To Be A Goalie....

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
Well, I've come to the decision after playing forward since November that I really want to be a goalie. Forward is fun and all but I really want to give goalie a try and really pursue it. I'm looking for tips on purchasing gear and general know how about being a goalie. I've ready puckmugger's blogs and those are good reads but I'm looking for different tips and other's experiences. Plus, I'm nuts enough to block shots in open hockey, I figure why not do it properly. I'm really excited about though it seems that it's going to cost me about $1200 is kinda depressing but oh well, we'll see. Anyway, any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. :)

Opeth11

Feb 28, 2007
Richmond, BC
Purchasing used gear in fairly decent condition would be a great start just in case you decide not to play the goaltending position later on in the future. You will save a lot of money.

Maybe used helmets and other more personal pieces of equipment may not be the greatest idea ever, used pads should be of no problem.

I'm not a goaltender so I can't really help that much, but I do hope you have a great time minding the net.

TomWaits

Feb 27, 2002
Couple of things:

It might be a good idea to try net first before you go out and buy the stuff. I started playing net when I was 18 and borrowed some gear first - loved it and the rest is history.

Ebay is a great place to start or play it again sports. Get good stuff cause there is nothing worse than getting a puck off the bare arm. I would go used for sure unless you are made of money.

Play lots - I live in the Toronto area and played shinny during the day for the first few years. I didn't join a league until I was 24 cause I wanted to learn the craft first.

PM if you have any questions

TomWaits

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Invest in a good cup and helmet, that's all =D

Actually hit up a few of the goalie boards, like goaliestore.com and there's lotta advice as well as classified ads for cheap gear. I forget the other site, goalieboard or goalieboards.com, don't quite remember.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Also check the bulletin boards at your local rinks - people are always selling stuff for decent prices. eBay's not bad, either, but you can't try the gear on that way.

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
Thanks! Good stuff. GoalieMonkey also seems like a solid site and offers combined offers and such. I also wanted to know, how hard is the skating transition from forward skates to goalie for those have tried it. I understand the skate is different but how hard is the transition. Only problem with used gear is I'm 6'4 and wear a size 11 so I believe for my legs pads, I need 37" and I know this is a rather large size but I'll see what I can hunt down.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
It's definitely different, much much smaller rocker. Skates aren't as tall and... oh yeah you have large pillows on your legs.

Before you buy anything from goaliemonkey, I HIGHLY suggest you check out goaliestorebb. You can easily save hundreds of dollars as well as find out exactly what you need.

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
It's definitely different, much much smaller rocker. Skates aren't as tall and... oh yeah you have large pillows on your legs.

Before you buy anything from goaliemonkey, I HIGHLY suggest you check out goaliestorebb. You can easily save hundreds of dollars as well as find out exactly what you need.

I'm browsing but nothing seems to be in my size as far as being able to utilize some of their deals. I think I'm going to keep my eyes open for the clearance rack. Always good deals! :D

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Clearance deals are still sorta, meh.

And you think you need a 37, but make sure you get a good measurement of your ankle to knee. That'll be the truer determinator of your size, and pads differ with that measurement a bit too.

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
Clearance deals are still sorta, meh.

And you think you need a 37, but make sure you get a good measurement of your ankle to knee. That'll be the truer determinator of your size, and pads differ with that measurement a bit too.

it's ankle to knee? i thought it was mid-thigh? i'll have to double check it.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Nahh...just take your ATK, and when you shop for pads, ask them what's the ATK for that size pad as all pads will be slightly different. For me, I could go from a 33-35" pad. Some pads have adjustable knee cradles so you could lower it or raise it to fit your ATK...it's gotta be exact or when you go down to your knees your gonna miss the landing pad.

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
thx 4 the info! it was about 18 inches, anybody know of an online chart to check it? Im thinking a pair of Vaughn's because I can get a combo package. :)

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
if you post on in the "buy" section of gsbb with your ATK size I'm sure you'll get a few offers. Explain your situation and you'll get something. Some of the guys seem like real jerks but when it comes down to dealing with them and helping out guys interested in becoming goalies(as long as you search before you ask questions) they are as nice as can be. You can find guys giving away gear just to help someone out... This is the same board that had a LOT of people donate money to a guy they never met because he found out he had brain cancer and most wear patches in his honor. Some of the guys come off as jerks but they will help you out if respect the way the board is run and try your best to contribute.

You really won't find a board with better informed members when it comes to goalie gear. If you ask a question; somebody there knows the answer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->