Tkachuk-Matthews-Laine vs Boeser-McDavid-Marner

Which trio is better?

• Total voters

member 297479

Tkachuk-Matthews-Laine, mainly because of Tkachuk. He just plays the game the right way and isn't afraid of going into the hard areas to battle. Good leadership qualities and also, quality locker room guy.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
No he doesn't. He just provides more grit.

Boeser is objectively a better player and has been far more impressive than Tkachuk has in his rookie season. Boeser also faced number one D-pairing, unlike Tkachuk.

No Tkachuk is literally better at everything except goal scoring and skating.

When Boeser was Tkachuks age he was not in the NHL.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
No Tkachuk is literally better at everything except goal scoring and skating.

When Boeser was Tkachuks age he was not in the NHL.

This is silly.

There's no evidence you can suggest that he's better at everything other than grit.

Boeser has more IQ and is better at playmaking for starters.

Doesn't matter if Boeser was not in the NHL at Tkachuk's age, we're talking about who is better currently.

Boeser IS the better hockey player than Tkachuk, and several non-Canuck fans have recognized that as such in this very thread.

Last edited:

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
They have Laine on their line, how are they any better defensively

your one of those people who thinks laine is a defensive liability don't you? laine is no selke finalist, but his defense is fine. he shoots out from further away and is usually one of the first players on the back check

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
This is silly.

There's no evidence you can suggest that he's better at everything other than grit.

Doesn't matter if Boeser was not in the NHL at Tkachuk's age, we're talking about who is better currently.

Boeser IS the better hockey player than Tkachuk, and several non-Canuck fans have recognized that as such in this very thread.

You know they track defensive stats, right? And zone starts? And quality of competition etc?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
your one of those people who thinks laine is a defensive liability don't you? laine is no selke finalist, but his defense is fine. he shoots out from further away and is usually one of the first players on the back check
Everyone says this. If Laine is average defensively, who is below average?
No one ever wants to admit the flaws in the players, especially their star players.

Laine is damn good at what he does, but he is not even average when it comes to defensive play, he's one of the weakest ones on the jets. Probably the weakest in their top 9.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Tkachuk-Matthews-Laine, mainly because of Tkachuk. He just plays the game the right way and isn't afraid of going into the hard areas to battle. Good leadership qualities and also, quality locker room guy.

I went exactly the opposite. Laine good enough to offset the difference between McD and Matthews, but Tkachuk was the deal breaker and not in a good way. Agitating and grit for a sub 50 point forward just doesn't compete with the skill on the McD line.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Tkachuk << Boeser
Matthews << McDavid
Laine >> Marner

Going with 2015.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Pretty much every one would take Boeser over Tkachuk give it a rest.

Boeser was on pace for ~40
goals as a rookie on the 30tj team in the NHL...

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Everyone says this. If Laine is average defensively, who is below average?
No one ever wants to admit the flaws in the players, especially their star players.

Laine is damn good at what he does, but he is not even average when it comes to defensive play, he's one of the weakest ones on the jets. Probably the weakest in their top 9.

no. cuz he really isn't that bad. he definitely coughs up the puck every once and a while , but he's also not a huge defensive liability as he covers up ice on his back check

he wasn't scoring a whole lot pm the 2nd line, but they weren't getting scored on a lot either

member 297479

I went exactly the opposite. Laine good enough to offset the difference between McD and Matthews, but Tkachuk was the deal breaker and not in a good way. Agitating and grit for a sub 50 point forward just doesn't compete with the skill on the McD line.
I think I forgot the :sarcasm:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is silly.

You can make an argument that Boeser is better but saying it's hockey IQ is dead wrong. That Tkachuks biggest strength in My opinion.

I know I'm in the minority but I prefer the big boys here. That line would be unstoppable in the playoffs.

Don't see a fit with Marner and Mcdavid not enough puck to go around.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
You can make an argument that Boeser is better but saying it's hockey IQ is dead wrong. That Tkachuks biggest strength in My opinion.

I know I'm in the minority but I prefer the big boys here. That line would be unstoppable in the playoffs.

Don't see a fit with Marner and Mcdavid not enough puck to go around.

Nope not wrong.

Tkachuk's biggest strength is his grit and having the quality of putting players off their games

I have watched many games played by Tkachuk this season and I can safely say that hockey IQ, Boeser has him beat.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Nope not wrong.

Tkachuk's biggest strength is his grit and having the quality of putting players off his game.

You are disagreeing and arguing two different points...

Disagree he has incredible vision below the dots. He is always around the puck but is a poor skater. Direct tell he has elite hockey sense.

I am not saying his grit isn't important they all contribute to the player he is. However without the hockey sense and high high hockey IQ he is just a pest or a 4th line goon. Without the grit he is likely still a top 6 player.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I have to go with Tkatchuk-Matthews -Laine. I feel they could be a very effective line. Matthews and Laine would provide the scoring and Tkatchuk brings the grit. Could work really well. in form of overall skill and speed the McDavid line is probably better, but going into playoffs I would take the matthews-line.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
No he doesn't. He just provides more grit.

Boeser is objectively a better player and has been far more impressive than Tkachuk has in his rookie season. Boeser also faced number one D-pairing, unlike Tkachuk.
Are you serious? The 3M line is consistently out there against other team's top lines. They're our shutdown line, and Tkachuk put up nearly 50 points on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad