Time to Move the Team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
The tickets in the lower bowl are expensive because they're almost all owned by season ticket holders. Many of which are, as we always hear, owned by corporations. Those seats are expensive as hell and often empty - have been for years (even throughout our sellout streaks and sometimes in playoff games). The upper bowl is cheaper - rush tickets are like 15-20 bucks depending on the game, and it sells really well. A lot of people move down to lowers but the upper bowl is usually pretty full from my experience at games (yeah, I pretty much can only afford those uppers).

It looks worse on TV than it is in reality.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
"Daniel Alfredsson made is #RedWings debut tonight in front of a sold out Joe Louis Arena. #stickflex…"

That's from the Red Wings twitter. lock this thread.

If you want to lock it, fine lock it. I honestly just wanted to create a conversation as I think it's an important topic.

And I never said it wasn't sold out, just that the Joe was very empty.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
If you want to lock it, fine lock it. I honestly just wanted to create a conversation as I think it's an important topic.

Well, it's kind of hard to believe that it's very empty as I'm watching the game now and I see a lot of bodies, plus the game was sold out.

Don't know what to tell you, man. :dunno:

Dats13DET

Aug 13, 2010
Canada

When you call for the team to be moved, It kinda makes posters think that you're saying that there aren't enough fans to support the club. If the team is making money, the team will simply not move.

TouringReg

Sep 27, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Watch the Leafs at home on Saturday night, or the Rangers at MSG and tell us how many people are in the lower bowl (especially the first few rows). Better relocate them too!

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
Arent we the 3rd team in town right now too? Lions always have fans no matter the season and theyre 3-1 right now so lots of talk about them and the tigers are going into the playoffs as division winners

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
There's a perception flaw in general these days. People confuse "empty seats" with "half-empty". Half-empty would mean 10,000 empty seats. You get that on occasion with some of the worst attended teams but with teams like the Wings people see that some sections are only sporadically filled and it's "omg there's no-one there".

There should be like a rule of thumb that everything people on the internet complain about is in reality 50% less bad and everything people on the internet celebrate is in reality about 50% less great.

crashman

On a personal and selfish level, I've enjoyed the last 10 or so years because I've been able to buy tickets the day of the game for way under face value, without any problem. If I choose to go to a game last minute, I can go for cheap, and I love it!

They constantly claim sellouts when there are plenty of empty seats in the Joe, but it really doesn't bother me. I'm just thinking about numero uno here.

When the Tigers are done for the season, people will care more about the Wings. I don't think there is a big overlap in Lions and Wings fans, but there definitely is with baseball here in Detroit.

There's a perception flaw in general these days. People confuse "empty seats" with "half-empty". Half-empty would mean 10,000 empty seats. You get that on occasion with some of the worst attended teams but with teams like the Wings people see that some sections are only sporadically filled and it's "omg there's no-one there".

There should be like a rule of thumb that everything people on the internet complain about is in reality 50% less bad and everything people on the internet celebrate is in reality about 50% less great.

Can this also apply to the discussion of players on the Red Wings roster, and the Coach/GM?

Slava13Kozlov

Jun 10, 2012
I was at the game last night and I can tell you that it was a pretty full stadium. The only seats open happened to be in the lower bowl and as you could see, it was sets of multiple seats (5+). These are all company seats that did not show up. The upper bowl was completely full with very few seats open. As for people leaving early, with the construction outside of the Joe going towards Cobo Roof, as well as the construction on the roof as well (AND only one lane open getting out) it took me about 50 minutes to get from the Joe to the highway. I stayed until the end, but I can't blame people leaving early as it is impossible to get out of the city after a game.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yeah, I said it.

The Joe was half empty tonight......opening freaking night. As much as some of the management decisions have pissed me off in recent days, the team is not getting the level of respect they deserve from it's fans. We made the biggest splash in the off season within the last 6 or 7 years AND we moved to the east.......yet still that isn't enough to have a full house on opening night? Then to top it off, another 50% start heading for the exit with 2 minutes to go in a 2-1 game? Absolutely pathetic.

Honestly, it's embarrassing to have such an amazing francise yet not have the fans to support them, especially when bottom tier teams like Edmonton sell out game after game despite their location in the standings.

And yes, I get the economy is s*** and Detroit is in the toilet, but so is New Jersey and yet even when they were tanking last season, their arena looked full night after night...

If this keeps up, I'm personally fine with new owner Chris Illitch moving the team to an area that can show the team the respect it deserves.

What do you guys think?

Man get a life? One game doesn't make a whole season.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
That was actually their 102nd consecutive sellout last night. I don't know if you've ever been to the Joe, but it takes FOREVER to do anything in there. Going to the bathroom is a chore and lines for concessions, restrooms etc. take forever because the arena was setup so poorly. It always seems like there are thousands of people walking around during the game because of what I just mentioned. So the tickets are being sold here.

Even when I was in a suite, there was a couple person wait for our 1 bathroom, so I figured just go down the hall to one and walk around the building a bit. I asked the usher and the closest bathroom was at least 7 minutes away, it was ridiculous. So poorly setup arena has a lot to do with it I think

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Personally I just chalked it up to it being a late start game on a weekday and people didnt want to wait in traffic. Im talking about the last couple minutes of the game as i didnt notice empty seats during the 1st 2 periods.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Yeah, I was at the game and it was packed and very loud during the opening ceremonies. And yes, it was an announced sellout.

I know a lot of people look at empty seats throughout the game and think people aren't at the game but, really, that has more to do with how cramped the Joe is and how hard it is to move around the concourse during intermissions. It's hard to get out of your section, move to whatever vending station you are looking for, use the restrooms and get back to your seats in 15 minutes. The Joe really is that difficult to move around.

Do the Wings need to move? Yes, they do. To a new arena that isn't a cramped, concrete box and that actually has a modern design layout that makes sense for people to move around.

Do the Wings need to move due to a lack of fan support? No, that's absolutely ridiculous.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If this keeps up, I'm personally fine with new owner Chris Illitch moving the team to an area that can show the team the respect it deserves.

What do you guys think?

So... let's move to the Temple Street on 2015-16, like planned, right?

I watched both Flyers and Red Wings games from Gamecenter, and the Wings atmosphere were hands down better. Could be microphones, but man it was quiet at Philadelphia.

RedWingsNow*

Well, it's kind of hard to believe that it's very empty as I'm watching the game now and I see a lot of bodies, plus the game was sold out.

Don't know what to tell you, man. :dunno:

For opening night, that was "very empty."

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
emp·ty
adjective \ˈem(p)-tē\
: containing nothing
: not having any people : not occupied

very
adjective \ˈver-ē, ˈve-rē\
: used to emphasize that you are talking about one specific thing or part and not another

Hmmmmmm.....

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Ya, y'know what Gang? The entire premise of this thread is merely an Invitation to a Burning Man Flamefest. So what if ticket sales are either sluggish or if people simply arent showing up & not using their tickets this early in the season. Same phenomena occurs in Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, league-wide.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad