Time to trade in ?

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Got a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5 L. with 124,000 miles
Its been a good car, only regular maintenance, until now.

I need a new Power Steering pump. I have quotes from $ 226 to $ 450 to replace.
I should also get the timing belt changed, which for this car is $850.
There is also a new squeak from the underneath when I go over a bump, that comes and goes and I should get identified.

Dealerships are offering me $880 to $1300 for a trade in.
One day I think I'll get it fixed, the next trade it in.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
These might be decent points to consider:

If you're handy and can do work yourself: fix it and sell it, or fix it and keep driving
If you're not and have money to spare, or at least to cover getting into and supporting a new(er) car: trade it in
If you're not and want to get as much life out of it as possible before spending money elsewhere: have it fixed and drive it 'til death

I've always been pro-drive cars until death, but as I age with more money and less time my mind has shifted. Of course, not everyone has the option but figure where you fit and see if it helps you lean one way or another. I do realize that if you already have your mind set on a new(er) replacement, that feeling isn't likely to go away so you might as well get on with it and make yourself happy. Just don't put yourself into a bad situation with a replacement you can't afford like many geniuses do (not that I expect you intend to, but just sayin').

Good luck whatever ya do.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I'd get rid of it. Lots of places would only offer you scrap money for a 13 year old car needing upwards of $2,000 in work.

These might be decent points to consider:

If you're handy and can do work yourself: fix it and sell it, or fix it and keep driving

Unless fixing cars is a hobby he's particular fond of, replacing the power steering pump and especially the timing belt are not going to be stuff he can do.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I'd get rid of it. Lots of places would only offer you scrap money for a 13 year old car needing upwards of $2,000 in work.

Unless fixing cars is a hobby he's particular fond of, replacing the power steering pump and especially the timing belt are not going to be stuff he can do.

Getting the Power Steering pump done for around 200. Will get the timing belt
done shortly.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown

Obviously, but sometimes people find new hobbies out of necessity or trying new things. That's how it happened for me. Although, I had tools available so that will make or break that idea pretty quickly!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->