TJ Oshie is a first line talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShortHanded

Feb 15, 2006
I've watched this kid all year and he's got more offensive upside than he is credited with on these boards, IMHO. The conception of him he is that he's going to be a gritty 2nd or 3rd liner and, again IMO, his offensive upside is way higher. If he grows another 2 inches, not out of the question, it scales to nearly off the charts. The kid has really good puck skills and is a very solid skater, really hard to move off the puck even for his modest frame of 5'10'' or so. But most impressive are his array of shots, his general finishing ability and his adept passing game; This kid easilly demonstrates first line NHL potential every game I've seen him and I put him only a slight notch below the very best players in college at the present time. He holds his own against Kessel, Potulny, Stoa and Earl, etc. Personally I think his upside is denigrated because he plays such a gritty game and if he wasn't such a physical little player and an ardent puckhound in the style of less skilled players, he'd actually be thought of as a more offensive player in line with his high skill level.
Jarmo really stole one for the Blues with this kid and he's a legitimate first line talent right along with the very best NCAAers.

heygarebear

Blues
Feb 28, 2002
STL - Nashville
ShortHanded said:
I've watched this kid all year and he's got more offensive upside than he is credited with on these boards, IMHO. The conception of him he is that he's going to be a gritty 2nd or 3rd liner and, again IMO, his offensive upside is way higher. If he grows another 2 inches, not out of the question, it scales to nearly off the charts. The kid has really good puck skills and is a very solid skater, really hard to move off the puck even for his modest frame of 5'10'' or so. But most impressive are his array of shots, his general finishing ability and his adept passing game; This kid easilly demonstrates first line NHL potential every game I've seen him and I put him only a slight notch below the very best players in college at the present time. He holds his own against Kessel, Potulny, Stoa and Earl, etc. Personally I think his upside is denigrated because he plays such a gritty game and if he wasn't such a physical little player and an ardent puckhound in the style of less skilled players, he'd actually be thought of as a more offensive player in line with his high skill level.
Jarmo really stole one for the Blues with this kid and he's a legitimate first line talent right along with the very best NCAAers.
all i got to say about this is....

:bow: :bow: :clap: :clap:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
IMO he'll alway be highly valued by the team he's on, loved by his fans and teammates and never get the credit he's due around the league. Kind of like Marco Sturm.

Sherlock

Aug 2, 2005
Minne-snow-ta
I agree with most of this. I think he is very underrated around here, and his offensive game is insane. I remember thinking when he was at Warroad that he'd have more difficulty pulling that off in college, but he has pleasantly surprised me in the games I've seen him play this year.

First line talent isn't out of the question, but I can't help thinking that he'll more likely be a very good second-liner.

Vic Rattlehead*

When he was originally drafted, I said "Who on earth is this guy?".

After I watched him a couple of times, I'm beginning to think that the Blues picked one hell of a talent in the 2005 draft.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
I became a fan of Oshies during the WJC.His blend of grit and skill should be a treat for Blues fans for many years.I'm not sure he has the high skill level to be a 1st liner though but like someone else said a top 2nd liner is definately within his grasp.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
I like him a lot..seen him about 10 x this year..

Not sure on 1st line...maybe on some teams though..

but a good 2nd line player for sure...with possible 1st line upside.

Phanuthier*

When your strong away from the puck, you'll create chances for both your teammates and yourself. That's why I like Oshie... I don't know what you mean by "first line talent" - do you mean like Sakic? Or Daymond Langkow? - but I agree with you his offense is underrated.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Phanuthier said:
When your strong away from the puck, you'll create chances for both your teammates and yourself. That's why I like Oshie... I don't know what you mean by "first line talent" - do you mean like Sakic? Or Daymond Langkow? - but I agree with you his offense is underrated.
It's realistic to think he could become a good 2nd line center, he has the potential to even do more.

ShortHanded

Feb 15, 2006
more like Langkow than Sakic. He's no Joe Sakic. Then again, how many are? I see him as a guy that can pop for 30g's and about 35-40 assists per. 75 point a year guy that plays great away from the puck and brings a ton of intensity to every shift. First liner, IMO.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Phanuthier said:

Probably more like Koivu: kind of guy who can play on a first line, but having him on a second line means the opponent is in trouble.

GorillazXL

Jun 21, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
As an Oilers fan I'm pretty envious the Blues got to him before KP had a chance to call his name out, but I'm happy with Cogliano. They both had great showings for their respective teams at the WJC, but you can tell Oshie has heart to match his skill (I liked his hussle more then Kessel's play). IMHO he's a lot like David Bolland with maybe better skating. We'll see in a few years if he's 1st line material but he's a great player no less. A player that a cup contending team would love to have.

GXL

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
watching the WJC really turned me on to him. He is a little sparkplug that can score. Very gritty as well, will be a good team player and likely a team captain

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Kafka said:
Probably more like Koivu: kind of guy who can play on a first line, but having him on a second line means the opponent is in trouble.
I completely agree with this assessment and have thought as much for a few months now; if he was 6'2" he'd be a clear-cut 1st-liner. (Then again, if he was 6'2" he probably would have been snapped up before the Blues picked at 24.)

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
WJCs and 3 UND games have sold me on Oshie already. I had to decide between Oshie and Cogliano (and Zagrapan fwiw) on my shortlist of late 1st-round offense guys when my pick rolled around... I didn't know enough about any of them, but took Cogliano on the strength of what little I had heard. Then I found out later I was a genius because Cogliano started so well and got so much attention. Whew! But now that I've actually seen them all a bit, I think I actually like Oshie best. Oh well. Who knew? :dunno:

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
From what I've heard he has progressed more than any prospect in his draft over the last 4 years. He had a late start to his hockey career and is loaded with star potential.

Joey13

I couldn't agree more. I thought he was clearly the best forward at the WJC.

I also saw him in person this weekend in Denver and was totally impressed.

I like the Koivu comparison and think he may be a point/game player in the new NHL. I also concur that he will be at that -- rock-solid on the first line or the best player on the ice on the 2nd line -- level.

Like Hasbro, I hate the Sioux and it is absurd how much talent they have. Toews was also ridiculous this weekend.

USA!

Dec 26, 2004
And both T.J. and John have more goals then the great one of the wcha :biglaugh:

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
So between Oshie and Cogliano, who do you think will have the better NHL career?

The reason I'm asking is cause the Oilers wanted to draft Oshie but he was picked just before the Oilers got to him and we had to "settle" with Cogliano.

thx

trublu16

May 8, 2003
U.S.A.
Visit site
WOW this is great :yo: :yo: :yo:

I think this is probably one of those rare times I do not hear all those bashers about the players the Blues have in their system or have rights to.

I am not ashamed to admit it I was "Who the is this guy?" when Jarmo selected this kid. Now I will never second guess Jarmo.

IN Jarmo this Blues fan will trust!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->