Time to wake up

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Im sick to death on the phrase "wow, that is way too much", in every player (almost) that has signed a new contract people are moaning about the amount of cash. Just look at other sports, how much they earn, the GM's wants to earn money and win titles, not save cents. The stars get more and that is quite logical, so get over it, don't live in the past.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
A statement like "he makes too much" or "whoa, that's an overpayment" is completely relative. Comparing NHLers to NBA players is like comparing NHLers to bus drivers or CEOs or the president. They are in different markets.

I think huge contracts hurt the overall product of the league. Buffalo, Carolina, Edmonton, and Anaheim alllll had one or two (Buffalo and Carolina had zero, one of Anaheim's didn't play) 5M+ players. People say the stars will always get paid and the third/fourth line, third pairing guys will get squeezed. This is true but if you're spending 5M+ on a guy like Kaberle, an average star at best, your team will have a harder time icing a competitive team.

I think people are more angry at the management techniques of a few GMs inflating their better players out of a more reasonable 3-4M range.

KL*

There are certainly players getting paid too much... I mean Richards is a great player, but $8mil, come on... Luongo and Kaberle too

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Im sick to death on the phrase "wow, that is way too much", in every player (almost) that has signed a new contract people are moaning about the amount of cash. Just look at other sports, how much they earn, the GM's wants to earn money and win titles, not save cents. The stars get more and that is quite logical, so get over it, don't live in the past.

People who say this are usually either:

A) Fans of the team who did the signing, and are worried about remaining cap spac; or

B) Want to use the signing as an excuse to ridicule a team they don't like, and point out the cap trouble that their hated rivals are now in due to overpayment.

It has little to do with relativity, except in relation to one number: 44.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
People who say this are usually either:

A) Fans of the team who did the signing, and are worried about remaining cap spac; or

B) Want to use the signing as an excuse to ridicule a team they don't like, and point out the cap trouble that their hated rivals are now in due to overpayment.

It has little to do with relativity, except in relation to one number: 44.
For me it has everything to do with relativity. Guy A plays for some team, gets overpaid, guy B plays for my team and is better than Guy A, has a contract coming up. Guy A's salary screws over my team's salary cap.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
For me it has everything to do with relativity. Guy A plays for some team, gets overpaid, guy B plays for my team and is better than Guy A, has a contract coming up. Guy A's salary screws over my team's salary cap.

Agreed, and that would be point C.

I meant, relativity in terms of other sports, fans' income (the envy factor), etc etc.

Fugu

Agreed, and that would be point C.

I meant, relativity in terms of other sports, fans' income (the envy factor), etc etc.

And here I thought as we introduced more letters of the alphabet, we'd end up at E=mc2... :sarcasm:

SlapnutsV1

Nov 28, 2005
Denver, CO
There's no guarentee that players will receive their entire salaries, as the escrow money could easily go back to the owners.

Wheels

Aug 22, 2004
Jeez...the owners fight hard for a salary cap. Then now that they have one, they put the onus on players to accept less money because the team is out of cap room? If I was someone like Briere or Gomez I would tell the team to pay them what they're worth or trade them elsewhere. They got the cap that they wanted, now they have to live with how it can negatively impact their own team.

vbet*

I enjoy when GM's sign dumb contracts. It just means their team is weaker depth wise and easy pick ups at the trade deadline.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002

so wait ... Daniel Briere (as one example) should care about how it screws your team over?

it was your owners damn fault for wanting the cap to begin with. now live with it. a player is a human and he is entitled to work for as much as someone else is willing to pay him. period.

although, he thinks you are overpaid too, but somehow you will say what you are paid is none of his business.

Jonjmc

Feb 7, 2006

They are getting paid too much, its not the fans but the owners and GMs that are living in the past.

You are correct in that the stars will always get more, what seems to be in doubt is how much more and who are the stars. Look no further than Chara as an example here. I dont think many would rate him as one of the 3 best dman in the league, yet his salary is in the top 3. Richards would be the same example for a forward.

This isnt the NFL, NBA or MLB.... there are no huge television contracts so its not like the NFL where the cap goes up every year. Large market, small market.... doesnt matter. Having half your cap wrapped up in 4 players is not a winning formula.

The players already mentioned in this thread are good examples of overpaid players, there are probably 2 dozen more.... with the number climbing every day with the arbitration awards. Yes, this is market driven, its just that those spending the money dont really understand the market and the new rules yet, but give them time.... they will. It will become evident to all the GMs at some point.... when player x is now 32, has slowed down a step or two, and is relegated to third line duty.... all while still being paid 6 million a year.

They will "get it" then.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
They are getting paid too much, its not the fans but the owners and GMs that are living in the past.

You are correct in that the stars will always get more, what seems to be in doubt is how much more and who are the stars. Look no further than Chara as an example here. I dont think many would rate him as one of the 3 best dman in the league, yet his salary is in the top 3. Richards would be the same example for a forward.

This isnt the NFL, NBA or MLB.... there are no huge television contracts so its not like the NFL where the cap goes up every year. Large market, small market.... doesnt matter. Having half your cap wrapped up in 4 players is not a winning formula.

The players already mentioned in this thread are good examples of overpaid players, there are probably 2 dozen more.... with the number climbing every day with the arbitration awards. Yes, this is market driven, its just that those spending the money dont really understand the market and the new rules yet, but give them time.... they will. It will become evident to all the GMs at some point.... when player x is now 32, has slowed down a step or two, and is relegated to third line duty.... all while still being paid 6 million a year.

They will "get it" then.

:clap:

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
For all of the complaints about how Buffalo is being screwed over now, the team could have solved all of this before July 1 if they had nailed down some of these guys to long-term deals, even if that meant (gasp!) negotiating during the season. It's not like the team didn't know they had 18 RFA's and 14 of them were arbitration eligible until the league released the free agent lists, they just (for whatever reason) didn't get serious about getting long-term deals done until after teams had overpaid for UFA's, thus driving up the prices of their own players.

Fugu

For all of the complaints about how Buffalo is being screwed over now, the team could have solved all of this before July 1 if they had nailed down some of these guys to long-term deals, even if that meant (gasp!) negotiating during the season. It's not like the team didn't know they had 18 RFA's and 14 of them were arbitration eligible until the league released the free agent lists, they just (for whatever reason) didn't get serious about getting long-term deals done until after teams had overpaid for UFA's, thus driving up the prices of their own players.

I think like many GMs, they did not believe player prices would go up as quickly as they did. Hey, there was an individual cap AND a league cap. That was going to get rid of the laws of supply/demand and outlaw GM stupidity all in one!!

vbet*

I think like many GMs, they did not believe player prices would go up as quickly as they did. Hey, there was an individual cap AND a league cap. That was going to get rid of the laws of supply/demand and outlaw GM stupidity all in one!!

If they would have raised teh cap to 41 or so million these dumb contracts wouldnt have happend.

Fugu

If they would have raised teh cap to 41 or so million these dumb contracts wouldnt have happend.

That is the beauty of the linkage the NHL wanted. This is their deal and their number. 54% of revenues approaching $2.1 billion yield a cap with the range we will get this season.

Brent Burns Beard