Speculation: Time to move on from Matt Martin?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
cropped_GettyImages-620680540.jpg

Time to move on from Matt Martin?

The Leafs have recently made Matt Martin a healthy scratch and the Leafs have started to look to like a very good hockey team. This is not all entirely on Martin as Leo Komarov was likely due for a demotion after he, Kadri and Marleau went on a cold streak for several weeks. Martin was victim of the numbers game as the Leafs deployed a new look 4th line. Komarov looked good alongside veteran Dominic Moore and young gun Kasperi Kapanen, although Kapanen is probably more deserving of a place higher in the line up then the 4th line.

Posting this now since I am not sure when I would be able to get to it again as I am going to be on nights.

Cheers everyone.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I wonder what the perception is about needing someone who can fight on the roster, even if it's not someone who's in the lineup every night

I also can't wait until that's not even a consideration, and seems like those days are coming

Reactions: robertmac43

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
I long for the no instigator rule days. Hockey was way more honest.

Now it’s a more skilled game, but a much softer game. I don’t like it.

Nobody forces you to watch it or play it.

Last edited by a moderator:

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I wonder what the perception is about needing someone who can fight on the roster, even if it's not someone who's in the lineup every night

I also can't wait until that's not even a consideration, and seems like those days are coming
you dont think hockey fights belong in the game?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I know there are a lot of Islanders posters that would love to have him back.

Sadly, I don't think we've gotten to see the Matt Martin that played in Long Island.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I know there are a lot of Islanders posters that would love to have him back.

Sadly, I don't think we've gotten to see the Matt Martin that played in Long Island.
It's ok we just need him to convince Tavares he wants to play on the same team with Martin again.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The Leafs would be wise to grab whatever value they can from him, if value exists. We have better coming up and unfortunately, he's being paid too much for his role and contributions.

I like the guy but there's no way he should hold a permanent spot.

Reactions: HansonBro

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I remember when he first signed him after his play on the NYI, he was a part of the one of the best 4th lines in hockey back then. I don't know if he's lost some speed or he's trying to do stuff he's not capable of on the ice but I don't always feel safe when he's on the ice. I'm guessing we'd need a really good 4th line center (A 3rd line center?) to kind of insulate him but is it worth it for what he brings? I believe Gauthier is still developing his game and could end up being the solution for that line. Right now though I think he's getting a lot of flack for that line.

He's not even doing that bad this season compared to his past seasons. He's currently on pace for 19 points which would tie his career high 2 years ago and doubling the amount of points he had last year with the Leafs.

I still like him as a guy to have around for the younger guys, Mitch has really taken a liking to him especially. I don't think Martin is a problem if we got a good enough 4th line center to help him out down there but I could be way off base. Personally I think we still have enough space for him once we've moved out other guys but I might just have a soft spot for a good guy like Martin.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I'm fine selling him off, but also fine holding onto him and simply not re-signing Komarov/Moore, then going with some combination of Martin/Aaltonen/Gauthier/Soshnikov next year as the 4th line.

Komarov for this season though should really be staying on the 4th line and the PK. He could even centre the 4th line, letting them play Martin over Moore. But I like the idea of having a bit more skill alongside Kadri/Marleau.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Thought he'd be a bit of a tough sell because of the two full remaining years on his contract, but the front loaded contract and signing bonus might help. Retaining isn't feasible, but I wonder if we'd have to take back a salary/contract in any trade? A deal might be something we look into as he's been a healthy scratch a few times and we have wingers in the wait, but we could also keep him for another season and have more options when he's going into the final season of that contract.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Seems like a good guy and I admire his willingness to protect his teammates

That said his contract sucks and he's hurting our ability to ice a 4th line that can help eat minutes and take up some of the defensive load

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Respect and honesty are the book ends of life bro. If the players don't respect you as a teammate, like anything else, you are done!

Well Les did a great service to Jeremy Hill. I think Jeremy is in prison now, but that was unavoidable, most likely.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
The Leafs would be wise to grab whatever value they can from him, if value exists. We have better coming up and unfortunately, he's being paid too much for his role and contributions.

I like the guy but there's no way he should hold a permanent spot.
pretty bad contract, but maybe some team would take him without us having to sweeten the pot.

His cap hit could be better allocated, so I hope they'll try to trade him this offseason.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Before we move on from Martin, I would be tempted to protect Matthews and Nylander by putting Martin as a winger on that line.

I think Martin might just have as much skill as Hyman with the ability to enforce if necessary.

Just a thought, maybe not a good one, but, if Hyman can be attached to Matthews, why not Martin?

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Interesting article in the athletic on Marty, clear he is really feeling it! He has a big leadership role on the team but they could never have predicted 2 years ago they could get Marleau. We are still missing toughness of a power forward and D which is critical in the playoffs. For all these reasons I don't think we have the right roster to compete thru multiple playoff rounds. Boyle helped us last yr but I'm not sure I see how we build all the skills necessary to go deep in the playoffs.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
He's actually scoring a surprising amount considering his role, but he will never be good enough to merit the ridiculous contract he got. I don't understand why GMs pay big bucks for fourth line talent and trade first round picks for guys like Ryan Reaves when there are so many adequate bottom 6 forwards available for basically league minimum every year.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If we get a good offer, then take it. Look at what Reaves got, and Martin is a better hockey player. Of course also makes more money, but that can be worked out.

At the same time, he does still give the team something they could use for the 4th line. He may get a little bit pricey, but 2 more years is not back breaking for a guy who can play physical and eat some minutes. Come playoff time, that's especially nice to have. There are many combinations of players you can use with him (even internally) and form a great 4th line.

I do think he makes Komarov expendable too. Pretty much he can take Komarov's money for the next couple of years, and at any point he gets too pricey, he is still good enough where you can probably move him for something decent if you take a little bit of salary back.

If he's our worst contract (and really only overpaid contract) which is not injured or dead money, I think we are in a good spot. As long as we keep it that way...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->