shape, but Tocchet chose to have less time on ice than the last coach during camp.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Crouse was one of those guys, but he has been pretty good so far. But I have noticed he is absolutely dead after a 30 second shift.

This is common among power forwards and a big reason they take so long to develop. To be that big and go that hard every shift is pretty demanding. The ones that turn out well are the ones who learn how to pace themselves a little better.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
Well I would rather have a guy who puts out max effort and comes back to the bench tired then guys just floating out there. Crouse in my opinion hasn't been the problem.

I don't think I really noticed Martinook, Rieder, Cousins or a couple others in a good way.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Tom Polakis

Eternal Optimist
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Perhaps they're being asked to play in an untenable style: OK, everybody forecheck hard, defensemen jump i,n but also don't allow odd-man rushes. Seems like a reasonable approach. Now why are they sucking wind?

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

You should be sucking wind after 30 seconds. It just means you went all out.

So the coach doesn't know the shape his players are in after training camp and 4 games into the season. He didn't check for game fitness in training camp? What's he running, a country club? Camp gave plenty of time to round players into shape, but Tocchet chose to have less time on ice than the last coach during camp.

Yeah, I don't understand what he is talking about. I still find it hard to believe players not coming to training camp in shape.

This is common among power forwards and a big reason they take so long to develop. To be that big and go that hard every shift is pretty demanding. The ones that turn out well are the ones who learn how to pace themselves a little better.

I agree, but I like the way Crouse is pacing himself. I don't see him running around like a chicken with his head cut off.

Well I would rather have a guy who puts out max effort and comes back to the bench tired then guys just floating out there. Crouse in my opinion hasn't been the problem.

I don't think I really noticed Martinook, Rieder, Cousins or a couple others in a good way.

I don't like Cousins or Kempe, but last game they were two of our better forwards. What does that tell you? The vets are the problem here and they all say that in the interviews, but talk is cheap. We need a Captain in that room that will stand up and take charge. I don't want to start a rumor, but I get a feeling there is a little friction between Stepan and OEL. This rotating A's is childs play.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Perhaps they're being asked to play in an untenable style: OK, everybody forecheck hard, defensemen jump i,n but also don't allow odd-man rushes. Seems like a reasonable approach. Now why are they sucking wind?
I would be looking at the guys not sucking wind, the ones that are floating. I think all we need is a little bit of luck to go our way and we will be off to the races. This team is much better than what we have seen so far, if they all start to put in a honest effort. This has snowballed a bit right now and most are clutching their stick a bit much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->