Time for jersey sponsorship and team naming rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Teams could sell a 4 inch by 12 inch spot on both the front and the back of the jersey, and 4"x4" patch on the sleeves. Many other sports do it, its very popular in swedish hockey (many more patches than just those 4). Maybe its time the NHL catches up. It would be worth millions per team.

More radical (and no doubt hated by 95%) is team naming rights.
Millions more in that. It would blow away naming rights for buildings.
Pepsi Maple Leafs v Coors Predators
Geritol Red Wings v Molson Canadiens
Enron Rangers v Arthur Anderson Senators
(ok so not even I would approve of naming rights for teams but I'll float it anyway)

Both of these schemes would be administered by the NHL and revenue distrubuted equally, like the national TV revenue.

I know you will initially hate these ideas, but they do raise money for the weaker (and stronger) clubs. The NHLPA backers would approve because it raises league revenues and must raise the amount under salary caps.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
me2 said:
its very popular in swedish hockey (many more patches than just those 4). Maybe its time the NHL catches up.

Catches up? All those ads look rediclous.

I know your trying trying to think outside the box, but if the NHL goes the way of the European leagues, or starts naming teams the Nestle Maple Leafs I'm done with professional hockey.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Toonces said:
Catches up? All those ads look rediclous.

I know your trying trying to think outside the box, but if the NHL goes the way of the European leagues, or starts naming teams the Nestle Maple Leafs I'm done with professional hockey.

You mean you wouldn't want to see the Tampax Red Wings take on the Sather's Pixar Space Rangers (team logo: Buzz Lightyear, team moto: "Payrolls to infinity and beyond!")? (ok I'm joking).

I still think branding on logos could work. It'd make millions for the teams. And they players would love it because 54 cents in every dollar from the logo on their back goes to them.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Jussi said:
I don't think that's the idea. But a few small ads, e.g. at the top of the helmet,the side of the pants and on the shoulders? Check out some the "cleanest" jerseys in Finland, HIFK and Jokerit.
Ugh. It looks like the skates even have advertising on them. The day any ads appear in team uniforms will be a terrible day for the sport, in my opinion.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Seachd said:
Ugh. It looks like the skates even have advertising on them. The day any ads appear in team uniforms will be a terrible day for the sport, in my opinion.

I said to check out the jerseys, not skates.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Jussi said:
I said to check out the jerseys, not skates.
Yes, I realize that. But does it even matter? What's the difference? Jerseys, skates, helmets, pants, gloves, sticks, who cares? It's all the same. The NHL would be a laughingstock.

Bruins4Ever

Sep 12, 2004
Caledonia, Ontario
Hahaha, they even have ads on the helmets. Do the sticks have McDonalds wrapers taped around them too? One small ad on the back of the jersey, or on the front of the jersey wouldn't be bad, but those are just horrible. :amazed:

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
too colourfull! i like the names idea.Nike Blue Jackets, Paramount Canada's Avalanche, and as Me2 said Tampax Red Wings, and Molson Canadiens.

Fan-in-Van

Dec 13, 2004
I think that many people here are worried about how the jersey's would look. Two points to that: first, it is first and foremost about the product on the ice. If a team could raise a few million here and there and therefore afford to be on the ice, then I say, "Go for it!" Secondly, I would bet that if enough of us would collectively agree to sponsor Boston and Nashville we might be able to cover up some of that mustard-inspired attire that now flops around the ice.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
wow, I find this kind of funny. Shutting the sport down for up to two years is more acceptable than putting some ads on the jerseys...

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Winger98 said:
wow, I find this kind of funny. Shutting the sport down for up to two years is more acceptable than putting some ads on the jerseys...
You don't see the (major) differences?

Mitchnesses

Hunk of Monkey Love
Jun 7, 2004
Orange County, CA
Seachd said:
Yes, I realize that. But does it even matter? What's the difference? Jerseys, skates, helmets, pants, gloves, sticks, who cares? It's all the same. The NHL would be a laughingstock.

The NHL already is a laughingstock. As much as I'd hate to see ads on jerseys, something different needs to be done.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
mitchrock said:
The NHL already is a laughingstock. As much as I'd hate to see ads on jerseys, something different needs to be done.
And ads on jerseys are going to attract more viewers?

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Then we could decide ties by having each team pick a skater to skate around the rink 500 times. The fastest would win. NASCAR on ice. What an idea. Then each player could sell their own naming rights. The post game interview:

Bob Cole: Great game tonight.
Trever Uniden Bearcat Scanner: Thanks, Bob. I had a lot of help out there. You don't know how much I was helped by Lipton Iced tea(pointing to the tattoo on is left arm) and Preperation H (sorry he can't show that tattoo on the air). They have meant so much to my ability to provide the fans with a great experience. Make sure to pick up a Scanner so you can listen to me miked during the game.

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
sabresfan65 said:
Then we could decide ties by having each team pick a skater to skate around the rink 500 times. The fastest would win. NASCAR on ice. What an idea. Then each player could sell their own naming rights. The post game interview:

Bob Cole: Great game tonight.
Trever Uniden Bearcat Scanner: Thanks, Bob. I had a lot of help out there. You don't know how much I was helped by Lipton Iced tea(pointing to the tattoo on is left arm) and Preperation H (sorry he can't show that tattoo on the air). They have meant so much to my ability to provide the fans with a great experience. Make sure to pick up a Scanner so you can listen to me miked during the game.

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

LOL.

mikeg

Feb 28, 2004
doesn't this all come down to greed?

i just want to see profesional hockey, i don't care if it's midgets in diapers draped in corprate propaganda. if they hit, score and work hard i'm oblivious to what they look like, what their names are and where they came from. enough is enough, dress up some scabs give them their trojan clad jersey's and break this union in half.

while they're at it they can give me lots of free stuff to earn back my loyalty then in a few years forget about me.

mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad