Speculation: Time to move on from Matt Martin?

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Before we move on from Martin, I would be tempted to protect Matthews and Nylander by putting Martin as a winger on that line.

I think Martin might just have as much skill as Hyman with the ability to enforce if necessary.

Just a thought, maybe not a good one, but, if Hyman can be attached to Matthews, why not Martin?
Hyman flies out there and Martin is pretty slow. Also Hyman is outstanding on the forecheck and Martin can throw the odd big hit but isn’t great at digging out pucks. Matthews and Nylander would feel safer out there but they would definitely miss good old Zac.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
You realize Babcock currently has made Martin a healthy scratch.....

Guess he’s changed his mind.

You realize Martin was scratched vs soft teams? Context is a neat thing...

Sometimes you use the hammer sometimes you use the screwdriver, what ever tool fits the job you use.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah Martin is fine for this season as a guy you throw into tough matchups but he shouldn’t be a fixture in the lineup. Kapanen and Leivo should be swapped in on a regular basis.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
How so? You're making an assumption, without providing supporting data, that the benefit of a goon is goons decrease injuries. Maybe Martin brings things that are not obvious to a lay fan?
I was addressing the idea of enforcers as a deterrent. That was the topic. Obviously Martin can bring other things, and obviously enforcers as a group can have other effects.

As for not providing the data, I just can't find that study again. I'm sorry about that. I hope people know that it's not a habit of mine to talk out of my behind about things like this though.

What teams don't have any grit in their line up?
Grit wasn't the topic. We scratch Martin as an enforcer, and you proclaimed that it was now open season. I said that most of the league plays without enforcers, without there being an open season.

If you meant that we now had an absence of grit at all, I'd both disagree and apologize for misunderstanding what you meant.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He'll stick around until the summer but we should not be surprised if he's traded at some point. He's a league minimum ish player making 3rd line money.

He's a fine tough player and he's not a complete liability but unfortunately, we will likely need the cap space for actual role players.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's almost like I said about injecting kids in the end of the season to add new life to the team is a real thing. It's almost as if I studied this and actually know what I am talking about when I said Martin was uselesss. Maybe Babcock will figure out Moore is useless as well and that Bozak could probably be replaced with a shuffle and net better results.

Reactions: Menzinger

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Depending on what happens with Komarov will determine the role left behind for Martin.

I personally think Komarov is an allstar playing 4th line hockey. Same way Draper and Maltby did for the good old Red Wings back in the day. If there is a strategy in dropping Komarov down to the 4th line to help team but at same time lower potential contract demands in the future. I can see Komarov staying put as our 4th line super pest, PK guy. Martin will be as good as gone.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Depending on what happens with Komarov will determine the role left behind for Martin.

I personally think Komarov is an allstar playing 4th line hockey. Same way Draper and Maltby did for the good old Red Wings back in the day. If there is a strategy in dropping Komarov down to the 4th line to help team but at same time lower potential contract demands in the future. I can see Komarov staying put as our 4th line super pest, PK guy. Martin will be as good as gone.

I would sign Komarov to a 3 year 1.7m deal today and trade Martin away the very next moment. He may even be worth 2m!

Reactions: Menzinger

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Yeah Martin is fine for this season as a guy you throw into tough matchups but he shouldn’t be a fixture in the lineup. Kapanen and Leivo should be swapped in on a regular basis.
This is what I've been saying since Martin arrived. He does not have to be an every game player at all. Use him as needed and no more.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
As for not providing the data, I just can't find that study again. I'm sorry about that. I hope people know that it's not a habit of mine to talk out of my behind about things like this though.

Sure you don't ... ;) ... so kidding..

At the end of the day it matters not to me who is in our line up as long as we play fast, aggressively forecheck, move the puck out of our own end quickly and create havoc in the offensive zone. Entertain me and I'm happy. I'm way past the days of having hero's ... or giving a crap who is in or out of the lineup.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
If he plays again there is a serious problem

Him and polak should never see the ice again

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think there will be nights we will want him in.

Ryan Reaves or a Tom Wilson type night....you may want him around.

Agreed. Pens overpaid for Reaves because the Caps took liberties at Crosby in the playoffs. We need Martin to be on standby as insurance.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Sometimes you use the hammer sometimes you use the screwdriver, what ever tool fits the job you use.

Looks like he’s still scratched and Matthews, Nylander, and Marner haven’t suffered multiple concussions each game.

Kapanen got the game winning goal too - sure Babcock took note of that.

Reactions: stickty111

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I would sign Komarov to a 3 year 1.7m deal today and trade Martin away the very next moment. He may even be worth 2m!

If the Leafs do trade Martin, I’d be fine using that saved cap to ink Leo on a short term deal for some grit on that 4th line. He can be that aggressive forchecker but still has some puck skills

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Looks like he’s still scratched and Matthews, Nylander, and Marner haven’t suffered multiple concussions each game.

Kapanen got the game winning goal too - sure Babcock took note of that.

Thank you for devolving this discussion the the utter absurd.

No one suggested for a second that Martin prevents concussions but hey if you want to create a transparently silly and obtuse discussion about multiple concussions, just so you can win the internet, well then Bravo, you won a race with one contestant. Feel better? ;)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Thank you for devolving this discussion the the utter absurd.

No one suggested for a second that Martin prevents concussions but hey if you want to create a transparently silly and obtuse discussion about multiple concussions, just so you can win the internet, well then Bravo, you won a race with one contestant. Feel better? ;)

You’ve been consistently arguing that Martin acts as a deterrent against other teams roughing up the team’s core guys (ie, cheap shots/attempts to injur).

Currently Babcock seems to feel that’s not a concern at the moment. All I’m doing is pointing out what the coach is doing

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He'll stick around until the summer but we should not be surprised if he's traded at some point. He's a league minimum ish player making 3rd line money.

He's a fine tough player and he's not a complete liability but unfortunately, we will likely need the cap space for actual role players.
If Martin does not get traded by the deadline this month I can see it happening around or at the draft. His contract should not be that hard to move.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
You’ve been consistently arguing that Martin acts as a deterrent against other teams roughing up the team’s core guys (ie, cheap shots/attempts to injur).

Currently Babcock seems to feel that’s not a concern at the moment. All I’m doing is pointing out what the coach is doing

No what you were doing is taking the debate to the absurd.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I'd be thrilled if we could trade him and get anything, don't think that is in the cards. More likely we will make the bonus payment this summer, then trade him. Maybe throw in a low draft pick to help move him.
Minority view, but at this point I think he has negative value. Mind you, I thought that when we signed him.
And the signing was proof our management is in fact very fallible.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wouldn't mind if they traded Martin but if they keep him that is fine too, depth is never a bad thing, injuries happen, if Komarov goes down with an injury having Martin there isn't a bad thing, Martin is quality 4th line guy, he can play having a guy like that as an extra forward in case of an injury to a guy like Komarov is a good thing.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015

Martin is a useless tool, serves no purpose except to stoke the imagination of people who believe enforcers have any role anymore. I just thought of it, Martin is a buggy whip!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->