Tips for improving wrist shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I was going to suggest using one of those orange, heavy pucks. I suppose the same principal can be used for ball hockey. Fill the ball with sand or something.

One thing I did is I took wrist weights (that would be used by a jogger) and taped them around the lower shaft of my stick with duct tape. It can help you build your wrist strength a little. You don't have to use weights though, you can use anything that's heavy, like a bunch of batteries.

Rakiet*

technique wise bring the puck back behind your leg to wind up and shift your weight with the shot. google away for tips as well..

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Make sure to start the ball back in your stance and position the ball somewhere between the middle and heal of your blade. Start with your weight on your back foot/skate and transfer that weight to your front foot as you shoot. Be sure to follow through to the target and snap or roll over your wrists at the end of the shot. Make sure to use the torque in your body to put some muscle behind the shot. Another thing to be aware of is to "stay down". Don't stand up as you shoot the ball. Keep your head down and focused on your target as you follow through with your body.

Also, you might want to look into going with a lower flex to your stick. A lower number will give you more "whip" to your shot and add speed/strength as a result.

ProctorSilex

Like that jacob guy said, I used to have a stick weight that I attached whenever I was practicing in the backyard, that and a bunch of orange pucks.

Little unorthodox but I used to also start wristing a basketball I had lying around, you'd be surprised how hard it actually is. Once you got a tennis ball after that, it's like shooting a marble.

teamstag

Jun 18, 2005
Spruce Grove
Wrist shots are probably my best shot. Accuracy wise, I'm great but I need to work on my power.

I think I might try those weights you guys suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->