To be the best, you do not have to beat every team

Status
Not open for further replies.

5minutemajor

Mar 23, 2018
Every other thread in here there is someone, usually more than one poster though, stating the idea that ’to win the Cup you have to beat everybody’.

That would be wrong.

You might be the best team in the league by a comfortable margin, but you just have this one nemesis who you cannot figure out. But the format throws them at you in the first or second round. But, the later it would be, the better the odds for someone else to knock your nightmare out of the playoffs.

I hope this settles it. Thank you.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
You might be the best team in the league by a comfortable margin, but you just have this one nemesis who you cannot figure out. But the format throws them at you in the first or second round. But, the later it would be, the better the odds for someone else to knock your nightmare out of the playoffs.

You're right.

But if you really deserve to win the SC, you should be able to beat any team that you happen to run into.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
Every other thread in here there is someone, usually more than one poster though, stating the idea that ’to win the Cup you have to beat everybody’.

That would be wrong.

To be the best, you have to win 16 games in the playoffs. If you cannot, you are not the best team.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

That would be wrong.

Well yea match ups are key in the playoffs but still I give the benefit of the doubt to a 7 game series. Its long enough to make adjustments to a team that you should beat. If you are truly the best team in the league you should prove it. You dont just get to be best team in the league and not have to prove it. It doesnt work that way.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
My problem is people ignore the fatigue factor after playing a tougher opponent vs. the other team that would get an easier way despite having a worse regular season.

Yeah, but you're also assuming that the team with more regular season points is the tougher opponent.

When match-ups don't work that way.

People are making way too much of a deal of this divisional playoff situation.

In any event, to be the best, you have to beat 4 teams after being among the top teams in the league in the regular season.

That's it. Everyone has the same requirement.

Reactions: Deku

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Yeah, but you're also assuming that the team with more regular season points is the tougher opponent.

When match-ups don't work that way.

People are making way too much of a deal of this divisional playoff situation.

But its more likely. I think we should go with whatever scenario would give the best team the more likely easier road through their conference

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Regular season would have much bigger effect if the seeding system was different.

For example if the top seeds could choose who they play against.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Playoffs don't determine the best team. They determine the winner of the Stanley Cup (more important).

If Usain Bolt in his prime trips at the starting line and loses the gold medal he is still the fastest man in the world, he wouldn't be the reigning gold medal winner though.

Scotty Pucks

Bring back “Doop” as Flyers Goal Song
Apr 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
Toronto got jobbed big time. I do believe they’re a very solid young team. But the B’s are simply on another level right now.

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
By the time June rolls around, both teams left are pretty much duct taped and barely stitched together. After 2 months of playoff hockey, the team that survives it all and ends up on top is the rightful winner. People can whine about matchups or luck all they want, whoever wins the Cup is the team that gets it done and should be given credit for that. People that can't accept this just sound salty.

Reactions: Deku

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I want the people who hate this format to remember something.

In the OLD FORMAT 4 played 5 and 6 played 3.

Most often the points didn't seperate those spots very much and it was STILL GREAT TEAM vs GREAT TEAM. Especially since SPOT #3 went to the third best division leader. A lot of times teams in Spots 4-5-6 hell maybe even at times 7 had more points then teams who finish 3. I think Carolina-TB won the South East quite a lot 15 or so years ago and would finish 3rd. I'm not looking it up but I think the Hurricanes in 02 and 06 were like this.

SO that's half the series in the playoffs under the old system with near equal teams playing each other.

This format isn't "THAT" different when you consider those things.

The only polar opposite match-ups were 8 vs 1 and 7 vs 2.

ANd 7 upset 2 an alarming number of times.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Well yea match ups are key in the playoffs but still I give the benefit of the doubt to a 7 game series. Its long enough to make adjustments to a team that you should beat. If you are truly the best team in the league you should prove it. You dont just get to be best team in the league and not have to prove it. It doesnt work that way.

Exactly.

I think it's completely pathetic teams (Fans of the teams) cry about match-ups.

Look at Bruce Boudeau. Guy always gets an awful match up. Part of the reason he hasn't moved very far in the playoffs.

Ovechkin usually plays against a team that has his number like the Rangers and Pens.

If you want to go far, be prepared to beat whoever your up against.

How about the Hawks or the Blues. The Blues could of won the cup in 2014 but they had to face the Hawks in round one and lost in 6. The Hawks were good in 2016 and 2017 but had to face the Blues in 16 (lost in 7) and the Preds last year. (Swept)

SOmetimes teams do go through SOMEWHAT easy opponenta and get to the finals./

It can be argued New Jersey in 2012 for instance didn't have the hardest road to the finals but it also can be argued it was just as hard as all the others.

Don't want to play a great team?

Try winning your division then.

Reactions: The Shovel Penguin

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I can only imagine in the 90's the Cowboys playing the 49ers in round 2 instead of the championship game. Man, that would have sucked.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
But its more likely. I think we should go with whatever scenario would give the best team the more likely easier road through their conference

ANd that's what has happened....

DIvision WInners -TB, Washington have drew wildcards CBJ, NJ.

NAS and Vegas frew avs and LA. Wildcards.

I can only imagine in the 90's the Cowboys playing the 49ers in round 2 instead of the championship game. Man, that would have sucked.

Lets not get carried away.

The top 2 teams in the league aren't in the same division.

Especially comparing hocley playoffs to Football, it's extremely different.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
But they are in the same conference.

Yeah but the team that is 3rd is RIGHT behind, just 1 less point and TWO MORE WINS, and then the team right behind them is another point below them. SO the 3rd and 4th teams this year are with-in two pts of who finished 2nd and there both in the East.

So it balances out to have two heavyweights in the east and two in the west.

With the system the ways it is now it actually makes it MORE LIKELY that these great teams will play each other then with the old system.

If 1 and 2 (NAS and WPG) go to the 2nd round and 3 and 4 (BOS AND TB) both play each other.

That's exciting.

I get the argument that a series like those should be in the third round but the third round (TO ME) is big anyway cause it's the CONF Finals. and at least this way we are more likely to get that dream match (NAS-WPG, BOS-TB) to begin with, because in the old system who's to say an upset doesen't happen to one of these teams in ROund 1 or 2?

By making it so they face off in the 2nd, not only does it create a window for more rivalries to begin within the division, it also makes it almost sure that those two powerhouses will go at it. (Rather then counting on those teams to both win two 7 game series's each just to meet up in the Conference FInals)

I get the flaws.

I really do.

I see both sides with pro's and cons.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I mean, if you did the old 1 - 8 system, Toronto would have played the Pens. Its not like they would have gotten to play the Sabers.

Good point.

It's the SABRES* though, and we usually school T.O

lol, and honestly ....if your a contender like they claim they are, boo hoo.

Win a series. It's only been forever.

Reactions: wintersej

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Yeah but the team that is 3rd is RIGHT behind, just 1 less point and TWO MORE WINS, and then the team right behind them is another point below them. SO the 3rd and 4th teams this year are with-in two pts of who finished 2nd and there both in the East.

So it balances out to have two heavyweights in the east and two in the west.

With the system the ways it is now it actually makes it MORE LIKELY that these great teams will play each other then with the old system.

If 1 and 2 (NAS and WPG) go to the 2nd round and 3 and 4 (BOS AND TB) both play each other.

That's exciting.

I get the argument that a series like those should be in the third round but the third round (TO ME) is big anyway cause it's the CONF Finals. and at least this way we are more likely to get that dream match (NAS-WPG, BOS-TB) to begin with, because in the old system who's to say an upset doesen't happen to one of these teams in ROund 1 or 2?

By making it so they face off in the 2nd, not only does it create a window for more rivalries to begin within the division, it also makes it almost sure that those two powerhouses will go at it. (Rather then counting on those teams to both win two 7 game series's each just to meet up in the Conference FInals)

I get the flaws.

I really do.

I see both sides with pro's and cons.

I just feel like Tampa and Boston should have never met before the ECF. It's JMHO.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I think the League wants the Regular Season to mean more, they want teams to try and win there division because you will given a wild-card team.

I guess it's the same as the old-way, but it's still fair to me that if you win your conference (In reg season ...you play the lowest seed. As long as that's still the rule, it's still fair.

I just feel like Tampa and Boston should have never met before the ECF. It's JMHO.

That's fair, but I can think of a lot of playoff years where some of the best teams have played in ROund one or two even under the OLD system.

RickyHP

May 9, 2013
Bay Area, CA
By the time June rolls around, both teams left are pretty much duct taped and barely stitched together. After 2 months of playoff hockey, the team that survives it all and ends up on top is the rightful winner. People can whine about matchups or luck all they want, whoever wins the Cup is the team that gets it done and should be given credit for that. People that can't accept this just sound salty.

i love how the theme change so often

in 2016 everyone was dismissing the sharks as a team that just made it to the finals with 'luck' and had an 'easy road' to the cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->